model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Oil level and sticker (again)

Post by higgy »

Please develop above statements, higgy,
what spring could be faulty f e? :huh:
Gert,I will get to this as soon as I can

Another twist in the oil level saga

One 906 has a sticker showing the middle of the site glass as max and a lower hard to see indication of the lower level

The other has only ribs...
And the 907 3 casting ribs

I would have to say from all this the proper oil level is somewhere in triangle formed by the 3 dots on the casting inside the site glass with the bike on level ground in the upright position as all three Paso's have this feature. Make sense?
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
micklm
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by micklm »

Higgy,

Perfect sense :) Fill it with oil, run. Repeat. If it don't seize - all's good :)

So I guess it can't be that senstive (and I suppose I knew that). It just bugs me that they bothered to make stickers for no real signficant reason.

Then and again - I've seen companies waste more money on less important things!

Cheers for the input and photos,

Mick
906 Paso 1989 w/ 17in wheels :)
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

No hurry, just curious... :thumbup:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

micklm wrote:Higgy,

Perfect sense :) Fill it with oil, run. Repeat. If it don't seize - all's good :)

So I guess it can't be that senstive (and I suppose I knew that). It just bugs me that they bothered to make stickers for no real signficant reason.

Then and again - I've seen companies waste more money on less important things!

Cheers for the input and photos,

Mick
Im with you on this one after figuring out that the difference wasnt enough to loose sleep over. I pumped out 1.5 litres of oil via a disintergrating oil pressure switch whilst limping home with no ill effects.
Why ? Whenever you are scratching your ( paso ) head and asking your self WTF !? the answer is actually written all over your bike........... Made in Italy
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Tamburinifan wrote:
No hurry, just curious... :thumbup:

Well found some time, seems Ducati saw fit not to include a relief spring in the engine except in the filter. At least not that I have found so far. This makes the alignment of the pump to the engine very critical and also makes the screen cleanliness extremely important. If I find out anything different I will post it under a new thread. Still have one plug to remove :?: :?: :?:

One more twist,found another tag in the driveway which must have come off the 906. It shows a completely different oil level inidication :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Will post a pic when I get the chance . Off for a one week vacation to the beach ttys have a great week :thumbup:
Whenever you are scratching your ( paso ) head and asking your self WTF !? the answer is actually written all over your bike........... Made in Italy

Mctool, to the point a s usual :fart:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
du907

Post by du907 »

I have a 907. All my mechanics and the shop that rebuilt my engine says oil level between the marks. Below is from the 907 manual.

The o-rings between the head and cylinder is another problem. My engine re-builder says the oil passages and water passages there are not very high pressure passages. The trick is to get the head tighten down evenly all around. I myself have tried to stop the leaks there 5 times. I have taken it to 3 shops and they couldn't get it stopped. I then tried over-sized o-rings and that didn't work either. However, on the engine rebuild with the engine out of the frame and tighten down evenly on a work bench, it has pretty much stopped leaking there. Next time you or the shop tries again, try removing the bolts from the cylinder to the frame and then tighten the head bolts. Then, put the frame bolts back. Also, with the engine in the frame, it's hard to get the proper torque on the head nuts with the frame getting in the way so then it becomes a matter of multiplying the torque wrench settings depending on the torque wrench angle, thus the problem with getting the head torqued evenly all around.
du907
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

The 2 oil level lines have nothing to do with the engine being hot or cold, and has also nothing to do with measuring oil levels on the side stand or whatever.

The decal with the upper oil mark at the bottom was used for a while by Ducati on several models because they had problems with oil staying too cold, effecting engine performance and durability. They tried to solve this by lowering the oil level, thereby speeding up the temperature rise of the oil
However, and this goes especially for bikes with one or more oil coolers, once the bike started to run, the amount of oil in the lines and the coolers was enough to drop the engine oil level to a dangerous level, creating even worse durability issues as you can imagine.
Because of this the decal was dropped again and they returned to the original top oil level. Off course by than plenty of bikes still had them (and even now still do), and manuals were wrong as well because of that.
The solution is to remove the decal and top up to top level, which is almost the top of the sight glass.

I got this information from people that worked for the Dutch Ducati importer in the early nineties, that happened to have office in the same building as the bike shop where I worked at the time (same owner). I've always relied on their input and have never seen issues due to the top level fill, apart from bikes getting oil/condensation sludge on the sight glass at moderate ambient temperatures.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

[quote
One more twist,found another tag in the driveway which must have come off the 906. It shows a completely different oil level inidication :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:quote]

Mmmm an oil level sticker lying on the drive way...... that could have been handy the time I forgot to refit the sump plug before tipping the oil in :mad: :mad: , so friggin concerntrating on not spilling the oil ( no funnel :banghead: ) that I didnt notice it all pooling round me boots, Yeah !! and there's another effin thing,this would never happen with cheap oil.........yeah nearly the whole 4 litres
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

hat I didnt notice it all pooling round me boots, Yeah !! and there's another effin thing,this would never happen with cheap oil.........yeah nearly the whole 4 litres
Guess those squeeky sheep boots needed some work :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too many trips to the pool !

You must have seen this one coming Mctool :fart: :fart: :banghead:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
micklm
year: 1989

Post by micklm »

Because of this the decal was dropped again and they returned to the original top oil level. Off course by than plenty of bikes still had them (and even now still do), and manuals were wrong as well because of that.
Thanks for the information - I was wondering if it might be something like this. Sounds like most folks top up towards the top level so I'll continue to do so just like I always have done with the later model SS.
906 Paso 1989 w/ 17in wheels :)
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

The 2 oil level lines have nothing to do with the engine being hot or cold, and has also nothing to do with measuring oil levels on the side stand or whatever.
I gotta disagree with the sidestand part of this statement.
Bike should not be on any stand and upright on level ground when checking your oil level regardless of where you think the level should be and even this assumes the proper ride height laden or unladen. Also only the 750's have any oil cooler.
Aside from that if I see oil in the window,I'm not worried :beer:
The rest is just something to talk about,an interesting story to say the least :thumbup:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:
hat I didnt notice it all pooling round me boots, Yeah !! and there's another effin thing,this would never happen with cheap oil.........yeah nearly the whole 4 litres
Guess those squeeky sheep boots needed some work :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too many trips to the pool !

You must have seen this one coming Mctool :fart: :fart: :banghead:
actually they are cow hide from Pakistan, which is weird coz I thought cows were sacred there.Making bike boots must be real important. And yeah I did see this one comming but, if Id seen anyone else about do that I would, a) not tell them till it was to late b) tell everyone else (especially his wife/partner )and c) probly still be laughing
lets see who else is honest enough to fess up :lol:
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Okay I gotta say it as I am itching too. :wacko:

I can't do as I suggest as my 907ie is in bits and I don't want to waste the oil, as both engines are drained.

Would the best answer not be for those with a running 750/906 or 907ie, to on their next oil change, refill with exactly the correct amount of oil as specified and then to register exactly where the level sits in relation to the sight glass?

Also with this in mind log what oil grade you are using as obviously if you are regularly using your bike in -3C UK winter time then you would maybe choose something slightly differnet to that if you were regularly cruising Daytona Beach +whateverC?

Infact you could just drop the oil out and refill and then know for certain where it lies on your own bike?

Irrespective of what you can see I always go by what the manufacture would suggest and usaually used the site glass just to see how much condensation was in the engine as normally that's all you could see????? And if it needed filling which is normally after a hard or fast blast then it was just a cupful at most any more and I would be looking for a leak or suspect burning waste with smoke. :smoke:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

if Id seen anyone else about do that I would, a) not tell them till it was to late b) tell everyone else (especially his wife/partner )and c) probly still be laughing
lets see who else is honest enough to fess up :lol:
When I was an active Technician, we referred to this as an oil flush. The best one I witnessed in 30 years of working at various auto and motorcycle shops was about 30 gallons. Overhead system with the handle in the locked on position,drain plug sitting on the bench and the guy walked away. If the mess on the floor wasn't bad enough or the oil all over the engine..the interior of a very rare Maserati Bora also got the treatment for about 5 gallons. The entire weeks profits went into restoring a very expensive leather interior. My own personal best involved an old Fiat 128. Drained the trans and then added 4 quarts into the engine and went for a ride,talk about your crop duster :wacko: Then there was the time,beaming with pride I managed to do a clutch on a 2.8 blazer in an hour and a half. Only to find I left the clutch disc sitting in the box on my workbench :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I could go on for hours including more than one idiotic mistake which ended in very tragic circumstance. :cry:
But I tend to talk too much :beer: :beer:
and my last brain cell is very tired :drunk:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

actually they are cow hide from Pakistan, which is weird coz I thought cows were sacred there.
Pakistan is muslim not hindu. Therefore the country split from India after the british left their colonies after WW2.