Front and rear sprocket

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
hardo
year: 0

Front and rear sprocket

Post by hardo »

dear all

as far as i know there had been two combinations of front and rear sprocket on the paso 906 originally: 15 / 38 and 15 / 40.

right now i am changing the chain and sprocket as well at the tires (from michelin to avon st 45 / 46 ST ZR 130/70 and 150/80 - thank you to g. / paso 750 for this hint from ducati germany). The combinations 14 / 40 (which was on my bike before) did not work with the avon tires (chain hits swingarm etc.).

does anybody know which sprockets are available front and rear for the paso 906 (is there a front 13 - that should work)? where can i get them online www-online? (it is very hard to get them here in switzerland via the regional dealers, they always came up with combinations that are not right for the paso).

thank you for your help, hardo
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Front and rear sprocket

Post by paso750 »

Hardo,

why does the chain touch the swingarm ?
Don`t know where you found that sprocket info, but the user manual says 15/41, the parts catalogue mentions 15/40 and 15/34 for A/CH.
The P750 has 15/38.

15/34 seems like a typo, that`s very long.

Instead of going for a smaller front sprocket I`d rather take a bigger rear (specially with a bigger tire). I heard that would be better for the chain, too.

in Germany you could try to contact:
Stein Dinse
Ducati Development Dortmund
Kämna
DSM
Italo Shop Neuss

G.
hardo

Post by hardo »

Dear G., dear all

Thanks for the fast reply.

Indeed this seems to be a bit confusing:

• My swiss 906 had orginally a 15 / 34 combination (no typo) and some other modifications to reduce power – but there is nobody around here who is still using these reducation measurers. The current combination on my bike is 14 / 40 together with my last set of Michelins.

• I checked different sources and got different informations:

• My owner’s manuel (written in german) says 15 / 40, swiss model 15 /34.

• The same holds true for my repair manuel (written in 4 different languanges).

• The chain kits for the 906 I could find in the internet / on ebay had the 15 / 40 combination (very seldom a 15 / 38).

• The first tests of the bike like in motorrad 3/1989 and PS 10/1989 write 15 / 38 (the tests are availiable here on the ducatipaso.org). I do not think these are typos because the gear/speed diagramms are right for the Paso 906 with 15 / 38 (I did some calculations with geradata).

• The english owner’s manuel indeed says 15 / 41. Somebody here on the forum said that firt 906 had 15 / 38, later models 15 / 40.

In any case, why is this important? I am currently switching to the Avon combination that just got an approvable from Ducati Germany. It is a ZR-rated matching pair and it seems to be not a perfect but a quite good way for the transformation. In order to be close to a 15 / 40 combinations with the original Michelins, I bought the tires (they are already on the bike) and a longer chain with 14 / 40 and gave it to the garage where the swap is done. I talked to the mechanic and he told be there is a problem (I was wrong with saying the chain hits the swingarm). It seems to me that the problem has already been discussed in the forum by pasoist:

• I installed a 150/80 rear tire on my 750. Only modifications I had to do were a longer chain (108 links instead of 106) in order to get the tire rear enough. (Otherwise the tire does not have enough room to rotate.). And a larger rear sprocket (40 teeth instead of 38), in order to get the chain tight enough (with the 38 tooth sprocket there´s not enough adjustment range to tighten the chain). Pretty simple anyways, didn´t have to do any irreversible changes to the bike.
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ket#p33638

Hence I ordered a 15 front sprocket and will get that on Tuesday. Hopefully that will do it: Disadvantage: The gear transmission ratio is quite long, but I do not know how to change it.

I try to get a Z41 (also checked your suggestions G.), but I could not get one.

Whenever everything is done I will show some pictures and tell the forum my first driving experience with the new combination.

By the way: I checked different threads here in the forum but there is still no clear answer how much the difference (cleareance) between swingarm (front) and tire should be. I think radial tires should not extend to much via centrifugal force, but for instance 5 mm semms not to be a lot if you go for a 150 km/h or more. Any suggestions here?

Thank you and have nice weekend, Hardo
:D
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Have you asked at Italo Shop Neuss ?
If it`s about front clearance and getting back the option to fully use the excenters again did you see the P750 FAQs ? http://www.startwin.com/ in the Netherlands sell adapters for €100. Your new chain may be to short with them though.

G.
hardo

Post by hardo »

thanks paso750, i could not get the information on their webpage, hence i send them an email. we will see. the idea from the dutch ducati dealer is really nice, i will see how it works without the extention first and later i might do it. nice weekend, hardo
vee2duc
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by vee2duc »

Hi guys,
few weeks ago i got back my 906 from the tyre-testing by Ducati Germany. Now it runs with that Avon Azaro tyre-combination and sprocket 15/40.

My first experience was a 1500 km-trip (5,5 days) in the italian alps, wich was very very nice riding (pictures will folow). I did not expect this realy uncomplicated driving. :)

For a touringbike as it is beside my 996 and 750ss its for me a nearly perfect dolomite-racer. :thumbup:

Some german and dutch driver showed a pity grin in the morning and did not talk to me anymore in the evening... :mrgreen:

Now the paso is nice and clean again and i´m realy content with it... :D
750ss´92 (1996)
996´99 (2004)
Paso 906´90 (2009)
nnnnnnorman
year: 1991

Post by nnnnnnorman »

vee2duc seems happy with his tyres sprockets chain combinations there. is this the way to go? :?: 8) :cool: :thumbup: :D :mad: :!: :evil: :lol: :o :? :)
1990 906 paso red and white
1991 906 paso black and gold
1997 ST2 red
2004 ccm r30 with 710 conversion
175 moto morini road race replica
a box of bits r100 bmw scrambler project
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
a non running xt600...stator needed
hardo

Post by hardo »

Following vee2duc and talking to mr liedmann from ducati germany, who did the testing with the bike of vee2duc for the approval, I decided to change as well to the Avon Azaro combination. I did 400 km on the bike within the last 2 weeks with the same sprocket combination as vee2duc uses (15 / 40....14 / 40 did not work) and I think it is a very good solution. Handling, breaking etc. is such an improvement compared to the original michelin tires that for me the tire problem for the paso is finally solved as long as avon produces this "matching pair".

There are a few things one should take into account when doing the conversion. In the next days I will post a thread here on the forum to tell you what I think regarding the pros and cons of this combination.

Keep on riding, Hardo
nnnnnnorman

Post by nnnnnnorman »

excellent. i have new cog and sprocket coming with an x ring chain. they are 15 and 40 teethed. ive got three thousand kms left minimum on my michelins so i will await your new thread and start looking for a good deal for those avons. :thumbup: :cool: :) ;)
1997 ST2 red
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
hardo

Post by hardo »

the avon's are excellent (in my opinion) zr-rated tires and they are a matching pair....I found them quite cheap, I paid 320 swiss frances for a pair.

a picture I made yesterday with the iphone in the alps. I will upload details + pics (hopefully this weekend).

all the best, Hardo
nnnnnnorman

Post by nnnnnnorman »

lovely bike lovely scenery lovely infofmation there hardo! is your bike a dark blue or black and white? is that part of your arm or jacket in the picture? thanks again for the info. im looking for a pair of tyres now. MY OLD REAR SPROCKET HAD THIFTY EIGHT TEETH AND FRONT COG WAS FIFTEEN. both were shall we say 'quite worn' and in need of replacement. will the bigger rear sprock change the character of the bike very much? guess i will have to wait and see! MY FRAME NUMBER IS 000747 just like the aeroplanes! what year does that make it? it was first registered here in the uk in1991 as an official import to ALFS MOTORCYCLES in WORTHING in SUSSEX. it was red but the first owner slid it down the road and had it sprayed black and gold and thats the same paint today and she looks great! gold wheels too. :cool: :) :thumbup: :evil: :D :cool: :zip:
1997 ST2 red
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
hardo

Post by hardo »

is your bike a dark blue or black and white?

thanks, the bike is light blue with white, it is a original colour. the bike is 100 % original, except the tire change

should be some picture in the gallery her in the forum with this colour scheme

is that part of your arm or jacket in the picture?

it is my knapsack on the ground. I wanted to get a part of the alps too but did not want to lay down on the street. hence I did not exactely see the foto my mobile phone (that I put out from the knapsack) will take.

thanks again for the info. im looking for a pair of tyres now. MY OLD REAR SPROCKET HAD THIFTY EIGHT TEETH AND FRONT COG WAS FIFTEEN. both were shall we say 'quite worn' and in need of replacement. will the bigger rear sprock change the character of the bike very much?

I can give you at least my opinion to this point, I will do it in the thread about the avon conversion (it is on my "to do list")

MY FRAME NUMBER IS 000747 just like the aeroplanes! what year does that make it? it was first registered here in the uk in1991 as an official import to ALFS MOTORCYCLES in WORTHING in SUSSEX. it was red but the first owner slid it down the road and had it sprayed black and gold and thats the same paint today and she looks great! gold wheels too.

My frame number is 000485, must be produced earlier. It is registered firstly in Switzerland on the first of Aug. 1990. On the frame there is a lable from ducati bologna, italy saying: produced in 1990. However, there are sources (there was already a thread here in the fourm) that no 906 (or at least no blue ones, I am not sure) where produced in 1990, rather in 1989 or 1988.......big confusion, I think nobody can be 100 % sure here.

All the best and keep on riding Hardo
hardo

Post by hardo »