gasket kits?????

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
nnnnnnorman
model: 906 Paso
year: 1991

gasket kits?????

Post by nnnnnnorman »

so hello from sunny sussex! now the paso is in bits and pieces all over the warehouse floor im glad its raining so i can stay in here and vput every thing away once its been cleaned a bit. photos to prove i did it later. ive ordered new cogs and chain as the ones on the bike had, shall we say,past their best days. now every thing is away and cleaned things dont look too bad. good finishes on these old bikes really once all the old oil and dirt is removed. WHERE IS GOOD TO GET EITHER A FULL GASKET KIT FROM OR JUST A TOP END GASKET SET? i tried looking on the web and bevel heaven looked good but so far away! any advice or offers greatfully excepted. im not sure how far im going with the engine as all was working well previous to this rebuild. oil was leaking from beneath each exhaust so thats the starting point. bearings have been suggested but im not sure i want to go that far. any opinions? the engine has been well looked after for nearly all of its 56000kms. the last years been a bit scetchy though with a bit of over heating on a couple of occasions. im trying to keep the bike as original as i go it. keeping the same paint scheme.(black and gold). same cans.(boscat) unless something interesting turns up. i just wanna have a nice clean fresh happy 906 that runs as well as it should and handles and stops as it should. the front end has always been fine so i will just change the fluid. the rear end was/is a bit spungy so will need some attention. the swinging arm has a few heavy gouges in it fron an exhaust screw and the chain running on it. i reckon stiffening the backend should prevent this and the new chain. i hope so. any other usefull mods anyone can suggest while the bikes in bits? thanks for any help. :D 8) :thumbup: :arrow: :)
1990 906 paso red and white
1991 906 paso black and gold
1997 ST2 red
2004 ccm r30 with 710 conversion
175 moto morini road race replica
a box of bits r100 bmw scrambler project
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
a non running xt600...stator needed
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: gasket kits?????

Post by Mc tool »

These things dont have a head gasket as such nnnnnorman, just a few O rings to seal the oil and water holes and the base gasket , if there at all is just a steel shim. There are gaskets under the engine covers but these are best replaced with 3 bond or similar . My 906 had a gasket between the crankcase halves which must be replaced if disturbed however I was told after splitting the cases that the gasket was NLA and to just use 3 bond , which would have required the re shimming of the 3 shafts ( bulk hassle ) so I bought a sheet of .9mm gasket paper and cut my own ( I F2 glue one crankcase gasket face and with the gasket paper laid of a FLAT surface place the crankcase on the paper and stack on a few weights until glue is properly dry and then trim off excess with a razor blade and a dremel sanding wheel ), so you'd wanna be sure that you had a good reason to split the cases . I split mine ( if Im gunna be honest ) coz I was bored , but I did want to check the top gear gear set as I had been told this was often the first real sign of wear ( apparently they get noticably noisey although I think its more a case of not realising how bad it was till it was fixed ). Gearbox out put berring can take a beating if the chain has been run to tight but that would surprise me going by your comments re the chain hitting the swing arm . Mine also has big chain gouges in the swingarm caused by running the chain to loose and not replacing the chain guide. Sinse I have owned the bike and kept the chain tight and fitted a new guide there has been no problems. One thing for sure nnnnnnorman ,if you split the cases you would be mad not to replace all the berrings and seals you can. Yours is not what I would call a "high miler " ( mine has 78,000 kms ) especially if it has had a good service regime, but once your in there ...... One reason I pulled my paso down was that I found it a noisey motor , and some noises came and went , so I thought I'd have a wee look up its arse :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
nnnnnnorman
year: 1991

Re: gasket kits?????

Post by nnnnnnorman »

all good info thanks mctool. its definatly a learning curve for me and luckily i've got a mate who knows what he's doing. part of me says now the engines out go over the whole thing and check every bearing etc etc. thats probably what i'll do....... then TIME and MONEY start creeping in to the equation. my brake discs are the original ones and are a bit tiered looking so i would like to replace those and give the mechanisms an overhaul. eveything else will have to do with a good claen and back into use it goes. ANY ONE GOT ANY GOOD DISCS AND OR BRAKE PARTS OUT THERE? hopefully i can get some pictures up soon.
1990 906 paso red and white
1991 906 paso black and gold
1997 ST2 red
2004 ccm r30 with 710 conversion
175 moto morini road race replica
a box of bits r100 bmw scrambler project
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
a non running xt600...stator needed