Ex-Center tool?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Mobius
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Ex-Center tool?

Post by Mobius »

So, I got my rear wheel back on with all-new sprocket holes and bolts. All seems good.

But boy-oh-boy, did I have to use every single swear word in my repertoire, and repeatedly, in order to get the rear wheel mounted again. Then, aligning the wheel and getting the chain tension right almost caused me two double ruptures and a hernia!

What tool do people use to nudge the ex-centers around? It seems a large hex key fits just poorly enough to slip and damage the inside while not working well enough to allow easy adjustment.

Also, the workshop manual is about as useful in removing and refitting the rear wheel, as it is in instructing one how to mount wheels on a Tomato!

Can someone document the correct procedure to remove and refit the rear wheel with the least hassle and fewest swear words? Thanks.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Ex-Center tool?

Post by Mc tool »

Dunno 'bout you guys but when I remove the rear wheel I only remove the caps off the ends of the swing arm, leaving the axle , spacers ,sprocket carrier , calipur bracket and excenters alone. And I use a big allen key to turn excenters , but I did make sure that there were no rough bits on either the swing arm or the exceters so that they would rotate smoothly ( I stopped short of lubing them ..... just ), maybe some new nuts might help :!: :) . I have a piece of wood just the right thickness to fit under the rear wheel while its on the center stand to hold the wheel ( assy) at the right height to remove and reinstall easily ( this is where any free play in the linkages is handy, I have about 3mm ) . Unbolt the rear calipur off its mounting bracket 1st and then just drop it back on last. :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

What tool do people use to nudge the ex-centers around
I have a 17mm allen on a 1/2 inch drive and a breaker bar, If you use an allen you can fit a tube/pipe over it to gain leverage :thumbup:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I can`t help it. The description in the manual is ok. I always use the original tools. Never had a problem with that.

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I have no set screws (3) I loosened off the right side nut (1) and tighten the left one so that the axle is pulled into the left excenter as far as it will go , and leave it that way , that way the axle ,left excenter and nut are always tight enough to allow you to use the left nut to rotate the excenter without it trying to unscrew itself. This way allows me to adjust chain by loosening off screws (2) and the right hand nut ( other wise the calipur bracket will try to rotate with the axle ) and use the left nut to rotate the excenter,, not forgeting to retighten the right nut afterwards
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Thanks all.

I managed to get the chain tension right, and the wheel aligned. But it wasn't easy. It'll be MUCH easier next time.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"