paso newbie

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Jeff T
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

paso newbie

Post by Jeff T »

Hi all, my name is jeff and i hail from Adelaide Australia. have recently purchased this bike and am loving it.
I have workshop manual but no owners manual so am looking forward to gaining some knowledge on this bike.
Basics like checking oils and coolants ect.

cheers all for now
jeff

Mods include, Staintune exhaust, twin dellorto's with malossi manifolds. Ohlins shock, twin pull tommaseli throttle and the heads have been flowed.
Attachments
duc1.JPG
duc1.JPG (29.64 KiB) Viewed 10759 times
Last edited by Jeff T on Sun May 01, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: paso newbie

Post by paso750 »

Jeff,

nice bike.
You`ll find lots of info in the 906 and P750 FAQs and the manuals here:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1551

G.
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

cheers mate for the link. I have been tinkering and cleaning all day and now it is raining :mad:

thanks again. Jeff
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I`m wondering about the Ohlins shock. If it is an aftermarket or from an early P750. If the later it may be a bit soft as the 906 is heavier. But that may be a good thing as Duc shocks used to be rather hard.
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

Hi P750, not sure about the shock as it was on the bike allready. I believe the original owner may have replaced it. The bike rides well and does not seem to harsh or sloppy. This will be the first sports oriented bike i have owned so am not to experienced on this type of bike. My previous bikes have all been Enduro/ road trail bikes with some smaller bikes, CB and LTD being my only road bikes. This bike was part of a will which was left to my brothers wife and they did not know what they were going to do with it, so I bought it because I had sold the CB some months back and something told me to buy it. Got it for a good price and the bike has been very well looked after its whole life. I was considering an XTZ 1200. (multistrada to dear :( but this bike sounds magnificent and is lovely to ride so i will hang onto it and ride it often and hopefully I can grow to fully appreciate and enjoy this bike as you guys all do.

cheers for now
Jeff

Ps odo reads 51000km .
micklm
year: 1989

Post by micklm »

Hi All,

I'm running a P750 Ohlins shock on my 906, but had the same concern as Gerhard. I had the shock reworked by an Ohlins guy anyway since it was second hand so told him what I was planning with it. Gave him the bike weight difference etc and he re-sprung it (and maybe also re-valved it?) for the 906. I don't know the spring he used off the top of my head but it was a different one (I got the original back if anyone with a 750 needs a spare). Another 906 owner on the forum has done a similar thing (that's where I got the idea).

I've done about 5000kms since, including some reasonably spirited riding in the Pyrenees (given my lack of riding talent!). Also on some fairly rough roads - no problems and a vast improvement (especially when with the pillion also on the bike).

Welcome to the forum by the way mate - nice looking example!

I'd be interested to see how the remote preload adjustor is mounted on your bike by the way - I had the devils own time getting it to mount cleanly on the 906 frame......but then I think there is three or four versions of the various mounting brackets between 906/750/907 and MZ/Ohlins!

Cheers,

Mick
906 Paso 1989 w/ 17in wheels :)
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

I don't know the spring he used off the top of my head but it was a different one
Any way to find out, reciept etc? It is so hard to find any info of this.

What features does your shock have?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
micklm

Post by micklm »

Hi Gert,

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything - the last guy to do the same did post something about the spring but I can recall....

The shock only has remote preload, not a remote reservoir like the MZ. It is adjustable otherwise the same as the MZ. But I suppose the big difference (aside from the vavling etc) is the diameter - the Ohlins shock has much bigger diameter piston and body.

Cheers,

Mick
micklm

Ohlins spring part number for 906

Post by micklm »

Hi Gert,
Any way to find out, reciept etc? It is so hard to find any info of this.
Sorry for the delayed reply - I had to clean my desk to find the receipt......

The spring part number quoted on my invoice was 1099-24-80.

I've run this shock for a while now including a couple of long trips and some mountain passes and while I'm no racer testing the limits of my bike, the new shock feels great (two up or alone with a quick adjustment)

Also the past posting I remembered (http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ins+spring) said:
Some 5 yrs back I made a deal with the importer of Ohlins (and Ducati) in Denmark to make me a shock. So I have a fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock. It was aparantly made from some old drawings that he had lying about and it first cam with a grade 5 spring. Much too soft and was changed to a "7" and later to a "9" which does work fine with the bike.
907IE -92
Cheers,

Mick
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Thx! :)
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

The Ohlins shock is surely better than the Marzocchi unit.
However, compliments. Beautiful bike, same colour of my first beloved 906 :,( :,( :,( :,( (i'm getting old and melancholy) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ciao :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

it first cam with a grade 5 spring
Seems right to me.
Ridden a 750 Paso w original Öhlins rear, it was really soft but worked surprisingly well f a +90 kg rider.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote:I`m wondering about the Ohlins shock. If it is an aftermarket or from an early P750. If the later it may be a bit soft as the 906 is heavier. But that may be a good thing as Duc shocks used to be rather hard.
Phew ! I am pleased you cleared that up :P

Going from "rather hard " to " a bit soft " is something we should all be vigilant about , early detection is the secret here , which is good coz most guys would notice straight away, your partner/pillion may try to raise the topic ,being under sprung does not a happy riding partner make
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time