New tyres

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Jeff T
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

New tyres

Post by Jeff T »

hi all just got off the phone from our local ducati guru. He will do my tyres with an Avon vp2 130/70 and avon cobra 180/60 rear. He will raise the front guard and lightly shave the side wall of the rear to fit. Has done quite a few with this combo and no change to sprockets/chain is required with all punters happy. I wll not be riding this bike heavily so max cornering is not an issue. A relief to know that I can fit new tyres without any dramas and just enjoy the ride.

cheers jeff
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: New tyres

Post by 907pasonut »

hi Jeff, perhaps you can put your locality up and maibe give this guy a plug, for other 16incher paso owners in your area to use his professional services...that is, if youre happy with the job :thumbup:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

Hi Claude, am in Australia but I will let you know how it goes.

cheers jeff
ukizook

Post by ukizook »

Jeff T wrote:hi all just got off the phone from our local ducati guru. He will do my tyres with an Avon vp2 130/70 and avon cobra 180/60 rear. He will raise the front guard and lightly shave the side wall of the rear to fit. Has done quite a few with this combo and no change to sprockets/chain is required with all punters happy. I wll not be riding this bike heavily so max cornering is not an issue. A relief to know that I can fit new tyres without any dramas and just enjoy the ride.

cheers jeff
I use the same combo over here in the UK,.........BUT.............it's not quite that simple. I had to alter the chain because the tyre touched the front of the swing arm, adding another link robbed all of the adjustment and left the chain slightly slack.
I ended up just adding a half-link and although not the perfect sollution it worked until the rear tyre had worn down enough to revert back to the origional settings..........only a couple of mm's wear?. Im close to having to change the rear again and will do the exact same as before, this tyre combo make the Paso a far better handling bike than the origional tyres ever could. I hope you find the same. :thumbup:
Graemer57
model: 750 Paso

Post by Graemer57 »

Hi Jeff

I know this will sound daft but after years of riding shaft drive Beemers am not very up on chains. What is a half link? And did u have to increase size of rear sprocket? I bought a 750 Paso last week that needs new tyres before I will ride it again. Rode it 295 miles home from Wales, fine on motorway, dreadful on corners. Felt slippy, tippy and really ungrippy all at the same time... Yet I loved the ride. Bike wasnt too uncomfortable, sounded great and even provoked conversations with strangers at service stations. :-)

Graeme
1990 750 Paso #754364
2005 BMW 1200RT
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

What is a half link?
usually when you change the length of a chain you always have to add/remove 2 links with a halflink it´s only one.

Avon recommends the AV45ST with the Cobra. According to them its shape is less sharp than other models. They say the rounder profile matches the character of the Cobra better. Front tires with a sharp profile like most sports tires will lean quicker into curves than the Cobra which may not be the best combination for handling. No idea which difference it actually makes.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

a half link is the generally accepted method of adding length to any chain
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

Thanks uzikook for that info. I will query that with him when i get the tyres done. Im glad to hear that it is a good working combo though, and will
even improve handling.

Cheers Poo Bah for soughting the half link query.

cheers all jeff