Cam belt covers.

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Cam belt covers.

Post by Giscard »

I am trying to change the cam belts on my newly acquired Paso that has 15K miles on the clock but has been standing for a few years. The engine is still in the frame and I have managed to remove the vertical cylinder cam belt cover but I am finding it impossible to get the horizontal cylinder cover off as it get fouled by the pulley. Is there something else that needs to come off as I can not believe that I need to remove the engine to do this job.
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Cam belt covers.

Post by randtcastell »

On the 750 Paso, there is a motor mount with two bolts that must come off to remove the horizontal cylinder's cam belt cover. Check that condition.

Best, Randy.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

:mad:

Sorry but I am afraid it was down to poor lighting and my stupidity as I had not noticed the screws that allow you to split the cam belt cover in two, in my excitement I was trying to take it off in one piece. I told you the learning curve was steep. Makes me wonder what chance I will have to sort out the solenoid/starter problem.

Watch this space.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

:D OK the good news is that removing the cam belt covers was my last senior moment (for the present anyway). Since then I have extracted the alternator cover (removing part of the lower frame - I would have spotted that eventually) and have taken off the old starter motor. The brand new replacement was fitted and it turned the engine over confirming that the solenoid is OK as is the new starter motor.
Progress - what could go wrong. All that remains is to change the cam belts and sort out the rear indicators. I have the indicators on stalks which are correct for this bike but may still fit the UK rear light unit, either now or at a later date as I still think it looks neater, although I have not seen any pictures of bikes with the stalk version.