Removing cam belts

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Removing cam belts

Post by Giscard »

Help.

Is it necessary to remove the steady stretcher roller as well as the adjustable roller to remove the cam belts. The manual says that this allows the belt to be removed easier. This suggests I can get the belt off without removing the steady roller although it looks like it is going to be a tug of war and I clearly do not want to damage the new belts when fitting them. If I have to remove the fixed (steady) stretcher roller is there a recommended tool as I do not want to commit to using an open ended spanner as a socket does not seem to fit, as the "bolt" just appears to have two flats.

I am sure someone has come across this problem at some stage who can steer me in the right direction.
JWilliam
year: 1989

Re: Removing cam belts

Post by JWilliam »

I only slacken the tension roller and then ease off the belts by turning over the engine (the difficult bit). You will see that the running pulley bearing is fixed by a circlip so even if you did remove the bearing the boss would still be there. Whatever you do don't remove a pulley to remove/fit a belt, they will shift it only takes muscle, these belts are very tough but don't use any tools only your hands to avoid accidental cuts. Remember to align the timing marks on the three pulleys and you can't go wrong.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

OK I will try a bit of muscle. I did manage to loosen the bolt on the belt guide roller but after about half a turn it tightened up so I gave up on that that. Is there a special tool to remove this bolt. Although the manual suggests taking it off it skims over the removal. It's like everything, easy once you have done it once. Anyone else have any suggestions.
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Is there a special tool to remove this bolt.
No.
I suggest heat to loosen it.
There should be room f an extended Allen key on a wrench.
The bolt should not need much power, try heat or WD40 before excessive force.
3 light punches straight on bolt, then a try, is also an option.
Some mechanical feel is needed here, if bolts break, you`re in trouble...
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Gert - I have managed to remove the 2 allen bolts from the belt tensioners the one I am struggling with is the bolt on the belt guide/non-adjustable roller. As I mentioned this just appears to have 2 flats on the bolt and the manual shows someone cleverer than me removing them.
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Then
Is it necessary to remove the steady stretcher roller as well as the adjustable roller to remove the cam belts.
no.

I can`t see the need f that & never dunnit f belt changes.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Thanks Gert. The only reason for removing the belt guide roller was that the manual said it made changing the belt easier. Both you and JWilliam have said there is no need for this so that is OK for me. I will have a go this week but I assume as JWilliam said partially pull the belt of the pulley and turn the engine over and the belt should slip off and on easily. Sorted !
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

What really made it easier was to remove the washer on cam wheel that you have
to lift belt over.
It`s not needed on my M900 -97 and, after 45000 kms w/o it, doesn`t seem to be needed on my 907 either.

Edit: Removed washer fr hoz top cam wheel.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Both the camshaft pulleys on my paso have flanges on the outer edge . I have always had to remove a pulley to get a belt on/off... even with both guide/tensioner berrings removed
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

If you remove that flange (that is the washer I referred to), life will be easier.
It`s not needed.
It`s just mildly pressed on cam wheel, just peel off w screwdriver.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Tamburinifan wrote:If you remove that flange (that is the washer I referred to), life will be easier.
It`s not needed.
It`s just mildly pressed on cam wheel, just peel off w screwdriver.
No shit :!: :?: . Those things have been pissing me off for years , just peel off w screwdriver you say . I gunna burn em off with a gas axe :twisted: :twisted:( and then Im gunna bash them back on so I can burn them off again :lol: :lol: )
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

life will be easier.
Edit: Life will be alot easier.
Apparently..... :thumbup: :lol:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

:banghead:
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

:D
Just thought I would post a quick update on the difficulties that I had changing the cam belts. All you guys that do this regularly will be wondering what planet I was from because why would they make it that difficult. Perhaps so you have to get a dealer to replace them !!
Anyway I managed to pull the horizontal cylinder belt just away from the pulley. I turned the rear wheel and it eventually peeled itself off. Success. When I looked at the belt it appeared to be marginally smaller than the new genuine Ducati replacements. As I struggled to get anywhere with the vertical belt and I felt I had passed the point of no return I cut it off. After re-aligning all the dots I found that the new belts went on relatively easily compared with the old ones and were slightly slacker with no adjusters fitted. So the original belts which had no markings had either shrunk or were smaller than the new ones but with the same number of teeth.

If this had not worked then I would have removed the flange on the cam wheel as suggested by Gert. However this was not necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions.
ducatipete

Post by ducatipete »

Hi Giscard, what part numbers do you have for your replacement belts, I have been given 73710081A for my 906, and they are not for 907s? which I find strange....plus I would not like to turn the engine/cams to remove the belts...., is it easy to realign the belt pulleys afterwards? :)