906 when riding stops, ignition lights off then goes again

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
jeff
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

906 when riding stops, ignition lights off then goes again

Post by jeff »

Had the 906 for more than 12 years ,has always been not easy to start if in garage for for a week,and would stall at lights, I thought I knocked the kill switch.so I changed the carby was a webber,Dellortos 40mm fixed starting. all the time I have had the bike ,bike idling turn on headlight it will stall,and when riding ,So I put a relay on the ignition cdi to stop voltage drop ,it got higher voltage but motor ran rough dont know why so I took it off.I put up with it till last ride it stopped 3 times ,thats it next week,fairing off tank off (again) Some one has tried to fix before,follow main red wire, soldered to connectors,follow loom, connector at bottom of dash, unplug terminals BLACK inside 3mm wire goes to 1.5mm on other side of connector must be more flexable wire,bypass plug with spade connector, took longer to take off fairing.start bike turn on headlight didnt stall, first time since ive had it.now it starts alot better the bike seems happier,next ride 160 kph easy.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 906 when riding stops, ignition lights off then goes aga

Post by paso750 »

is there a question ? :huh:

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeh ive read this post because my Paso does the same but i cant really follow what you done to fix it?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

In a nutshell , Harry , these bikes have shit wiring, Its not hard to fix , or expencive . Do you have a wiring diagram ,( and if you did would it be any good to you :) )A lot of the wires are to skinny to carry the power needed to run the show ,and throw in a loose connection and you can get problems
( Just in case your not electrically minded)Think of a wire as your garden hose, with a good water flow, and say 4 sprinklers on the end , all working well. Now squash the hose nearlly right off ( this restriction is your bad connection ) turn on one sprinkler ( ignition module ) and that 1 sprinkler will work normally , turn on another sprinkler ( coils ) and you will see that both sprinklers start to slow down a bit but still work, turn on a 3rd sprinkler ( headlight ) and all 3 sprinklers will be real slow. neither the ignition module or the coils are getting enough voltage ( water ) to opperate properly and you get missing and backfiring. The soloution is to either remove or bypass the restriction. If you are electrically minded its a piece of piss to fix, if your not , its not, and your better off getting help :) There are posts here ( search ) , with diagrams , explaining how to fit relays to the coils/ ignition , which go a long way to curing all the paso elect gremlins
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 907pasonut »

Mc tool, thats a good explanation that most people will understand :thumbup:
when I was at school...many years ago, doing electrical, a teacher exlained electricity in a similar way...
for all us boneheads to understand :-P
he compared electricity travelling through a wire the same as water flowing in a pipe, then said,
voltage = water pressure...amperes = water flow
if you want more water to flow through the pipe you can increase the pressure, but if you cant increase pressure you can get a bigger pipe to have the same result :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeh thanks Mc Tool im not to sahbby with the wiring and last time i was near the Paso i did make a start on tracing this problem with all the earth points and then handle bar controls, at least now i know where to look in the headlight area, and by the way Paula is my first cousin haha, small world dude.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

The ( biggest ) problem with mine turned out to be a broken wire right at the terminal at the ignition switch/main harness plug . It looked good but the wires were broken between the 2 crimps on the terminal , and I only spotted it coz the plug was so hot I left finger prints in the plastic. I now have relays on the hi beam , lo beam , coils and the magic box, and I plan to do my own "motolectric " type mods inc moving the solenoid down by the fuel pump :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi I will say what I did quicker.If your bike is hard to start and stalls when the headlight is turned on like mine did.Try this, take off front fairing 6 screws around headlight,take off trip reset plate 2 screws.You should see the connector or pull it down from the behind the dashboard..there is a thick red wire on the right side of the connector,it joins to a thinner red wire on the left side of the connector .Unplug it ,the round plug+socket were black on the red wires,I plugged it back and turned on the ignition ...nothing.so I cut the red wires on both sides of connector so it is bypassed the connector ,extent red wire and used connectors that will handle the current. Join red wires back together..The standard connector could not.I just started it then it has been more than a week it started straight away. hope this helps..
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Jeff, never mind, but instead of referring to this red wire and that red wire it would be better to know what they are for and were they are connected to. :)
jeff

Post by jeff »

I should have said, at bottom of dash that 4 way connector, the smaller red wire goes to the ignition switch .The larger red wire goes to the battery.