Stud bolt on starter motor

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Harry
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Stud bolt on starter motor

Post by Harry »

I have just received my Motolectric Hicap starter upgrade and was proceeding to install when i found that the Stud for conecting the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor is so badly corroded that i do not want to proceed any further until i have some information on it. What i want to know ,is the stud on the starter motor replaceable or do i need to get another starter, it has rusted away so badly? Help :dunno:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Stud bolt on starter motor

Post by paso750 »

Harry, I have no clue if one can obtain the single bolt, but it seems to be part of the starter rebuild kit. At least a long bolt is shown in the middle.

http://www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=RBK-69

Don`t know if it´s part of this kit, too.
http://www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=ND-L

Some guys have ordered these so they should know.

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks G , yeh i did manage to pull the end cap off the starter and eventually remove the Cable from the square head bolt and yes now will order the rebuild kit.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

what does the bolt look like ? Can`t it be replaced with some other ? Maybe with some cutting and grinding :)

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Basicly thats what i done G, its got a low profile flat square head on it and a wire soldered to it that goes to the brush carrier so i just got another bolt i had and spent a little time reshaping the head then resoldered the wire. There was a small Bakerlite? block under the head of the Bolt which crumbled in my hand when i removed the same bolt so i got a piece of plastic ( thanks Leggo lol ) and made a new carrier for the bolt, this stops the bolt head contacting the end cap of the starter Motor and also stops it turning when you reconect the Cable from the Solenoid. I hope this makes sense. :)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Money saved :thumbup:
Does your new bolt have a thread down to the head ?
It`s all good as long as the bolt can`t touch the housing and the starter cable does neither otherwise sparks would fly and you`d weld the bolt to the housing :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

No G when i got everything apart there is a small Flat washer made of plastic or Bakerlite that goes between the threaded part of the Bolt and the Starter housing so that the terminal sits on it and then the nut does up against it like i say when i pulled the Rubber Boot of the end of the cable it was just a ball of rust that used to be the Nut and the end of the bolt, i was very surprised at the condition it was in.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I never had the starter apart but I guess the part you mention is phenolic resin/bakelite. Probably because a plastic ring could start to deform. High currents and long cranking might cause enough heat. That would happen over time until it shorts.
Just guessing :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeh you guessed right there G .I am lucky and have a good neighbor that is a retired electrician so i went and picked his brain on what i was doing and he had some two part resin that he mixed up a small amount of then we covered the head of the modified bolt and surrounding plastic with. He assured me that the resin he had would soak up any residual heat and that my modified spacer i made would be good to go.