Starter problem

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Harry
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Starter problem

Post by Harry »

Well i head back to Sea this week for a month and the Paso is still sitting in the Shed with no go. It looks like im up for a new starter Sprag when i get back . Is this a job i could do at Home, im pretty handy with the Spanners if not i will have to find somebody here in Western Australia that would do the work.
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Sounds like time to replace sprag to me.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/ShowPage2.php ... over2.html

Do clean threads on crank thoroughly, use correct Loctite & use correct torque on flywheel nut.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
romus
year: 1990

Post by romus »

Harry wrote:Well my Hicap Kit arrived and i fitted it to the Paso with no problems aside from a rusty bolt on the starter. So after fitting the above i went and hit the start switch and all that happens is that the starter gets plenty of juice but is not firing the starter sprag? out to engage. The starter solenoid is making a clicking sound when i push the start button. I hope this is not to confusing , but yeh im stuck for advice on what to check next. Any help would be apprciated.
This sounds a lot like the trouble I have, though it was Mmm a few hundred Ks after I fitted the Motolectric kit before my starting issues arose. Also randtcastell in this thread is stuck with a non starter even though starter motor turns over. So with me, you and randtcastell that's three with the same sort of thing.

I wonder if adding the Hicap Kit is so good in its kick power, it will kill off a sprag clutch (spring) that is near the end of its days.

Well, I did uncover other issues, like some dodgy electrical connections, replacing my solenoid and even the CPU (which they said was stuffed). I had some clunking develop after my continual attempts to start the Paso. What was left? - the sprag clutch.

So I have mine out, but am waiting for my new sprag clutch to arrive before I put it back together. I want to compare the old spring with the new, but the existing spring holding the sprag together does seem really sloppy stretchy to me. Well, if replacing the sprag does turn out to fix the starting, it may be it is a possible issue that comes to the surface with the extra kick that the new Hicap Kit gives- Just an idea.
Warwick - on a learning curve and on a
Ducati Paso - Soul of a thoroughbred :P
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

The Hicap fix will not fix a basic starter problem. Sprag,and solenoid must be in working condition as well as the brushs.
It will however enhance a working system measurably :banghead:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I made a slight modification when I installed my Hi-Cap starter kit. Instead of connecting the Hi-Cap cable to the frame, and then using the existing cable to get the power to the engine, I connected the Hi-cap cable directly to the engine after preparing the surface a little, and then installed the original (much lighter) cable to carry the power to the frame.

It probably doesn't make much difference, and I know very little about electrickery, but it seemed logical to keep the starter motor power going through the fattest pipe possible at all times.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeh Mobius thats how i done mine. I got an e mail back from Mike at Hicap and it would seem that when replacing the starter circut with the Hicap it is not uncommon for an old Sprag spring to fail it must because of the increase in current flow to the starter anyways i am glad that the sprag shat itself when the bike was in the Shed and not on some remote Western Australian Road in 40 degree heat lol that would have been very sad indeed. Now i just have to wait out the month and get back and find a Mechanic that will work on the old tart :)
Aart

Post by Aart »

Sorry Dutch
Revision from my startmotor with koperen lagers heeft lost my problem
No gel accu!!!
Aart
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeh Aart i cant follow what your sayin there mate :o
Aart

Post by Aart »

My 3 duc's 750/906/907ie
Groet Aart
Attachments
SP_A0741.jpg
SP_A0741.jpg (78.16 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
Aart

Post by Aart »

My Laverda's
My dog's

I hope that you fiks the startproblem from the 906 fast.

Groet Aart from holland
Attachments
S2010009 (2).JPG
S2010009 (2).JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Harry wrote:Yeh Aart i cant follow what your sayin there mate :o
yeah ! what sort of lager was that ? mmmmmmm beer :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
du907

Post by du907 »

I'm beginning to think it's the sprag clutch or the starter not turning fast enough. If the starter is turning fast enough not only will you hear the starter spinning but you should also hear the two or three reduction gears turning/clanging on that side too. If all is turning then it most likely is the sprag clutch. A little story: I bought my 907 from a guy and it only had 4,000 miles on it. It hadn't been in for the first service and oil change. As soon as I got it home I cleaned it up and changed the oil and filter. It would not start any more! I CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER AND IT WOULD NOT START. I couldn't believe it! The starter would spin like crazy but not engage the sprag clutch. On these bikes the clock would run down the battery and starting the bike on a weak battery would make the starter spin slower and therefore not fully engage the sprage clutch which would in turn wear out the sprage clutch. Hince the reason people would disengage the clock. So, I had to put in a new sprag clutch, about $185 US at the time just for the part. But, I now have 50,000 miles on that same sprag clutch.
du907
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Sorry but I thought a sprag was a one way clutch that uses a cam locking action and therefore does not need to be spun fast enough to engage , rotating slowly by hand should be enough to lock it ( one way of course ) and if it doesnt lock solidly , instantly every time ..... it needs sorted
And I for one are going to get me a couple of these things to put under my pillow. I dont think they will ever be cheaper and I hope I need a couple before I give up riding :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Sorry but I thought a sprag was a one way clutch that uses a cam locking action and therefore does not need to be spun fast enough to engage , rotating slowly by hand should be enough to lock it ( one way of course ) and if it doesnt lock solidly , instantly every time ..... it needs sorted
Your thoughts are correct, it do lock turning by hand.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Aart wrote:My 3 duc's 750/906/907ie
Groet Aart
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Very nice combo!!!!
Ciao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019