firs bike..bettery wont stay charged while riding?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
DANIELH906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

firs bike..bettery wont stay charged while riding?

Post by DANIELH906 »

I have a 1990 paso 906. Its my first bike. Had to put new MC and clutch in it. Took it out for the first time, rode it a couple miles and it died. No power at all when I turn the key on. Completely dead. Re charged the battery and it fired right up. How do I check the regulator rectifier? It keeps blowing one of the two 7.5 amp fuses under the seat too.. any help? I want to ride this bad boy..
DANIELH906

Re: firs bike..bettery wont stay charged while riding?

Post by DANIELH906 »

BATTERY. :banghead:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

check the FAQs on top of the P750 forum.

G.
DANIELH906

Post by DANIELH906 »

Ok thanks. Any ideas why my 7.5 amp fuse keeps blowing. Its a wire that runs off the positive side of my battery, about 6the inches up the red wire there is where the fuse plugs in. Then it runs in to the harness towards the front of the bike. Could this fuses blowing be the issue with the battery not staying charged . Or any ideas on what that wire with the fuse actually goes to? Sorry if my questions are dumb. First bike and not experienced with electrical issues and my manual doesn't specifi what the fuse is for from what I see in the sh.tty manual I have in five different languages. :wacko:
desmodave
year: 0

Post by desmodave »

DANIELH906 wrote:Ok thanks. Any ideas why my 7.5 amp fuse keeps blowing. Its a wire that runs off the positive side of my battery, about 6the inches up the red wire there is where the fuse plugs in. Then it runs in to the harness towards the front of the bike. Could this fuses blowing be the issue with the battery not staying charged . Or any ideas on what that wire with the fuse actually goes to? Sorry if my questions are dumb. First bike and not experienced with electrical issues and my manual doesn't specifi what the fuse is for from what I see in the sh.tty manual I have in five different languages. :wacko:
hi daniel where you from pal? anyway the paso is a pig electrically and everyones bke is a different set up wich dont help trying to get help- if your 7.5 fuse is blowing could be the dashboard rubbers have brokeand shorting or a wire broken or a earth or something else there are some wires and a earth just under the point of the tank underneath the frame take a look. do the tests if you cant find anything-the charging system has pained me since i got my bike and im still trying to figure it out! the bike overcharges and drains batterys! blows the reg - im trying to get my hands on a mosfet r1 rg rec as our originals dont dump excess charge....hope this helps pal.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Got some work to do :thumbup:

Check your ground connections first,eliminate any signs of corrosion or loose connections. Once you have that done,the real work will begin,checking every single connection. Sounds worse than it is, most parts are cheap but it will take time.
It will however be time well spent. In the end you will have a rare beast, an 20 year old Italian bike free of electrical issues,something to be very proud off :thumbup:
One other thing to note, the reigning gods of Ducati will save a place in Ducati heaven just for you :beer: :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
DANIELH906

Post by DANIELH906 »

Hey thanks for responding guys. Im from USA Missouri. I was told italy only made 3000 blue 906's in 89 &90 and they sent 111 of them to USA? Is this true or did I get fed full of BS? Well either way I have one. Yeah ill check out the rubbers on the dash. I got a new speedo cable because nothing works except the rpm gauge. Replaced the cable and no change. So maybe there is some wire problems with the dash causing the 7.5 amp to blow. I was told it had a new wiring and harness in 06. So hopefully its something simple.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

higgy wrote:In the end you will have a rare beast, an 20 year old Italian bike free of electrical issues,something to be very proud of
That's my Paso! :)

Protip: HiCap starter system installed along w/ new starter.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"