discussions specific to the 906 Paso
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Left engine cover removal

Post by paso750 »

from the ducati.ms forum
After throwing tool and curses around the garage, I took a closer look at the starter. The starter had been jammed together with the magnet body section rotated 90 degrees causing it to spin backwards. I fixed the starter and now the engine fires up.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

After throwing tool and curses around the garage, I took a closer look at the starter. The starter had been jammed together with the magnet body section rotated 90 degrees causing it to spin backwards. I fixed the starter and now the engine fires up.
Cursing in Italian works best :beer: :beer:

1. vaffanculo - The Italian equivalent of "F_ _ _ You." This V-bomb is widely diffused in Italian language, and there is now even a holiday called "Vaffanculo Day."
2. menefrego - I don't give a damn. Also heard the variation: Non me ne frega niente
3. porca puttana/troia/vacca - Pig whore/slut/cow/
4. stronzo - Shit, or literally a turd
5. cornuto - One who has horns (mostly because they have been betrayed). Tip: don't use this one lightly, it's a major insult in Italy. Here is the hand gesture that will protect you against becoming one.
6. figlio di una mignotta - son of a whore
7. inculare - to give it to someone in the rear
8. pezzo/testa di merda - piece of shit/shithead
9. finocchio/frocio/orecchione - all colorful ways of calling someone gay
10. citrullo-cetriolo - cucumber head or dummy
11. minchia - penis
12. coglione - testicle: Often used in a phrase such as "che coglione," or "what a jackass"
13. testa di cazzo - dickhead
14. che cazzo vuoi/fai/dici? What the hell (literally what the dick) do you want/are you doing/are you saying?
15. incazzato: angry
Should be enough to get you going :thumbup:
Last edited by higgy on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

this is freaking me out :wacko: :mrgreen: So the workshop manual is incorrect about the rotating direction of the starter motor ?!

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

OK G

If you rotate the engine at the flywheel on the bike clockwise the starter will spin if you have the sprag installed
properly
counter clockwise the starter will not spin

Now this means when the starter spins counterclockwise( from the side of the bike looking at the flywheel) as you hit the starter button the sprag locks and drives the crankshaft counterclockwise

spins the sprag gear counterclockwise ( don't forgot there is a third set of gears between the starter and flywheel gear)

Once the engine starts the crank rotates fast enough to overrun the sprag. The sprag is still spinning in the same direction but since the crankshaft turns faster than the sprag.... the sprag freewheels as its relative motion to the crankshaft is now in effect clockwise

Make sense now or did it just confuse you again?

Now with the flywheel out and on the bench sprag and starter gear facing up if you spin the starter gear counterclockwise it will freewheel when the sprag is in properly This is opposite of how it works installed on the bike
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

My fault. We`re on the same page. As you said and I did myself before a few times things turn in the opposite direction when looking at their rear side and your photo above shows the rear side :banghead: Must be ADD.
Time for a break :beer:
with the Left hand cover off the Motor the Starter does spin Clockwise
so you should check your starter as it was most likely assembled incorrectly.
Harry
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Harry »

Ok guys from the above i have confirmed that the Sprag rotation on my Bike is correct and yes it is indeed the Starter Motor that is spinning backwards= clock-wise when looking at it with the left hand Engine cover off, there for it now comes down to why the Starter is spinning in the wrong direction and i have thought about this all night and the only other thing i can think of is this (and it is a long shot) when i got the new Brush kit i installed the Brushes like this, + Brush into the Brush holder that is insulated and - Brush into the holder that is non insulated. My question is have i installed the Brushes back to front if that makes sense. Should the - Brush be in the holder that is insulated and + into the non insulated holder? If so then the fix will be easy if not somewhere the laws of pyshics have been beaten and i have made a DC Motor spin in the rong direction and i dont know how. NOTE does anyone have Steven Hawkins e mail address :D . Oh and i do appreciate the Italian swearing lesson as i have been abusing the old girl ( the Paso not the Wife) in New Zealand Maori and i understand now that she will not understand this language lol.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Harry, I`m about sure you assembled the brush plate correctly. Do check if the marks on the housing align. There are 2 parallel marks at both ends of the main starter housing which have to match the 2 marks on both endcaps.
Download the Haynes manual
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

I also have a spare starter if you need details just let me know,I'll take it apart and take some pictures for you
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hey thanks Higgy pictures would be good as later on down the line no doubt someone somewhere will have the same Ducati Paso blues mmmm now is there a song in that wheres my guitar.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

so stubborn not to look at the housing marks or the manual. :drunk:
I doubt higgy can make better pictures than there are in the Haynes manual. Ok, he can make them in colour :lol:
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

higgy wrote:
Cursing in Italian works best :beer: :beer:

1. vaffanculo - The Italian equivalent of "F_ _ _ You." This V-bomb is widely diffused in Italian language, and there is now even a holiday called "Vaffanculo Day."
2. menefrego - I don't give a damn. Also heard the variation: Non me ne frega niente
3. porca puttana/troia/vacca - Pig whore/slut/cow/
4. stronzo - Shit, or literally a turd
5. cornuto - One who has horns (mostly because they have been betrayed). Tip: don't use this one lightly, it's a major insult in Italy. Here is the hand gesture that will protect you against becoming one.
6. figlio di una mignotta - son of a whore
7. inculare - to give it to someone in the rear
8. pezzo/testa di merda - piece of shit/shithead
9. finocchio/frocio/orecchione - all colorful ways of calling someone gay
10. citrullo-cetriolo - cucumber head or dummy
11. minchia - penis
12. coglione - testicle: Often used in a phrase such as "che coglione," or "what a jackass"
13. testa di cazzo - dickhead
14. che cazzo vuoi/fai/dici? What the hell (literally what the dick) do you want/are you doing/are you saying?
15. incazzato: angry
Should be enough to get you going :thumbup:
Not too bad...
You're ready for Italy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ciao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Harry

Post by Harry »

I have looked at my Starter and cannot see those marks on it. now what you have to understand here is that the Starter has never been removed from the Bike since i have owned it only the End Cap so that Brushes could be replaced and when i done that i made alignment marks myself so that it went back together as it was when i first removed the screws. If i was to remove the Starter from the Bike can they be Bench Tested?
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

I doubt higgy can make better pictures than there are in the Haynes manual. Ok, he can make them in colour :lol:

Full page and in full color,even big enough to post on your garage wall :thumbup: :beer: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Canon EOS40D :thumbup:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ok update time. I have totally removed the Starter and yes there are alignment marks on the end that bolts to the Engine two of, and then on the Starter Case itself 3 of and on the End Cap two of but the problem is if i line up the end that bolts to the Engine with the Starter Case lines then the two marks on the end Cap do not line up so that the two long phillips head screws will go back in to secure the End Cap. To get the two phllips head Screws in the cap has to be rotated about 30mm past the other alignment marks. Hopefully i will get some photographs of this for easier interpretaion.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Image. Sorry about the quality but you should see where i have hi-lighted the marks with silver paint pen. Oh and it looks as tho i did not resize properly. Apologies all.