Mechanic started bike in 1st while it was on side stand

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
eident
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Mechanic started bike in 1st while it was on side stand

Post by eident »

Was going over some work on my Paso. I told the mechanic that you had to be careful with this bike to make sure it's really in neutral when it says it is. He decided to show me some kind of "safety feature" as he put it in first before he turned it off (while it was on its sidestand). Then while standing next to the bike and without holding in the clutch all of a sudden he started it again before I could say more than "wait a second..".

Luckily the choke wasn't engaged. Regardless my bike surged forward against the side stand and he had to grab the bike really quick. Apparently he decided to test whether my 1990 Paso 906 had a safety feature that prevents it from being started while in gear, or maybe while on its side stand. Obviously it has no such safety features.

Do you guys know if this sort of thing tends to damage the bike or kickstand assembly? I mean it's a fairly big heavy bike and it kind of "hopped" up on the side when its weight surged against the lowered stand before it folded.

Anyway I told them to be sure it's in NEUTRAL. Mostly all I know to be is irked right now.. will be a bit longer before I get it back and can check it out.

Thanks
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Mechanic started bike in 1st while it was on side stand

Post by randtcastell »

That was extremely cavalier of the mechanic to do this contrary to your advice and more thorough understanding of the conditions. I would be very nervous about his competency. Any other options for you as far as mechanics go? Best of luck to you!
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

randtcastell wrote:That was extremely cavalier of the mechanic to do this contrary to your advice and more thorough understanding of the conditions. I would be very nervous about his competency. Any other options for you as far as mechanics go? Best of luck to you!
Yeah Im with you on this one , what a #uckwitt ! With a mind set like that I sure as hell would be finding somewhere else to get my bike fixed. Kinda makes you wonder tho , what sort of bullshit would you have been fed if it had been a lot worse and you wern't there to see it . I guess we all do dumb things from time to time ( I ain't going to list mine .... we'll be here for days :lol: ). What a tosser
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

even if that action wasn`t so good for your starter motor it surely didn`t damage anything. You`re lucky the mechanic was so fast to catch the bike. Usually they then tip over and the search for a left mirror starts :mrgreen:
If I remember correctly the sidestand just cuts the ignition but indeed it wouldn`t be bad if it cut the starter instead.

G.
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Mate, if I was you I would be getting my bike back from this idiot before he does any serious damage. Apart from putting unnecessary stress on your starter sprag clutch I don't think he would have caused any other damage.
It sounds like this guy needs a visit from the Ducati Mafia. :cool: :mad: :cool:
eident

Post by eident »

Thanks you guys. Yeah trust me it didn't go over well with me either.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote:If I remember correctly the sidestand just cuts the ignition but indeed it wouldn`t be bad if it cut the starter instead.

G.
Ah , at the risk of making an arse of myself ( wouldn't be the 1st time...... today!!) I'm pretty sure that my paso sidestand switch only operates the warning light on the dash .... real sure actually coz I can remember riding off with the stand down , well I don't actually remember doing it as such , but I sure remember finding out at the 1st left turn :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: .... :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

you may be well right. It`s been a while since the last time I was in the garage :?
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

I do confirm!
When the side stand is open, only the lamp is on the dashboard.
G., it's the time to ride your bike!
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

even with the lamp I always look to be sure.
stand down on any bike = not good things to follow :beer: :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

G., it's the time to ride your bike!
LOL, damn you`re so right ! :mrgreen: :oops: