906 paso clutch plates

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
oldman354
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

906 paso clutch plates

Post by oldman354 »

Hi all. Am asking if anybody can be a guardian angel and put me in the direction of some good 2nd hand clutch plates for my "g" plate 906 paso. We took her for a trip to this years i.o.m for the tt so she could stretch her old red legs and after one day the clutch went fffut! But in the one and only night all we had was people in line taking pictures of the old gal, how proud was i. Also both springs have broken on the gear selector side but already booked to take her back next year yay!!!!!! Please help anybody. many thanks john :cool: :cool:
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: 906 paso clutch plates

Post by 900streetfighter »

If your friction plates aren't too worn you can increase the stack height by switching the 1.5mm plain plate(s) for 2mm plain. I have loads of old plates, plain and friction but most of the friction are pretty shot. I can sort out the best of what I've got if you want or a plain or 2 so you can juggle the stack. By the time a clutch is slipping you are better off getting a new set of friction plates at minimum as the tangs are pretty knocked about by then. I recently bought a new set of friction plates from ebay for about £90 inc post from Germany. Rumour has it they are made by the same firm that supply Ducati. They come as 8 plate set which was handy as I did the 'quiet clutch mod' with the extra plate. I'm in Essex, if you want any plates pm me. Cheers, Keith.
oldman354

Post by oldman354 »

that sounds fantastic ta and any help would be good! I dont know if i boobed up but saw a listing on fleebay for somebody selling a lightly used full basket and plates ect for a newer dry clutch. Its a steel one not alloy so poss worth a punt? Know that i need to use my pressure plate as it has the inclusive pushrod. Just missing way too much riding time and after the i.o.m balls up i just wanna be out on the old gal. Also need a new or used mirror lens as somebody put an old crappy piece of smaller crap on before i got it and it needs a bit of a lift. Thanks all :choo: :choo: :D
900streetfighter

Your pushrod is siezed in the 'top hat' and the bearing, very common and not a problem and can be left together if the pressure plate bearing is ok.(they very rarely fail) All Ducati dry clutches are interchangable, they vary a bit in plate order focusing around the dished 1.5 plate(only discernable with a straight edge). The only factory upgrade is the slave cylinder on the later models(star shaped insert on outside face) which requires a longer pushrod or spacer. Changing the basket requires removing the hub by undoing the nut which can be a pain.
Here's a good article on clutch assemby.
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/clutch2.php
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Here's my bit on Ducati clutches.
Steel baskets are much more durable, especially when used with aluminum alloy clutch plates. But the steel basket is heavier, so it has some flywheel affect. If you use the aluminum plates, it will reduce that flywheel affect. This is the cheapest longest lasting setup.

The aluminum baskets are much lighter, and more expensive. Never buy a used aluminum basket, as its most likely knackered. (Unless you can inspect in person before buying) Only use aluminum plates in an aluminum basket. Steel plates in an aluminum basket will destroy it quickly.

Come to think of it, steel friction plates don't have any real use, except maybe a wind chime. I only use the aluminum ones.

Barnett clutch plates used to be the best thing going, then they screwed up the formula about 5 years back, and they don't last as long anymore. I haven't heard if they have corrected this mistake yet or not. They supposedly had 'discovered' a compound that would work for both wet and dry Ducati clutches, but the dry ones ate up the plates rather quickly.

On occasion, I take the clutch pack apart, clean everything. If the tangs on the aluminum plates are mushroomed, I take a hammer to them with a good flat anvil (I have a section of railroad rail that works great) and hammer the mushroom back flat. This fills up the space that makes the rattle, and also hardens the material to some extent. I then reassemble the plates flopped the other way so the drive side of the tangs is the other side. I also play around with the stack so that the aluminum plates aren't contacting in the same exact spot on the hub slots. It makes the hub last longer. If you have deep grooves in your hub slots already, you can't play this game. Playing with thick and thin steel plates adjusts the height to the prescribed thickness, which I think is 48.5mm.

I always use the dished plate, but its exact location I don't think is that important. I have tried it as the first one with a quiet clutch mod and everything seemed to work just fine.
When touring,(on the ST4s) I always take a thick and thin steel plate along just in case I need to make an adjustment on the road. The steel plates with tabs on the inside never seem to degrade, and I keep them. I have a stack of them in the garage.

Cheers,
Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
900streetfighter

I didn't realise the 906 had the hydrolics via the clutch cover and not from the sprocket side with the seperate slave cylinder,(I assumed all 6 speed motors were the same). So if someone who does know what they're talking about wants to help this guy out I'll get my coat. :dunno: K.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Ah, good point.
Then your only choice is the steel basket. Same clutch assembly back to the early Pantah's. Last model with that style dry clutch was the 906. They did use that style clutch in later model 750's for another 5 years or so (all 5 speed), but they were wet (SS and Monsters). You can still use that basket though, but not the plates, as they were made for oil. If you need a new basket, the wet 750 basket is probably a good choice for a used basket, as the oil cushions the tangs and don't leave as big of divots in the slots of the basket.

Everything else is valid.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
oldman354

Post by oldman354 »

Hi all. The basket on mine looks ok tbh its just the plates that are jam trucked! As i just paid for the used 998 dry basket and clutch complete i hope at least the plates can be used or modified ect but obviously the friction plate is different as my old one has the pushrod fixed in the middle and not the long rod type. My side panel has an integrated hydraulic tophat and bleed nipple not the sep type as per newer type clutch. All i wanna do is ride the best bike i have ever had and as i have had over 60x bikes that says a lot but i can understand how people can give up on them and get a boring old bit of crap that is going to start every time but i would like to thank god for ducati and wish i had got one years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :shock: :lol: :banghead:
900streetfighter

Hi John, I sent you a pm 2 weeks ago re: loan of manual and spare plates. The pm is still in my outbox so either you haven't seen it there or it didn't get to you. Please pm me with your details again or phone me if you still have my number. Cheers Keith.
Ducolaf

Post by Ducolaf »

I have a set of friction plates available, as some non-Ducati mechanic have put wet clutchplates in my dry 907 ie clutch.
The plates have a bronze coating on the full surface, so no "blocks" of friction material, a continues surface.

Used in a dry clutch, it is difficult to accelerate from a dead stop into first gear, as the plates generate too much friction and the engine stalls.
Please PM me for pics or price, could measure thickness as well if required. Will be on holiday shortly however)

Set is for sale as I have no use for them except discus throwing on the London Olympics however was unable to qualify.. . . ;-)
If you realy look you will see that the whole world is Ducati Red. . .

Proud owner of a;
- Ducati 907 ie 1992 in red
- Ducati 900 SSC Imola 1997 in red
- aprilia RST Mille Futura 2001 in infinity blue
- Alfa Romeo 159 SW 2007 in Grigrio Stromboli