What size Tyre can I run on the rear without Modifications?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
wiseman
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

What size Tyre can I run on the rear without Modifications?

Post by wiseman »

I have recently Bought a 1989 906 Paso and can't find a rear tyre (160/60-16) anywhere. Can anyone suggest a tyre size to fit without any major modifications? Please Help
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: What size Tyre can I run on the rear without Modificatio

Post by ducinthebay »

My crystal ball says that you should contact Golden Tire in Italy for the answers to all your needs for round rubber bits, oh, and search all the posts for the past 10 years describing the difficulty in finding a tire size that went extinct as soon as it was on the market. Fashion is so fickle, and 16" tires were in fashion for about 6 months when the Paso was designed.

Good to have another member.

Cheers, phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
jayh
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by jayh »

Metzeler me 880 goes straight on.No chicken strips left on mine,they hang on well! They last a while as well. J.
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

jayh wrote:Metzeler me 880 goes straight on.No chicken strips left on mine,they hang on well! They last a while as well. J.
Indeed "cellardoor" is using this tire on his 750 Paso without any modification

cf:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... &start=240

is anyone using this tire on the 906? I am wondering if it would fit because as far as i understood, the chainline is not the same with the 906 compared to the 750 (because the 906 has a 6 speed box)?

I would be nice to here that there is (beside the goldentire and the 150/80 (avon) option) another version that provides no modification - clearly, which way to go is another question widely discussed here.

anyway, as far as I read here, the metzler 880 would be the only 180 / 60 that fits without modification of the chainline.

all the best, hardo
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

hardo wrote:
jayh wrote:Metzeler me 880 goes straight on.No chicken strips left on mine,they hang on well! They last a while as well. J.
Indeed "cellardoor" is using this tire on his 750 Paso without any modification

cf:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... &start=240

is anyone using this tire on the 906? I am wondering if it would fit because as far as i understood, the chainline is not the same with the 906 compared to the 750 (because the 906 has a 6 speed box)?

I would be nice to here that there is (beside the goldentire and the 150/80 (avon) option) another version that provides no modification - clearly, which way to go is another question widely discussed here.

anyway, as far as I read here, the metzler 880 would be the only 180 / 60 that fits without modification of the chainline.

all the best, hardo
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

I have had the Metzeller 180/60-16 recently fitted to my 906. It fits fine and looks great also.
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

thanks for the info

you did not do any modifications regarding the chainline?

i did some measurements today - just for fun -. my 150 / 80 Avon Azaro is 165 mm (on the 5' rim of the Paso).

there is almost 10 mm left to chainline, hence, any tire that is below 180 mm (mounted on the 5' rim of the Paso) should have no serious connection to the chain.

given this table

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... &start=255

indeed the Metzler is the only 180 / 60 that should do it.

just as an info, i know there are more points to consider when trying to find a tire solution for the paso. still - beside the current goldentire option which the corret size - it is still nice to hear that there are at least some possibilities.

all the best, hardo