Fork Seals

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Oldrocker
model: 906 Paso
year: 1992

Fork Seals

Post by Oldrocker »

Fork oil spewing all over discs, wheel, tyre...handling like a small hippo - Oh Joy :( - hence I'm going to learn how to fit new fork seals.
Very many thanks to Whoever put the workshop manual online.
If anyone has observations or hit snags on this job I'd be grateful for info. Need to get back on the road and get out with the lads next week. :thumbup:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Fork Seals

Post by paso750 »

If the bottom bolt of the stanchion tube is removed you can yank it out. (Drain the oil first of course) Be sure to remove the stop ring then and do not try to lever the oil seal out with a screw driver. The sidewall of the forkleg is thin and can break out. The only way to do it this way is to protect the edge and paint in some way. It doesn`t really matter if the dust seal and stop ring are removed before or after pulling out the stanchion tube.

Usually it works fine if you drive a screw in the oil seal and then use a heat gun to warm up the fork leg around the oil seal. (Don`t hold it to near and don`t heat too much as that can damage the paint). Pull on the screw and the seal should come out easily.

When assembling don`t fit the oil seal before putting the stanchion tube in the fork leg. Chances are high the seal gets damaged when trying to push the stanchion tube through it.
Put some oil on the oil seal and carefully push it over the stanchion tube then continue assembly. There are special drivers to push the seal in position. Don`t try to push it in with a screwdriver.

G.
Oldrocker
model: 906 Paso
year: 1992

Re: Fork Seals

Post by Oldrocker »

Many thanks for your help paso750, I shall do my best not to screw up !
All best.