ignition switch problems

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ordinaryguy
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

ignition switch problems

Post by ordinaryguy »

Greetings,
I'm Steve, I live in "slightly burnt" Colorado. I have a running 95 900ss and a 1988 750 Paso I am currently trying to get back on the road. I did have it running briefly a few weeks ago. but discovered I had some brake and clutch issues. Brake and clutch problems resolved but I now have some kind of an electrical gremlin. First the starter solenoid was bad but now the ignition switch seems to be warn out. the bottom of the switch (where the wires go in) was held together with zip ties. When I took it apart one of the two copper contacts on the turning part of the switch were broken in 2 pieces. I did try to fix it but current doesn't seem to flow. I get current at the green wire when I turn the switch to on. I'm not sure if I should be getting current from the gray or yellow wire when the switch is on. If the switch is acting up, what should I check?
Thanks for your help,
Ordinary Guy
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: ignition switch problems

Post by 907pasonut »

hi Steve from "slightly burnt" here in aus things get burnt to a crisp unfortunately!...I had a look at your 906 w/diagram and i cant see a green on this diagram, but there is YR, GRY, RBK, BN or yellow/red, gray, red/black, brown, try by-passing the ignition switch (hot wire it) by connecting yellow/red and gray together ///and/// red/black and brown together, then connect the battery it should be ready to start.
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
ordinaryguy
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ordinaryguy »

Well, I did try to bypass the ignition switch, but no luck. Ground seems to be good on the fuel pump. No current to the pump or the dash. I just don't know what the next step is. I did connect a lead from the bat to the + side of the pump and it ran so that makes me think it's the switch. I guess I need to find out where the break is in the pos side to the pump right?
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

hi Steve, the wiring circuit still giving you greef...just relax and have a good look at the skematic w/diagram and most important get yourself a test light (or make one) have a clamp on one wire and a sharp spike connected to the other wire.
clamp the -ve wire from the test light to the chassis and with the sharp spike you can stab the wires without causing any damage, to check for voltage, start with the fuses then ignition switch then follow the circuit, dont let all the wires confuse you, you have to break the cucuit down into sections and focus on one section at the time, if it helps get some red stikers and stick them on the tested +ve wires.
it shouldnt take you long to see where the faulty component (switch, relay, connectors etc) is, always refer to the wiring diagram as you go along.
good luck :beer:
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

I just read your other new post :dunno: ...looks like you've sorted out the problem
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress