Restoring a 906

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ricardojurado

Restoring a 906

Post by ricardojurado »

Hello all,

I´m new on the forum, this post is just to introduce myself to the audience and also, if possible get some advertisement in order to restore my old Paso 906.

My name is Ricardo Jurado, I live at Cádiz (South Spain), I´m 32. I became the owner of a Paso 906 because the old owner, a member of my family, was not interested on the bike, so I decided to restore it in order to get an acceptable shape, that is supposed for this fantastic bike.

I focused my work on start the engine, what was not easy, since the bike was stopped more than 7 years and not in a garage but in the street. I got several problems with a valve of the rear cylinder but at the end my mechanic got to fix it.

With no many problems the bike passed the official technical test (ITV) and now it works reasonably good excepting some problems of the cooling system that is loosing some water, which looks normal given the long time that the bike has been not working. The bike has also many small problems like the fuel tank, bad shape of the wires, some controls of the consol does not work, like the speed or the watch. It need a general tuning and also new tires. I already read some post in the forum and I noticed that I´m not the first one :roll:

I though to replace the parts, but on the other hand my aim is to restore completely the bike. I know that is a tremendous work but I decided to fix it.

I suppose that a Paso 906 is not the easiest bike to restore specially been the first one that I will face. This is the aim of this post. Should I unfix all the bike and start since the very beginning or keep solving every small problem? Your advise will be very useful for me. Any tip is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo Jurado :cool:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Welcome to the site, Ricardo! I hope you get some good advice from the 906 owners.

I have a 750, and I was lucky enough to buy her in good condition. All I had to do was fix the clock, adjust the delOrtos that were already fitted, and improve the wiring. Now she's really good to own and ride.
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Welcome, Ricardo

Good luck with your restoration project. I'm a 907 owner since new so I don't have much experience with a full teardown. I someday hope to find a 906 or 750 that needs a little resto.

Regards, B
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

WELCOME Ricardo :thumbup:

I have 750 and 907 Pasos and i spend lot of time with them(especially in wintertime by fixing all kind of problems, what these Ducatis have), but 750 is quite easy to fix, cause its much more simple, than injected 907. All these Pasos need plenty of time to take care of them and they are NOT easiest bikes ever build, but human have mede them, so human can also fix them, so I know, that You find here plenty of good advices to Your work! You have to ask, and we answer, if we know :thumbup:

Dont scare, that some parts are these days rare to find. There are also some wrecked bikes and guys have sometimes nice parts for sale here, cause i think, here can be found very good homes to old useful Paso parts :cool:

Finnpaso
Paso 750
Paso 907IE
Marcel
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Marcel »

Welcome Ricardo!

I have a 906 too, I bought her Februar this year she's a blue 906, since then I'm every free hour working with her, The engine sounds good, so I'm doing the bodywork first.
It's a very nice job to do, and I found the missing and spares on this site. I'm also very happy with the (PDF) manual I received from Fernando.
I wish you a lot of fun with your great bike, and I'm sure you have a lot of fun on this site,

best regards Marcel
Last edited by Marcel on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Paso 906 1990
jomo
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Ricardo,

Welcome and good luck. It is a worthwhile project. They are a bike in a class of their own. Nothing else rides like a Paso. With your exchange rate, it should be good for you to buy parts from our Australian suppliers, like "Gowanloch" and "Road and Race".
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
sparra

Post by sparra »

Hi there,i have purchased a 1989 906 Paso,this site is great for us paso lovers,im restoring it at the moment i have all the mechanical side all sorted now,runs so sweet.Im wanting to do the final stage now the paint work!.The paint code is what i need to know?,i have a red model.Im trying to source the sticker graphics,i have luckly found the stickers,transfers that go under the fairing [Paso 906],im looking for the rest of the set so that i can put bike in for the full respray.Im going to keep the original style,can any body on this site able to help in advice where i can purchase or who maybe does replicas and who knows the paint codes.your help out there is so much appreciated.
Regards Sparra :D
JWilliam
year: 1989

Restoring a 906

Post by JWilliam »

Standing for 7 years without cover? Good luck with that project. The good thing about Paso's is that they are easy to strip down. I can have the swingarm out within 1 hour. Check the underside of the fuel tank they are prone to crack and rust there. If you want a new clock you must adapt a different model because the original ones failed. The headstock could be a problem too because dealer tools are needed to remove and refit the headstock nut. I stored my Paso for 5 years (inside) and the steering was very stiff after this. Carburation is not all that good standard (Weber) because the air correction jet is set too big, halving this size makes better running (with racing exhaust). You could use a Japanese rectifier because the standard Ducati Energis unit can overcharge. Apart from that it won't take you very long to get it running but it will take you nearly forever to get it running sweetly. There are many good posts here (906 forums) that will give you clues to making your Paso great again.