Blown Paso

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
stigonpaso
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Blown Paso

Post by stigonpaso »

Duc906 your a man after my own heart. I hope one day to turbo my Paso. Garrett GT1241.
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Thanks for the ideas, they are all welcome. There is a guy here in oz that has made a replacement unit for the Digiplex that might be able to be reprogramed http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/MyIgn.html I might give him a try, it would save having to replace fly wheels, side covers etc.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

angelix wrote:
paso750 wrote:
(2 pickups and two modules)
and different flywheel, isn`t it ?

G.
Unless you want to do dome machining and loose the original parts from the 906, the list of what is needed is simple... out of a SS-Monster 900 750-900 carburated youi need:

- left crankcase cover (including the stator)
- flywheel
- Rotor (for the generator)
- pickups
- a pair of coils
- Ignitech or KoKusan modules
- consumables (faston wires, solder, shrink-sleeve, etc etc)

everything can be found on ebay, then the fitting is a matter of a couple of hours, knowing what you have to do.

Most probably there will be the need of some drilling / tapping to fit the pickups.

alternatively you can do it using the original cover (with stator) and the generator rotor, but the cover will need a small hole for the pickup cables to come out and the old pickup location will need to be sealed.
But what about the water pump?
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

a friend has a carb converted ST2 engine and all he did to the engine (when replacing the complete injection and ignition system) was swapping flywheel and pick ups. There was no need to modify or change stator/rotor or alternator cover. The cover has the front pass through for the wiring and there`s a plate to cover the hole of the single pick up. (I have that too on my 750 btw)
The ST2 engine still has the bosses to mount the pick up carrier so no drilling or welding was required. Only later models didn`t have them anymore so that shouldn`t be a problem on a 906.

So that`s all fairly easy but the complete wiring modification to replace the Marelli with the Kokusan units with their different connectors would be more work.
There is a guy here in oz that has made a replacement unit for the Digiplex that might be able to be reprogramed http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/MyIgn.html I might give him a try, it would save having to replace fly wheels, side covers etc.
I wonder how useful that is. There are only 3 preset advance curves you can choose. 25° may be too little and 35° may not make much difference as original is 36°.
The Silent Hektik Marelli replacement has 16 selectable curves but is quite a bit more expensive.

If you had the Kokusan ignition you could try the flywheel of a 600 Monster/SS which has 32° advance and is also quite a bit lighter. (you may have to lower the height by ca. 4mm though)

G.
stigonpaso

Post by stigonpaso »

Duc906 wrote:Thanks for the ideas, they are all welcome. There is a guy here in oz that has made a replacement unit for the Digiplex that might be able to be reprogramed http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/MyIgn.html I might give him a try, it would save having to replace fly wheels, side covers etc.

I'm planing on using his MyIgn seeing as my Digiplex as gone bananas.

How do you feel about converting to fuel injection? Mega squirt make some nice DIY F.I. engine management products.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Fascinating, and some might say insane: spending all that time and money on an antique which was down on power to begin with.

I guess a SC might make the bike have the sort of power it "deserved" when it was new. Personally, I would not do this to my own bike, but I would be happy to buy one already converted. I can imagine the torque on such a motor will be truly stunning, and wonder what sort of figures the bike might make on a lazy 4lbs boost. Also, what sort of fuel consumption???

The bike already suffers Extremely-Small-Tank syndrome and I am confident my wife's 2-litre Mitsubishi burns less fuel than my 906! Maybe you can pod-filter the air, and ditch the airbox, and increase tank capacity at the same time?

Anyway, best of luck to you, your project looks brilliant, and challenging, and I bet any 906 owner would give their left lung for a 906 with "real" power. :)
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Mobius wrote:Fascinating, and some might say insane: spending all that time and money on an antique which was down on power to begin with.

I guess a SC might make the bike have the sort of power it "deserved" when it was new. Personally, I would not do this to my own bike, but I would be happy to buy one already converted. I can imagine the torque on such a motor will be truly stunning, and wonder what sort of figures the bike might make on a lazy 4lbs boost. Also, what sort of fuel consumption???

The bike already suffers Extremely-Small-Tank syndrome and I am confident my wife's 2-litre Mitsubishi burns less fuel than my 906! Maybe you can pod-filter the air, and ditch the airbox, and increase tank capacity at the same time?

Anyway, best of luck to you, your project looks brilliant, and challenging, and I bet any 906 owner would give their left lung for a 906 with "real" power. :)
summat wrong with your bike mobes :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Been a while sinse I been on mine but 400km ish ( at the speed limit ) range is not bad , 350 if I up the pace a bit.
A harley sportster has a small tank at 12L ,
and any how after reading some of your previous posts I think its a good idea for you to buy such a conversion already done rather than do it yourself :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Mobius wrote:Fascinating, and some might say insane: spending all that time and money on an antique which was down on power to begin with.

Mobius, if it wasn't for some of the "insane" people and their desire to be different that have inhabited this earth over the years then we'd still be running around with clubs, dressed in animal skins and behaving like monkeys. The time that I've spent on this project doesn't bother me because I've enjoyed the engineering side of it. The cost has been minimal, so far I've spent about $320 getting it to where it is now because I've been able to do all the work myself.
stigonpaso wrote:I'm planing on using his MyIgn seeing as my Digiplex as gone bananas.

How do you feel about converting to fuel injection? Mega squirt make some nice DIY F.I. engine management products.
Stig, If you just want to replace your Digiplex then get one from Ian at Italsparesducati on ebay, I've been using one of his for about 2 years and it works great. I have no desire to change the carby, like I said earlier, I know the Weber.
paso750 wrote:a friend has a carb converted ST2 engine and all he did to the engine (when replacing the complete injection and ignition system) was swapping flywheel and pick ups. There was no need to modify or change stator/rotor or alternator cover. The cover has the front pass through for the wiring and there`s a plate to cover the hole of the single pick up. (I have that too on my 750 btw)
The ST2 engine still has the bosses to mount the pick up carrier so no drilling or welding was required. Only later models didn`t have them anymore so that shouldn`t be a problem on a 906.

I don`t think the coils need to be changed as on the 906 they are 3 ohms, too. At least Ken has the Dyna coils already so that would come off the list.

So that`s all fairly easy but the complete wiring modification to replace the Marelli with the Kokusan units with their different connectors would be more work.
There is a guy here in oz that has made a replacement unit for the Digiplex that might be able to be reprogramed http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/MyIgn.html I might give him a try, it would save having to replace fly wheels, side covers etc.
I wonder how useful that is. There are only 3 preset advance curves you can choose. 25° may be too little and 35° may not make much difference as original is 36°.
The Silent Hektik Marelli replacement has 16 selectable curves but is quite a bit more expensive.

If you had the Kokusan ignition you could try the flywheel of a 600 Monster/SS which has 32° advance and is also quite a bit lighter. (you may have to lower the height by ca. 4mm though)G.
It said on his web site that it may be able to be reprogramed, I still want to get in touch with him and find out more info.
The monster flywheel sounds interesting. What do you mean by "(you may have to lower the height by ca. 4mm though)"?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-superspo ... 900ss.html
What these guys don`t consider is that the timings of the two flywheels are not identical according to Brad the Bike Boy`s site.
It`s interesting to see that the manuals state 32° for all models but for the 750/900 that doesn`t seem to be reality.
It said on his web site that it may be able to be reprogramed
I missed that.

G.