Back on the road again!

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Mobius
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Back on the road again!

Post by Mobius »

So all Summer long I have put off even trying to fix the failed starter sprag issue on my red beast. I tried to start it a couple of times but no joy. Every time I looked at doing the job myself, it all started to look like a long, and dirty job. I know you lot will say it's a piece of cake - and I even had the procedure printed out, but I just couldn't face it.

But... seeing as I am currently forking out a small fortune to restore a 1969 911S (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJlhWPN ... DmEUj20Z38) , I relented and rang Duane's Bikes and Skis.

In less than 48 hours they had picked the bike up and repaired it, with the shortened spring approach, and did some other fix-up work while they were there. $386 including the pickup!

I would have been happy to pay twice that. :)

Immediately, after picking the bike up, I had to ride the longest route all the way across town, in rush hour traffic. The 20 minute ride would have been a 50 minute drive, no doubt. It's so nice being able to cut up the traffic at the lights, and when it's stopped. I just hope I don't get caught doing it.

The bike is running brilliantly - and Duane said the battery still had enough juice to turn it over nicely (it has the HiCap starter mod) after 6 months of sitting in the garage. I was surprised by that!

Not only that, but they steam cleaned it - and although it was under cover in the garage, it is looking superb now.

I buddy of mine has just bought his first bike: a little Italian upright trainer/narrow/trials kind of thing - so I am looking for ward to going out for a few rides before it gets cold. It's amazing how quickly I forget how great the bike is, when I don't ride it.

It's so much easier to get around town - where the roads are still totally awful after the earthquakes - on the bike than it is in the 928. But the car beckons, as I have a week of Disc Golf down south starting tomorrow.

Anyway - I'm still lurking, and riding again. I plan to make a little video in a week's time.

I hope you northern brothers had a safe winter, and are getting your bikes ready for summer. Take care!
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Back on the road again!

Post by englishstiv »

Are you sure that car wasn't rolled and used for buck shot practice?
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991