Greetings! New rescued paso here

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
smurfiyot
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Greetings! New rescued paso here

Post by smurfiyot »

Good Day!

6 months ago, I acquired a Paso 906 for a cheap price. But it was beyond recognition of what used to be magnificent bike. It had no wheels, no mags, no covers, no rear axle adjusters, no rear axle, no gauges, etc. Basically, it only had the tank, chassis, engine, tail piece, forks, swing arm and its rear shock. Parts here in the Philippines for ducati motorcycles are very hard to find and rare. I manage to buy a pair of wheels and mags from a motorcycle graveyard, it came from a Kawasaki GPZ 400. Had the rear axle and adjusters made from a local machine shop, the adjusters is not even a adjuster, more like a bushing. So I drilled holes on the swing arm to mount a cheap chain tensioner for the chains to tighten. You may not agree on the tail I made, but due to limited resources I had to cut it short leaving only me to ride on it(currently waiting for a custom made R1 tail to replace it) its basically looks like a street fighter now.

for now, this is how it looks like (pipe is not on because I had to have it repack)

My concern is, I personally rebuild the bike from scratch, most of the information I got from doing so came from this site or other websites. Im not sure if I have it all setup correctly, The main problem of the bike is that it takes a long time to start up, I had to run to a battery repair shop to get my battery charge. Let say, I was able to turn on the bike today and run a couple of miles, when I get back home I turn off the bike and a couple of minutes later turn it on, no problem. But if I leave the bike overnight, in the morning the bike wont start. I have to raise the tank a bit in order for my hands to reach and cover the intake of the carb to turn it on, even doing so takes some time to turn it on.

What I did notice before when I was cleaning the carburetor is there is a lever at the front were you can pull it and if you release it, it goes back in place. I'm not sure if this is affecting the start up, or if it suppose to be part with the throttle grip or not. I'm not sure, for what I can see on the throttle grip it only have the throttle cable and there is another hole that I can put another cable. please help.

P.S. please forgive my english and grammar.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Greetings! New rescued paso here

Post by paso750 »

I`ve seen this pic before and it`s a shocker. I wonder how narrow those rims are as the tires look like balloons.
However the lever on the carb is for the choke. What you do by covering the air intake is making the mixture richer to start the engine.
The choke lever is normally connected to the clutch pump but in case it`s missing you can adapt any other choke lever. I guess at this point it doesn`t make much difference. ;)

G.
JWilliam
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

Awful isn't it, here is a pic of mine to restore your faith in Humanity.

smurfiyot

Post by smurfiyot »

Thanks for the responses, However 2 nights ago my paso burned. Only thing I was able to save was the engine, carb, fuel pump, chassis, mags, swing arm, fork, cdi, regulator and the original tail piece. Tank burned but just the paint, im surprised that it did not blew up. All the plastics parts, hoses, both wheels and wires are beyond recognition. What happened was I made the same mistake as what the other member of this forum did by putting gas on the air intake of the carb. A backfire occurred and fire started. I'm planning on rebuilding it when I get back from Qatar. New swing arm, new upside down fork, new mags and wheels, new electrical harness and new fairings(Planning to order one set of ducati 1098 from DH gate).
Any inputs on what swing arm and forks to use?I don't mind machining the mounts just to fit it. And where to buy compete wire harness?
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

Sorry to hear that. I thought the overall rat/Mad Max style you created there was cool. You've got a big job on your hands by the sound of it. I don't think 1098 plastics will fit though.
smurfiyot

Post by smurfiyot »

Thanks 900streetfighter, I was thinking about it if it would fit or not but. It's probably the tank that may cause it, So I was thinking in buying 1098 tank and make it fit then the rest would follow. A cut there and here, I don't think it would be that hard, I wish :lol:
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

SImplest will be another 907 or Paso arm - there's nothin wrong with them at all - cheapest will be a Paso part but I do have a slightly damaged but overall sound 907 arm sitting here thats surplus to requirements if you get desperate - it is in the UK though
900streetfighter

907 arm would be easier to fit a rear wheel to. A lot of Monster, SS and ST 17" wheels will bolt straight in, but I guess you have to make use of whatever you can get hold of there. As for front forks you are a bit restricted because they are very long on the Paso.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Jwilliam, that paint job looks cool , but I gotta say that the back tire looks so wrong , Probly works real good but to me the profile is way to high . I know tire's are a bitch to get for the paso but Im ( have done now ) going for the 17" conv .... mostly to avoid the very thing I see at your back wheel, but I do like that tricoloure paint job
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
smurfiyot

Post by smurfiyot »

I was thinking of selling the entire thing living me the engine. I had this idea of building a new entire bike from scratch. I was surfing through ebay looking for parts and came across with a wide range of ducati 1098 parts. So, I was thinking in buying ducati 1098 frame, swinger, subrame, forks, wheels, and rim. It would cost we around $2000. But would the paso 906 engine fit in a ducati 1098 frame?
900streetfighter

Should bolt straight in but the swingarm pivot width and bore might be different.
smurfiyot

Post by smurfiyot »

Thanks for the response their 900streetfighter, I was thinking about that too. Would the swingarm pivot width and bore longer/shorter than of the paso's original? Thanks
JWilliam
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

Mc tool wrote:Jwilliam, that paint job looks cool , but I gotta say that the back tire looks so wrong , Probly works real good but to me the profile is way to high . I know tire's are a bitch to get for the paso but Im ( have done now ) going for the 17" conv .... mostly to avoid the very thing I see at your back wheel, but I do like that tricoloure paint job
Hamish
Grip is super, way better than the Michelins ever were. The tall profile looks a bit Motogp I know but I can get some serious lean. If I was going to get new wheels I'd want BST carbons - £2K+ tho but the axle and disc fitment is all taken care of by them as they make custom hubs. I'll dream it will happen one day.
smurfiyot

Post by smurfiyot »

Question, does a paso 750 timing belt fit in a 906? Thanks
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

no, it`s too short and has square teeth instead of round ones.

G.