Air filter box

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Air filter box

Post by Giscard »

This is going to be a stupid question but here goes. I am trying to get the air filter box off. I have removed the 4 plastic grommets in the top which should allow me to get at the nuts inide the air filter box. Unfortunately the air filter horn which has cutaways presumably to let a socket in and the nut out encroaches to the edge of the nut. This negates the usefullness of the cutaways as I can neither get a spanner in or the nut out. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the solution.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Air filter box

Post by paso750 »

loosen all nuts and then lift the airhorn to get the nuts from the thread rods.
As the problem is mainly with the rear nuts I grinded the cutout corners of the air horn a bit more to get a tube spanner on and the nuts off.

G.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

I think for future removal I will grind the airhorn but at the moment I can not get a spanner on the nuts at the back and only barely on the two at the front.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Finally got them off with the aid of a pair of needle nosed pliers. Just got to grind the corners of the air horn before I refit it and that will make life so much easier if ever I need to do this again :)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Mine was fairly tight clearance wise but I used a 1/4 " drive socket ok . You really need 6" inch long double jointed fingers to get the rear ( front ) nuts on . Don't just stick them into the end of the socket and lower them thru the airbox top ...... they WILL fall out and go down the carb ( that never happened to me :mad: :mad: )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Mine wasn't helped by the fact that there were spacers, which may have been fitted by a previous owner as they were different lengths, on the threaded rods from the carburettor which brought the nuts right into the cutaway on the air horn. If they had been lower (which they will be soon) I could have got a long thin socket onto the nut a lot easier.
You are of course right as that carb mouth is just asking for all sorts of bits and pieces to be posted in there. :D