Weber carb

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Weber carb

Post by Giscard »

I want to replace the float needle on my Weber carb and I am trying to dismantle it on the bike. I have disconnected the air horn and want to take the top cover off. I have removed the 3 obvious screws but it does not want to come off with very gentle persuasion. Am I missing something ie another screw as I do not want to force it until I have got them all out. I have an exploded diagram but that only shows 1 screw but the holes for the other two that I have removed are visible.
As I said am I missing something ?
Duc906
year: 1989

Re: Weber carb

Post by Duc906 »

Hi Gis
There are 4 screws holding the top on the carb.
Attachments
Weber.jpg
(165.41 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

after the removal of the 4 screws the parts may still stick together a bit. You should replace the gasket before reassembly.

G.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Thanks Guys. I had not noticed the one that was hidden under the gasket . The picture helped a lot. It's off now.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

...and the inevitable follow up question, when you are measuring the 42mm from the surface of the gasket to the bottom of the float when it is just touching the needle where exactly on the float do you measure as it varies depending on the position. Do I assume in the middle of the float.
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Giscard wrote:...and the inevitable follow up question, when you are measuring the 42mm from the surface of the gasket to the bottom of the float when it is just touching the needle where exactly on the float do you measure as it varies depending on the position. Do I assume in the middle of the float.
Correct. :thumbup:
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Thanks Ken :)
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Put the Weber back together after carefully measuring the 42mm gap for the float. Bike coughed and spluttered a bit until the fuel was through then ticked over steadily and responded nicely when blipping the throttle. Trying to start it again needed no more than a press of the starter without throttle or choke. Prior to dismantling the carburettor it was reluctant to start to say the least. Result :)

I have not adjusted the idle mixture or checked the carb balance yet but I will do these once I have taken her out for a mile or two. Up until now I have only done 4 miles on this bike so I think need to learn its secrets before I mess about with it so that I know that I have made an improvement. :D