No spark at plugs coils get power please help

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Chromefox
model: 906 Paso
year: 1992

No spark at plugs coils get power please help

Post by Chromefox »

Hi all not very experienced with wiring at all so need some help my 906 was parked up some 4 years ago now (engine not been run for last 3 years) with the good weather recently i decided to give her a check over and get her up and running i have replaced the plugs and leads as it was sitting new battery fitted changed oil and fuel tried to start her but wont fire turns over good has got power going to the coil but no spark not even a weak one i have tried to research this problem but all i can find is a thread about no spark with the relay conversion (which mine hasnt got) just wondering is there a way i can check the coil without buying new one as they are quite expensive to buy just to see.

Cheers
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: No spark at plugs coils get power please help

Post by ducinthebay »

Take a picture of the coils that you have on there if you could. If they are the same ones as on the earlier Paso and Sport, the high tension lead is not replaceable. (Grey bodies, Japanese made) If you replaced the leads, then that might be your problem right there. Coils from an SS or monster from e-bay are quite cheap and work fine. Coils do wear out over time, so they should be replaced anyway, especially after 20 years. The high performance option is the Dyna coils, or the sets that Ca. CycleWorks is now selling.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

First of all you should add your location to your profile and then consider replacing the belts as next.
Before you do anything like replacing coils do check if the RUN-OFF switch is in RUN position. If it is
pull all fuses, check and clean them. Then check if you have constant 12V at the coils.

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

On the 906 Paso the coils are powered from the ignition switch and the digiplex electronic ignition unit is powered from the on/off switch on the right hand handle bar switch block. If you have power to the coils but no spark check that you have power to the digiplex ( red wire 6th terminal hole from left in the plug at the digiplex) , if not check that you have power coming out of the R H switch ( brown wire at the R H switch harness plug under the front R H side of the tank ) and make sure that this plug is making good contact. Also ,probly do this 1st actually ..... make sure the digiplex is well earthed , and make sure the plug to the crank sensor is properly plugged in. :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time