Orange wires?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Orange wires?

Post by lane1feathers »

Hi all,
Looking at doing the wiring upgrade. Just read the tutorial by John Slocum and it all looks pretty easy....except, on the 906 there are no orange wires feeding the coils......so now it looks quite difficult!! :wacko: I have nice big black original coils on my 906 and the first coil (vertical cyl.) has a green/yellow going into one side and a red into the other side, while the coil on the horizontal cyl. has two reds going in one side together and a pink going in the other side.
Are these a better version than on the 750 making the relay installation redundant? or is it still necessary? If so, which wires?
I've had a poke around on the forum in previous threads but no actual wiring upgrade for the 906, just the 750.
Please help. :phone:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Orange wires?

Post by paso750 »

Lane, you didn`t check the wiring diagram. :mrgreen:
Red (orange on the P750) is constant 12V, the pink and the yellow/green are the ground signal that comes from the Digiplex.
Before you do anything measure the voltage at the coils. (when engine off and running). If all electrical contacts are clean and there`s (still) a voltage drop the wiring mod will be an improvement.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

(when engine off and running)

Engine on but not running :thumbup:

you are looking for battery voltage( +/- 0.2Volts) at the red wire on each coil at the coil. Battery voltage as in measured across the battery positive and negative posts

Leave the negative probe hooked to the battery and the touch the positive probe to the terminal at the coil(s) where the red wire connects to the coil

If this measures within 0.2 volts of what you measured across the battery you are good.

But that is only half the story as you also need to check all your grounds on the bike.

To do this leave the positive probe connected to the positive battery post and touch the negative probe to each ground on the bike with the ignition switch in the running position. Check the bolt and also the wire or terminal if you can't get to the wire. this also must be within 0.2 volts of battery voltage
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

But that is only half the story as you also need to check all your grounds on the bike.

To do this leave the positive probe connected to the positive battery post and touch the negative probe to each ground on the bike with the ignition switch in the running position. Check the bolt and also the wire or terminal if you can't get to the wire. this also must be within 0.2 volts of battery voltage
I`d rather disconnect the battery and use an ohmmeter for that :truck:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

an ohm meter will lie to you the only other way would be to use a $450.00 power probe 4 which is capable of doing the proper voltage drop test

voltage drop is the only accurate way to check any electrical connection

you could have one strand of a 10 strand wire making a good connection and it will pass any ohm meter check, it would not pass a voltage drop test
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

Cool, thanks guys.
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

The relay mod works well for the 906 but it is only a reroute of power for the Digiplex, which is the last appliance on the loom. Check the primary coil resistance too - mine measured something like 0R84 (that is less than 1 ohm) so I replaced them with Kawasaki modules that have a primary impedance of 3R5. Result - brighter headlight! The wiring for the OE coils is made only for them, the block connector piggy-backs the horizontal coils power with the vertical coil, a wire splice/doubler solves this.