Oil leak found!

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Oil leak found!

Post by lane1feathers »

Hey all,
Had an annoying oil leak. Every time I pulled up anywhere I would be dripping all over the floor. In the cold mornings i would pull up at a set of lights and it would look like the bike was on fire coz of all the smoke. the oil was dripping from the bottom of the motor and collecting in the 'X' where the exhaust pipes meet. I knew the o rings in both heads wept a little but not to this extent. With the fairings on it was impossible to trace. With them off it looked like it was coming out of the front cylinder. I thought one of the o rings in the oil gallery's had finally let go. I washed it down and went for a ride (while trying to get these mikunis tuned just right) and there was oil all down the front right hand side. I thought I may have not done the oil filter up tight enough as it seemed to be coming from around that area. After again degreasing motor I started it and let it idle in the driveway instead of going for a ride so I could see when it first started leaking :thumbup: ;) :truck:
Low and behold, it started leaking (quite ferociously) out from behind the rubber cover that goes over the oil pressure switch. I removed the cover and could clearly see the oil streaming out of the switch where the connector goes on. What a little bugger. The switch internals had failed and was letting the oil past.

So before tackling a head job look for the easy fix first :cool:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: Oil leak found!

Post by Mc tool »

Wanna start a club :) And the SS as well ! And I had to ride it home 20k's.. Reasoning that , like blood a little oil looks like a lot ,specially when its yours ( and coming out under pressure ) , wrapped a rag around it and headed for Vegas.
Go to a auto parts supplier , or look on the net , Im pretty sure its a 10mm x1mm straight thread and the one I got cracks at 8-9 psi :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
lane1feathers
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Cool, thanks Hamish, it's gotta be cheaper than the $64 Protwin want for a replacement!
I still had some road testing to do and didn't want to make a mess all over now clean bike so I got sneaky and removed switch, plugged switch internals with high temp, hydrocarbon impervious glue then replaced switch :D no more oil leak during testing. No oil light either but it's only temporary til I get a new one.

DISCLAIMER : THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY. NOT FOR LONG TERM SOLUTION. GLUE MAY BREAK DOWN OVER TIME (filter should take care of that but) I DO SOME PRETTY AWFUL THINGS (bush mechanic stuff) TO DAISY...BUT WE HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING! PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW MY LEAD IF UNSURE. :mrgreen:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

The SS was a laugh . The oil light was flashing intermitantly , but I had issues with the side stand light ( same colour ) , sometimes when going thru a dip in the road or even the right sort of bump the stand would drop down far enough to flick the light on for a sec , and I was even hitting the stand with my boot.. I got a few grey hairs before I figured that one out ...... so when the oil light started I just ignored it, A quick flash of red in the corner of your eye ( whilst trying to grind a bit of the footpegs .... and beat everyone to the next pub ) is hard to pin down , wasn't till I got to Mc Donalds drive thru ( window 2 ) that all was revealed, I have discovered that if I leave bike idling the girl in window 2 has to lean out so far to hear me ..... I can see right down her T shirt :evil: :) any how the little bitch didn't say nothing about the pool of oil forming under the bike and when I took off I damn near wound up facing the way I had come , Arhhhh groin strain ...... and the tits weren't worth it :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Come on Hamish, Mikey D's ain't no 25 cent peepshow

Is this what you expect ?
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
jayh
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by jayh »

Might pay to check if the switch is normally open, or normally closed.Then order accordingly :)
discovery tdi one works. J
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

The switch is normally closed. One from a VW Polo fits.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland