Tips on buying

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
RideFlyDiveSail

Tips on buying

Post by RideFlyDiveSail »

Hi guys,

I've admired the 906 for as long as I can remember. I remember seeing one brand new in the city the year I got my bike ticket...wow. I haven't had a bike for 8 years now (gees had to figure that out!) the last being a Kwaka GPX750R. Before that I rebuilt a Honda 750 four from the ground up, what fun.

Anyway, to the point: I'm in the market for a 906 and I've got the missus all but convinced, but an old Duc is a brand new ballgame for me. I'd be really interested in hearing some tips on what to look out for, what to avoid, what to jump at. I've read this site a fair bit and have gathered some great info for keeping the bike on the road, but not much on buying them. Is there anything to look out for between the years? What about maintenance items or service issues that I need to check has been done? Aftermarket modifications that should be avoided/looked for? Anything else you can think of....Any info much appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

check the "how much is too much Kilometres" topic in the 906 discussions. There are a few good tips on what to look for in a 906.

Do not be turned away by a Paso with the original weber carbs. They are fine on the open road & add to the experience around town. If you find one with aftermarket carbs then go for it but they sometimes mean higher fuel consumption.

There is an 88 750 in the classifieds in Spain if this is relevant to your needs & I think there may be a 906 there as well.

Do not expect a Paso to accellerate like an R1, it wont but it is more rewarding to ride & is a classic Ducati

Good luck with you search

:thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

check also the download section. There`s a used bikes guide for the Paso750. It`s not about the 906, but it will give you an indication.

Gerhard
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

andy, what state,country are you in???
RideFlyDiveSail

location???

Er... good point. Didn't realise that info didn't show up by default. Will fix the profile now.

Am currently located in Melbourne Australia. Yep, the terror target!

Thanks for the tips so far...have read the too many K's thread - good stuff there. One more question (might be a dumb one)...is an aftermarket carb job obvious - ie how do I check if the dealer has no idea?

Cheers
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Pasos didn't run too good with the Weber carb, and many people have fitted DelOrtos, like on my 750, which goes like stink, or Mikunis, but others have persevered with the Weber - apparently they run really well with the Weber if you fit a fuel pressure regulating valve, which are apparently easy to source and not expensive.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey RFDS,

Now that we know you are a fellow Aussie there are actually 3 x 906 Pasos listed on Bikesales.com.au at the moment. That is the most I have ever seen at one time & one is @ Albury in a dealers so not too for for you to check out. All look to be reasonable bikes especially teh Albury one. It has been listed there a few months so that may be a bargianing tool.
There is also a 907 @ Top gear in Vic that has been there for well over 12 months & will stay there while thay ask for $12000 could be worth a look & a spot of haggling. Remember the 907 has fuel injection & 17 inch rims. It is more refined than the 906 if that is what you seek.

Heres a link to the 906 Paso's

http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/search/s ... &x=42&y=14

There is also this very tidy 906 in Victoria on Bike point that looks worthy of consideration.

http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/Desktop ... ikepointau

AS for checking what carbs they are running I guess you would have to remove the bobywork & look. I don't think there is any other way other than direct comparison ride with one that you know has the webers. If you are talking to a private buyer & they hae replaced the webers thay will be sure to tell you that thay have done this. In reality the webers are not as scary & bad as they are made out to be. I run them & am very happy with my performance on the open/twisty roads. She is a dog round town sometimes but nothing too bad really. Either carbs will be just fine along the Great Ocean Road :lick: :thumbup:
Redpaso
RideFlyDiveSail

Thanks Red,

I have my eye on the Albury bike. Have spoken to dealer and will get up there soon to have a look.

My budget is more 906 sized but will probably get down to Seaford for a comparison on the 907. Intuitively I think I like the carbs better than injection...even if the price is tractability around town. My commuting is done in a 4x4 these days so I'm more interested in the open road. A fun cruiser with some attitude and character that needs a bit of tinkering is what I'm after. If it happens to be a classic and look as good as these bikes do its all good.

Thanks for the comments so far.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

about the question how to recognize an aftermarket carb job. Usually that`s easy. If you go down in front of the bike and look below the fairing you will see the carb and above it the black airbox.
Usually aftermarket carbs don`t use any airboxes because they don`t fit and making a new one is usually too much work for most, so the put on aftermarket pod filters.
The original carb is positioned on a short 2in1 inlet manifold and the carb is a big, bulky car type one.
Del`ortos are single carbs which sit on a short single inlet manifold. Usually they`re used with open foilters too and one filters shows to the front the one of the standing cylinder to the rear.
Mikunis, the carbs used on all other newer carbed Pasos have long single inlet manifolds and the carb itself is basically 2 carbs placed side by side.
This just to give you a rough indication.

otherwise see here the Mikuni carb:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... cle&sid=29

and the Weber:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... _photo.php

Gerhard
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey RFDS,

Have you purchased yourself a Paso yet? is it the Albury bike?
Redpaso
RideFlyDiveSail

G'day Red, Sorry been away a bit.

Nah not yet. Still looking around. I have been waiting to see what happened with the red one that was on ebay recently (finished on the weekend).

I rode the Albury bike a while back - not as clean as the photo suggests, not bad but I'm still looking.
I'm in no rush and the few on the market here don't seem to be going anyplace fast right now.

Cheers