Coil Relay installation.

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
A 9ASO
model: 906 Paso
year: 1991

Coil Relay installation.

Post by A 9ASO »

Hi guys,
I hope that someone can clarify something for me regarding the coil mods.
I apologise, but I am not an electrician and rather than making a mistake I would be grateful if someone can help me.
I have looked at the advice from Romus, Jonathan Slocum, David Hooau and paso750.
I have bought a pair of dc3-1 Dynatek coils to make a better job and my problem is what to do with the wiring that seems to be connected to the ignition system that is not mentioned. in particular the pink on the rear coil and the yellow/green on the front. I assume that these need to be connected back to the orange (9) and the Yellow/Green (11) on the digiplex.
I am mounting the relay on the wiring side of the tool tray and there seem to be a number of possible connections that may be made and I wonder if there is a preferred point, e.g. cutting into the red at the connector block where the Black/Green from the fuse is connected to the Red, Brown and Purple OR from the Red closer to the coils themselves with this cable pulled through from the connector block. ?
Another thing is the fuse rating to br used JS uses a 10Amp and Romus and DA use a 20Amp ?
Thanks for any information.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Coil Relay installation.

Post by paso750 »

there`re different places in the wiring loom were a relay can be placed.
The pink and the yellow/green are the ground signal (-) that the coils get from the Digiplex unit.
The red wires are the 12V connections. What you see in this simplified picture is one red wire which connects both coils. The second red wire on the first coil is the 12V feed (running via the ignition switch).
What you do is cut this wire at a suitable point and implement the relay.
A 10A fuse will be fine.
Attachments
P906 wiring diagram colour.jpg
P906 wiring diagram colour.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 10273 times
A 9ASO

Post by A 9ASO »

Thanks a lot for the reply.
I thought that this was the case but the more I looked at the wiring diagram with its changing colours and the different descriptions of methods used the more confused I became.
Thanks again.

PS.
I have got some relays with fuses built in and they should make for a neater installation.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I gotta say that when looking at ducati wiring diagrams some confusion is to be expected . There are a lot of ways to do this mod , I have opted to power both the coils and the digiplex off the same relay ( relay is switched from the kill switch ) . Fused relays are a tidy unit but I think they are best if they are close to the power supply , I cant see the sense in running a unfused power wire from one end of a vehicle to the other and then sticking a fuse on it , Fuses should be fitted as close to the supply as possible but I needed to replace the fuzebox anyway ( and I already had them in a box somewhere ) so there they are :)
. The other relay is the main relay , and there are 2 more up the front for the lights :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
A 9ASO

Post by A 9ASO »

Thanks Mc tool,
It looks a really neat installation.
I'm glad that its not just me finding the wiring, diagram and loom, as being confusing.
It sounds a good idea to use the kill switch.
I agree about the positioning of the fuse totally.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Wiring diagrams get easier with a bit of practice , and soon you will be wondering what all the fuss was about . Wires do change colour sometimes and they do dumb things , look at P750's diagram and see that the power wire ( R ) that joins coil 29 to coil 30 . .. even tho the 2 coils are physically only 6" apart this power wire does a whole lap of the bike , goes thru a plug and arrives back where it started :?: :?: .
Another good mod is to fit relays to the headlights and there is a kit available to boost starting power that contains new cables
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

for everyone who looses the overview this is the wiring plan reduced to the very basic circuits of starter & ignition.
As can be seen the fuses two and three are fed by the first fuse so almost all current required by the bikes` electrics runs via the ignition switch. (No idea Hamish how your electrics works with only two 7,5A fuses :) ).
The ECU gets its 12V via the kill switch, fuse two and the ignition switch.

The simplest way of the coil wiring mod (same as posted above)

Another possibility which will also stabilize the voltage at the ECU

Bypassing then ignition swich can improve the whole electrical system (it also removes the complete electrical load from the ignition switch). This option will require proper sized wires.

No need to say there`re other possibilities as well.

I`m repeating myself when saying it`s important to check the regulator/rectifier before any relay mod.
A faulty reg/rect can put out over 16V which after a relay mod will get directly to the bulbs, coils, Ecu etc. which can have consequences. This is the only situation in which the original wiring with its voltage drops could actually be an advantage as it may prevent any possible damages.
Wires do change colour sometimes...
Like the wire to the horn that according to the wiring plan starts as orange-red but gets to the horn as grey while there`s no connector in the drawing :lol:

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Cool diagrams G , I have some "office 13 " thing that is supposed to be able to do that.
Any how , I sorta got a bit "enthusiastic" and stripped the whole harness , removed some wires and added and moved some others , relocated the fuse box and the solenoid. The fuse box contains fuses for the headlight relays , the charging system , the cooling fan, and a feed to the ignition switch which now only switches the main relay and the park lights . And yes G , those fuses were the only ones I had left after the ( incorrectly wired relay ...... ya gotta watch that ... pins in the same place but wired different inside ) small glitch , and were there mostly to complete the circuts so I could test em . The red heat shrink cable comes from the battery feeds all the fuses and then comes down the side of the digiplex to feed the main and ignition relays . Next job is to sort the charging system .... works ok but some one has bodgied a Honda ( I think ) reg/rect in there and there are spare wires and lots of joins , AND the battery always seemed to get thru a bit of water ( and didn't last long ) so I think I will get me the proper after market one :)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I found this pic recently and think it explains the basic issue very well :)
Attachments
ohms-law-illustrated.gif
ohms-law-illustrated.gif (68.84 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

paso750 wrote:I found this pic recently and think it explains the basic issue very well :)
I like that :lol:
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Italy has historically, like the old Germans had the worst electrical diagrams on the planet, It took the Japs to sort it out in plain english which by the way is a totally backwords language to most cultures on the planet earth

btw G's Illustration in symbolic language is V=I/R It truly is simple

NO MATTER HOW MANY VOLTS YOU HAVE, THE CONDITION OF THE WIRES, SIZE,SHAPE AND CORROSION WILL LIMIT THE AMPS DELIVERED TO DO THE WORK

SO NO MATTER HOW MUCH MANAGEMENT WANTS THE WORK TO BE COMPLETED,(VOLTS) LIFE(RESISTANCE) WILL ALWAYS CHOKE THE ACTUAL WORK COMPLETED(AMPS)
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

the strange thing is Italy was never known for good electrics but they do really well in electronics.