Paso rebuild after accident

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
romus
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Paso rebuild after accident

Post by romus »

Here are some pics of my Paso rebuild. It was either part it out :,( after my accident or rebuild :truck: . About 6K :wacko: on e-bay and 6 months of tender loving care :) and some :banghead: and this is what you get. :beer: While I was at it I added two new pistons and a wiring harness, and new mufflers. (Yes if you notice I already had done a 17 inch wheel upgrade). Of course I have left off the fairings here to show the work off :beer:

Warwick - on a learning curve and on a
Ducati Paso - Soul of a thoroughbred :P
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Paso rebuild after accident

Post by jcslocum »

Terrific!!!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

6K would have easily gotten you a used Paso (even a 907ie) here. It is looking really good ! I just would have made different front caliper adapters. Imho they don`t match the rest of the bike.
Are you missing the chain slider on the centerstand ?

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Looks great. How do you like the 17" wheels and bigger brakes? I like the front calipers. Maybe the brackets just need to be black, so they don't stand out so much.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Mr. G. is right,
6k is a lot of money and you could get two bikes for, keeping your bike for spare parts...
However, I'm happy you have saved a bike from the wrecker.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
romus

Post by romus »

persempre907 wrote:Mr. G. is right,
6k is a lot of money and you could get two bikes for, keeping your bike for spare parts...
However, I'm happy you have saved a bike from the wrecker.
Ciao
Yes, In hindsight, I almost agree I could have got another one and rebuilt that way.

It became 6K by some extras I hadn't originally count on (wiring loom, new pistons, I didn't notice the hole I'd scraped into the muffler, needed new back tyre anyway. So I was thinking 4.5 - 5K and if I bought another bike I'd have been paying more maybe with some inbuilt issues to sort out like electrics and I figured I would be waiting for a long time for something to come up in my state e.g. There is a 906 for sale here in Australia now for 6.5K, but it's on the other side of the country! Or I buy a 907ie but then I would have had to pay more here according to my original maths. There is one here for sale now for 8k (44,000km) but that is still two states away from me. I still wouldn't have wanted to have put out that extra few thousand. Just after I'd accumulated about 2K of parts there was a broken down 750 that went for 4K. So, I'd figured the best option would just be to fix it and then once under way I couldn't resist new pistons and wiring loom :).

The advantage is I know it now inside out and it should be super reliable for some time. Also let's not get too logical. Don't forget the emotional factor. I crashed my bike :mad: and I felt sad about that :( . I also felt for a while to just give it up for a while and buy a car (what a thought!) I cared about my 906 like it is a person with all that blood sweat and tears I had already put into it and I wanted to fix my duke up. I am married but my wife says it's my mistress - how could you break down a mistress? She'd never be the same!
Last edited by romus on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
romus

Post by romus »

ducinthebay wrote:Looks great. How do you like the 17" wheels and bigger brakes? I like the front calipers. Maybe the brackets just need to be black, so they don't stand out so much.

Cheers, Phil
yeah Paso750 makes the same point about the brackets. I got them some a few years ago when I converted to 17". Yes, I'll think about painting them. The 17" improves steering, definitely and yes the brakes also improve the braking noticeably, maybe 30%.
romus

Post by romus »

paso750 wrote:6K would have easily gotten you a used Paso (even a 907ie) here. It is looking really good ! I just would have made different front caliper adapters. Imho they don`t match the rest of the bike.
Are you missing the chain slider on the centerstand ?

G.
Yes, good point, I think I will paint them.

I never realised about the chain slider. Hmm, this one http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Assortimento ... anguage=it. I think I never had one.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

there should be two, one on the center stand and one on the frame