Breaking down 906

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
GJB
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Breaking down 906

Post by GJB »

G'day guys, I'm hoping for some guidance, just got my 906 paso, it has been sitting for about 4 years, I've done usual filters brakes fluids ect ect. Had issues with reg rect have replaced it with a 5 wire version, now charging beautifully. Now to my problem this has happened twice now and just today after going for 10 mins the bike when it gets to 3,500 rpm's it's starts breaking down,(sounds like revving a bike with a rev limiter) back fires pops ,if I back off under 3,500 rpm it's fine again ,if I hold it over the 3,500 it will eventually just stop. Anybody had or heard of this problem ?....
Cheers Greg.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Breaking down 906

Post by higgy »

could be a fuel supply issue or an electrical issue.Could even be the secondary ignition wires.

Think I'd start with the fuel supply and make sure there are no restrictions, tank,filter et.c.

next I'd check the electrical connections and grounds may be do the wiring upgrade found in the FAQ making sure you have the proper voltage supplied to the coils
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
GJB

Post by GJB »

Thanks higgy, that's the road I'm trying to take now, your fuel pump does it constantly tick or does it stop eventually ,mine seems to tick or pulse constantly, I'm wondering if fuel pump is struggling, possibly clogged up with dirty old fuel from sitting for so long.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

did you drain the old fuel from the gas tank and clean the filter of the fuel tap? Also did you clean the carb and balance it ? There could be some residue from dried fuel in the carb or a dirty float needle or seat.
Also is your bike original (carb, airbox, filter & exhaust) and did the problems occur when the bike was fully assembled or were you testing i.e. while running it w/o airbox ?

G.
GJB

Post by GJB »

G'day G, didn't drain fuel it did got started once a week for 10-15 mins, just never got ridden for 4 odd years, I will drain fuel and check filter on tap, jets seemed clean when I checked today,didn't balance the carb but will be done and going to hit it with carby cleaner tomorrow. It's still running original weber air box and filter but has staintune exhausts on it. Bike was all together when it started breaking down it goes great for the first 10 odd minutes then it gets its problem when it gets to operating temp. I'm going to clean fuel pump also in case there is crap in it and it's sticky inside so no performing at max to fill float bowl..
Cheers Greg.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

906 ?? Are you sure you have a pump?
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

906 with the Weber had an electric pump Steve
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
GJB

Post by GJB »

Yeah has a pump mate, going to clean today the check the flow on it, I gather it won't run a lot of pressure but it maybe so full of gunk it can't keep up with revs and carby ect ect
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Thank you....... typical 907 owner :banghead:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

Starts fine then once warm develops a misfire? I think its our old friend - the faulty ignition sensor! (left side of crank)
GJB

Post by GJB »

G'day mate, you have come across this before ? And yes can ride for 10 15 mins and then once it's got to a nice temp it then misfires badly and if I hold throttle at the 3500 rpm's where it's misfiring it then just shuts down. It looks like its been changed before I bought it ( seems very new a shinny. )possibly wrong one ? Or just a dud dunno.
Ill watch the YouTube flick and get back to you
Cheers Greg.
GJB

Post by GJB »

G'day guys, well what a total cluster f#%k, while I've been trying to sort out the misfire issue I've had tank off airbox etc etc and I replaced all fuel lines while it was apart, pull out crank sensor all looked good checked with ohms meter and running magnet over it and yep all ok, checked plug leed resistance and again all ok.. So I'm thinking maybe didgiplex unit but after talks with people here in oz they say if its buggered it just won't run. So I went back to basics and looked over whole fuel system after I did all the lines.when I had bike apart when I first bought it we had it stripped down ( fairings tank blah blah) and when putting back together a mate was helping me hook fuel lines back on while I was holding tank and basically the return fuel line from pump was hooked up to the vapour port,and visa versa. My mate hooking it up thought that when it said overflow fuel he thought it meant overflow when filling the bike up. So I ran bike for good 20 mins tonight up and down with revs holding at certain point got it nice and hot and didn't miss a beat. So it'll go back together tomorrow for its first on the road test.
Thanks all for the advice and if his ever comes up again at least we know of a simple thing to look for.... Ill post news tomorrow.
Cheers Greg.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :,( :beer: :beer:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
GJB

Post by GJB »

Nope wasn't that...... But I've found in the fuel line at the t piece there is a restrictor that goes back to the tank, well this has been popping out out t piece where it's supposed to seat and working its way down the fuel line and cocking itself side ways, I've tinkered with it so it shouldn't move and test again sometime today, I hope this is the problem it could be due to letting too much fuel to the tank and not being able to fill fuel bowl up ( or basically fuel bowl running empty ) fingers crossed will post results tonight...... My 906 is doing my head it I JUST WANNA GO FOR A RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!
GJB

Post by GJB »

Call out to all 906 owners with original weber carby could someone please have a look and tell where the breather pipe ( fuel vapour pipe ) from the fuel tank goes to. The sticker on my tank says its supposed to go to the canister, in workshop manuals there is a reference to it also. Mine just hangs down the side of bike not connected to anything is this right ?.