Braided brake line problem

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Re: Braided brake line problem

Post by bmw851 »

Hey Giscard,

I used the copper washers on the M/C line into and the lines out from the splitter, don't have the bike any longer to go take pictures for you, sorry.

You simply shouldn't be having this much trouble with it, which is an understatement, given how long ago you bought the kit makes it difficult, personally I'd just take the original line into a custom brake shop and have one made up then and there and be done with it, and get your bike back on the road, most performance brake places will have everything there ready to make.

As you know from talking to Venhill, going this way does come at a premium price.

I've done this with other bike's, rung the brake shop beforehand to tee it up and taken the old lines in and had them made on the spot, and did intend to do the same thing with the Sport until Moto Italia here suggested the HEL lines as a kit.

And I'm paranoid about brake systems weeping or leaking and always buy extra crush washers for just in case.

Good luck with it and hope it gets sorted soon.

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Giscard, it would be interesting to know if you really have the same end pieces on both sides of the brake lines.
My MQ brake lines (can`t remember where I got them as that was many years ago and they probably aren`t available anymore) have a short end piece on one end and a long one on the other (like the one on the last pic on the right)

This is the original Paso brake line next to a HEL for a 851 (which has a splitter, too). As far as I know usually brakes have either the left type end piece + a washer or the right type without one (on the caliper both types work). Not sure about the center concave end piece :?
Attachments
DSCF0095_zpszmyvcmhf.jpg
DSCF0095_zpszmyvcmhf.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
DSCF0098_zpsulsvhca6.jpg
DSCF0098_zpsulsvhca6.jpg (38.99 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
DSCF0103_zpskgddpp8c.jpg
DSCF0103_zpskgddpp8c.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

rung the brake shop beforehand to tee it up and taken the old lines in and had them made on the spot
+1 any hydralic shop can most likely fix/make what you need for cheap
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Giscard »

Paso 750 thanks for all of those pictures. The one showing the lines into the splitter are exactly how I envisaged mine looking.
The bike is in France and I will be back there early May so I will measure the fittings to see if they are the same length at both ends when I get there. I can also measure the depth of thread of the splitter and I will email the details to Goodrige and Venhill as they both are very helpful. Unfortunately it is not as easy to get bits made in France unlike the UK, but I will see if I can identify someone who can modify the existing lines. I am sure with the help of you guys we will get there in the end.
Goodridge glow in the dark brake lines very cool but I would just be happy in getting some lines to fit. :)
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Not sure about the center concave end piece :?
The centre one is for connecting directly to a hard pipe.
Attachments
DSCF0103_zpskgddpp8c.jpg
DSCF0103_zpskgddpp8c.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Now that I am back in France I am able to measure the length of the fittings that Cobra supplied as correct for the Paso. The fittings that go into the line splitter and the brake disc are exactly the same and look just like the fitting in the middle of the picture from paso750. The length of the fitting is the same at both ends and is 18mm. If I was using a copper washer on the fitting into the line splitter I would have thought it should be a maximum of 14mm.
I think I will now email Venhill and Goodridge with the information I now have to see what length their fittings are.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

After being totally disappointed with the Cobra brakelines which rely on the line sealing inside the line splitter on some non existent flat face, I bought a set from Venhill. A bit more expensive but it works a treat and it does not leave a chunk of thread showing either at the line splitter or the caliper. It has the added bonus that there are no leaks. Good old copper washers.
I have tried to attach a picture showing the Venhill one on the left and the Cobra one on the right.
DSC05619_zps440v4fyx.jpg
DSC05619_zps440v4fyx.jpg (234.07 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
You pay your money and you get what you pay for. Personally I would advise anyone contemplating changing lines to avoid Cobra or Hel as the Cobra is apparently copied from the Hel one and Cobra kept insisting that there lines were fine and nobody else had complained. C'est la vie.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Do you have a picture of the inside of the splitter? The thread showing would be ok if the sealing surface in the splitter was conical and the bolt was too.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Not one that you can see clearly. But you can imagine if it is drilled from one end for the line from the master cylinder there is a reaonable chance that when the holes for the lines to the caliper are drilled the mating face because of the master cylinder drilling is always going to be curved and that's what it looked like to me.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Glad too read the problem is solved finally :beer:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Thanks Peter, so am I.
I may send the picture of the Venhill lines and the Cobra line to the Cobra distributor, however they are just distributors and have been told that the problem is at my end and therefore are not really interested.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

post a picture here
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Sorry to confuse Paso750. I mean the picture that I posted on May 25 above.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I`d be curious to see a full picture of your brake lines.