Braided brake line problem

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Giscard
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Braided brake line problem

Post by Giscard »

Has anyone bought a set of braided brake lines for the 906 Paso. I am talking about the OEM set up with the 3 brake lines, ie one from the master cylinder to the splitter and 2 lines going from the splitter to the discs. Having bought them did they fit and remain fluid tight without modification. If so can you remember the format of the fixing of the lines to the line splitter, ie the ones that then go to the discs. The reason why I ask is that I have bought a kit from a company called Cobra and I am struggling to get the fittings from the splitter to stop weeping.
In hindsight I probably should have ditched the splitter and went for a two line set up but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
What I am after is to find someone that knows that a OEM set up will fit straight from the box, be it Goodrich, Venhill or Hel performance.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Braided brake line problem

Post by paso750 »

W/o the splitter you`d lose the brake light switch and would need one at the master cylinder.
I have a set of MQ (MotoQuality/Brembo) 3 piece brake lines and they are fine. Did you replace all copper washers and tightened the lines correctly?
My brake lines have the screw-in end pieces. Fix on one side and a turning one to connect it to the calipers.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

Yes I replaced all the copper washers. The problem with the Cobra set up (in my opinion) is that they believe that copper washers are not needed at the splitter and feel that there is an internal (conical) seat in the splitter like there is in the calipers, which there is not. Two companies that sell splitters have agreed that a copper washer is needed at the splitter for the lines to the discs and this is confirmed by the manual.
The Cobra set up uses the same length male end for the calipers as the splitter, which is too long to fit a copper washer on. If the end that connected to the splitter was a banjo fitting that at least would have worked, although may not be ideal.

Unfortunately Cobra say they manufacture theirs under licence to Hel and they have sold lots of lines and to date nobody has complained and seem to be ignoring the evidence from the companies that sell replacement splitters. Unfortunately I bought these a year ago and have only just got around to seeing the problem. I am "happy" to throw these in the bin but want to be certain that the "replacements" I order have not used the same design.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I went with the Venhill and ditched the splitter. Got a microswitch from Bevel Heaven to keep the brakelight on my 906.
Attachments
0421150608a_zpslmsr1wxy.jpg
0421150608a_zpslmsr1wxy.jpg (215.8 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

That is another option Higgy, but I was hoping that if these companies are selling a product it would be fit for purpose. I just hope that someone on here will have been successful with the standard OEM format and can enlighten me.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

:drunk: I feel you,always check here first
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Cant you just cut that male thread so it doesn't bottom in the hole and then tighten it down on the copper washer ?, you shouldn't have to if the kit is supposed to fit , but I wouldn't be surprized if the kit is " about right " for different models :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

I think cutting it is worth a try, before I throw it in the bin. It is just a pain bleeding the system if it doesn't work. Indeed I spoke to the people from Goodrich yesterday and they suggested exactly the same thing. Venhill have been the most clued in so far as they said immediately that it needs a copper washer on the line splitter and that the length of their fitting which has an adaptor is only about 10mm which I think should be fine. They were also able to quote the length of all the lines and the angle of the banjo's and the length of the male fittings. Of course they are the most expensive :-(
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Mmmmm , bleeding , maybe after cutting to length you could countersink the hole to remove the "step" so there was no corner for bubbles to hide/lodge themselves.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
PasoRoo
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by PasoRoo »

The fitting of my HEL braided lines was a bit hit and miss as well. For some reason one of the lines from the splitter to the caliper has a twist in it and I have never been able to make it sit quite right. Mailed HEL to ask about this but never got a reply... :(

Mike
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

That's interesting PasoRoo. Did the lines from the line splitter to the discs have copper washers fitted and did the fittings screw in far enough into the line splitter to compress them.
I have been told by the Cobra people that they have sold "hundreds" to Australia (manufactured under licence to Hel) and they have had no complaints. Easy to say if you do not answer your emails I suppose :)
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

big thumbs down to HEL
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Giscard wrote:That's interesting PasoRoo. Did the lines from the line splitter to the discs have copper washers fitted and did the fittings screw in far enough into the line splitter to compress them.
I have been told by the Cobra people that they have sold "hundreds" to Australia (manufactured under licence to Hel) and they have had no complaints. Easy to say if you do not answer your emails I suppose :)
Fitted a set of HEL lines to my Sport that came as a kit, which would you'd think be the same kit for the 750 Paso, had no drama's at all, they came with copper washers in the kit, no problems with the splitter.

Sounds like you ended up with the wrong line in your kit, bugger. :banghead:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

BMW 851, This gets more confusing by the second. I have had feedback from someone at Hel and they say the line splitter does not need gaskets which is contrary to what the suppliers of line splitters are saying. Just to clarify did all the fittings to the splitter require copper washers.
Last edited by Giscard on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

paso750 wrote:W/o the splitter you`d lose the brake light switch and would need one at the master cylinder.
I have a set of MQ (MotoQuality/Brembo) 3 piece brake lines and they are fine. Did you replace all copper washers and tightened the lines correctly?
My brake lines have the screw-in end pieces. Fix on one side and a turning one to connect it to the calipers.
Paso 750 who supplied your brake lines and did the connections at the splitter have copper gaskets?