906 cutting out

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

906 cutting out

Post by a330us »

Hello, was messing around with my new to me 906 the other day and noticed that it starts and idles nicely and revs ok but it will shut off when I operate any switch on the left handlebar. I put a new battery in, not as bad but still same result. So do I have a short somewhere that kills power to the coils or ignition? Anyone ever had this problem before? I can't really get into it for a few days but was just wondering if someone else has had this problem. Thanks Arch.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: 906 cutting out

Post by higgy »

now thats almost funny
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
a330us

Post by a330us »

now thats almost funny
?????. Arch
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Probly one of the most complained about Paso traits . Whats most likely happening is that you have a bad connection in the power supply ( to most of the bike ) and while idling its ok but switch on a light and the bad connection wont allow enough power to flow and the supply voltage drops and then the electronic ignition wont operate and the bike stops . There are numerous posts re the modification of Paso wiring ( basically fitting a relay ) which will improve things out of sight :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

As Mctool explained that has to be among the most talked about issues here over the years.
The fix can be elusive, the more time you spend checking and repairing the less trouble you will have

where to start ?

Read the FAQ's 1st. this is a good one to read https://app.box.com/s/xzkocz2e7zcomsg40t7f
The 750 FAQ has the most detailed info and is very relevant

Check every single ground and connector and clean them or redo them and dielectric compounds will help prevent further issues down the road
and remember
Ducati , rendendo la meccanica di piloti dal 1946
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Giscard

Post by Giscard »

I had a similar problem. The bike used to cut out if I pressed the horn or operated the brakes. For me the worst one was when I indicated to go around a roundabout and it faltered every time the indicator flashed. I cleaned all the connectors up but got the biggest improvement by fitting relays, which is also described in this forum. Good luck.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Don't be daunted by the prospect of having to fiddle with wires . Ducati have made it more complicated than it needs to be , and , all the current used by the bike is switched thru the main ign switch. Basically you remove a couple of wires and fit a main relay ( standard on most sensible applications ). I have 4 relays ( possibly a bit of overkill ......which is underrated :D ) one eack for hi & low beam , one for the digiplex and coils and one for the main relay
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
a330us

Post by a330us »

Thanks for the replies. I have read all thr FAQ's and have read all the posts from day one on all the models and know that our bikes have lots of electrical problems but at the time just either didn't know enough or don't remember reading about that specific problem. Now I've got someplace to start at least. I just started working on Duc''s less than two years ago and much different than the BMW's that I spent 30 years on. I don't really like working with electrics but it appears that I better start trying to figure it out! Thanks Arch.