Hello all, new member here.....looking for some direction.

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
FasYankee
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Hello all, new member here.....looking for some direction.

Post by FasYankee »

Hey all, chalk this up as an introductory post, with a dash of hope to tap into those experiences with these machines. I've been around bikes all my life since I was 4, so approximately 40 yrs but have never owned a Ducati. I've ridden a few, but never an owner. I have experience racing motocross at the club level, raced sportbikes, also club level, and owned pretty much everything from hard-tailed farm tractors (i.e. Harley) to a built '06 R1 with a little over 180hp at the rear wheel. Most recently I've removed myself from the sportbike genre and gone the supermoto route, with a '00 Yam WR400, and a Husqvarna SMS630 in the stable, as well as an '85 interceptor that's actually a project of mine, it's been converted to a scrambler of sorts, with lots of custom bits (hand built 4-4 exhaust, custom machined top clamp/MX bars, dirt track style seat, enduro tires, bla, bla). There also a YSR50 somewhere in the shed with a TTR225 motor in it.....and yeah it's street legal!

Other than that I'm a cop in a pretty large town, have 5 kids.....4 of which ride, and a wife who absolutely hates my passion for everything two-wheels related :shock:

What am I doing here you wonder? My uncle called me the other day and says he's moving and wonders if I'm interested in his Ducati.....I rode it years ago, but couldn't remember what it was....couple games of phone-tag later and he gives me the skinny on the steed: it's a 1990 Paso 906.

Details on the bike: its 100% complete, has an aftermarket exhaust (not sure of the make), he got it with 3k on the clock, and is currently reading at 11k, it's never been down, but it also hasn't run in @8yrs. It was stored outside under a cover. He stopped riding it when he bought his Harley, and except for me taking a spin on it its been pretty much neglected.

Now here's the conundrum....he wants me to offer him something for the bike, but won't give me an idea what he wants for it. I looked up the value in the KBB, excellent condition is @$2700, fair trade in "good" condition is @$1500. He sent me pictures, the bodywork is immaculate, the front rotors have patina'ed to a sweet orange (rust) hue. Other than that it's pretty much unremarkable. Now I'm no rookie when it comes to resurrecting neglected barn-finds, and I'm aware of how pretty much everything that is rubber related will need to be replaced, all the bearings will need inspection/cleaning/re-packing or replacement, shock service, forks serviced, obviously the carb will need attention (I'm pretty confident its the stock weber), tires, brakes/hoses, etc, etc.

I'm wondering what other Ducati-specific things I should be considering before actually making an offer. I don't want to insult him with a low-ball, but based on my admittedly in-experienced level of information and the basic estimate of what it's going to cost to bring this thing up to what I consider rideable (I don't cut corners, *unless it's the last lap!), I was figuring offering him @$1000 for it.....

In the ballpark? Am I nuts for wanting to resurrect a 25yo Italian sport-tourer? Think he'll stop coming to he family bar-b-q's?

Like I said, don't want to insult him, he's my favorite uncle!
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Hello all, new member here.....looking for some directio

Post by higgy »

IF ITS RUNNING AND ALL THERE 2K IS FAIR :truck: and count down from there for any thing less than ready to go
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
FasYankee

Post by FasYankee »

Yeah, it's not running at the moment. He said he had a mechanic friend (?) look at it who said it would take @$8-900 to get it running....now running is one thing, what I will give a pass as to ready to ride is another. I've witnessed plenty of bikes on the road that people got "running" that I would never risk throwing a leg over.
FasYankee

Post by FasYankee »

Is there an online (reliable) source for parts for the Paso? I want to research what a parts layout would cost for the resto. Also I read somewhere (ADV rider?) that its recommended to swap the single weber for a twin mikuni setup from a newer model? Any info on the particulars regarding that would be helpful.....thanks in advance!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

we`ve seen project Pasos sell for as low as $8-900 mostly P750s though. 906s have a slightly higher value. I`d think 1.5-2K would be fair for such a low milage bike but it really depends on how much the condition deteriorated while being stored outside. You should surely look at the bike in person and not rely on pictures. You wouldn`t see if there`s rust on the frame or inside the tank or pitting on the stanchion tubes.
If you calculate a set of new tires, new cam belts, new chain, Weber rebuild, battery, some bearings and all the work that you`d have to put into it I`m not sure that $800 will be enough to get it sound, reliable and roadworthy. There are always unexpected costs.
I`d offer 1.2-1.5 considering all this. You should get it for that if you`re his favorite nephew ;)

You can get the Weber to work. First would be a pressure regulator or even better get rid of the electric fuel pump and replace it with a vacuum fuel pump. If you`d still want to go the Mikuni route check the P750 FAQs.

If you just want to make a list of prices check Stein Dinse. They have an online parts catalogue.
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/inde ... =ggg&lg=en

I wouldn`t order parts there though as international shipping is expensive and you`ll find all parts in the US as well.

Currency converter
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

G.
FasYankee

Post by FasYankee »

Here's pictures from two days ago:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Ebay is your best bet for most parts here in the US. Bevel Heaven and California Cycle Works can help with some,belts odd ball electrical items and such. Ed Miltch at Ducpower still gets some Paso's in from time to time and can be quite reasonable once he gets to know you.
BTW those are not aftermarket exhaust, they are Paso but from a 907, may have been a very late production 906( G, every seen them on a 906 ?)

The rotors may be OK, get yourself some scotchbrite remove the rust and then measure the thickness and runout.They are ductile iron and breathing on them makes them rust :fart:

The Weber if put away properly may only need fuel. Being a cop I know you have a good flashlight :choo: look inside the tank for rust, if its clean put a gallon or 2 of fuel in it and see if you have any leaks or obvious fuel smell.
If you smell fuel it could be a stuck float or a cracked tank either of which is easily remedied, keep in mind there is a fuel shutoff valve under the left side panel you may need to open(or close if you smell fuel)

Gonna need tires 300 you can check the sidewalls for cracking but still I wouldn't ride far or fast on old tires( well I would but that's another story), gonna need belts and maybe plugs,fuel lines and such.
I see battery acid on the swingarm so all the grounds need to be cleaned and a new AGM battery, cheap at batteries plus if you have one nearby.

The biggest issue with these bikes is the electrics as is the case on any old bike. You will most likely need to take every single ground and connector and give them a good clean and seal. A modern regulator will also help avoid future issues like the Shindengen SH775 Series R/R($150) The relay mod will also go a long way towards preserving hard to get parts like the ignition switch and a few other hard to get parts

Like you I had ridden more than a few Ducs in my day, I had a 750GT back in the mid 70's and it is still one of my favorite bikes, if I'd only kept it :banghead: . I bought a 906 a few years back and now have one of each, 750,906 and 907. I enjoy the 906 the most although the 907 has become my daily rider mostly because I use it as my test bedto get things sorted and reliable to a T

Where in the US are you ?

BTW it wouldn't be the first bike to startup after 8 years with a new battery and fresh fuel, do your self a favor and trailer it home and check it out first, May take a while but it is well worth the effort to do it proper and everything you need to know is here :beer:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
a330us
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Welcome, you'll enjoy this forum. Picture wise it looks like a nice bike and assuming the gas tank is clean inside
i think 1500 would be a good buy. Even if you had to put another 1500 in it I think you would be fine. Remember they only brought 350 total bikes over, 250 in red and 100 in blue and as a bonus it's got the euro tail light on it. Arch.
FasYankee

Post by FasYankee »

Hey guys thanks for the good info! I'm in CT. I thought the bike was stored outside based on the pics he sent me, but i talked with him today and he'd just put it outside last week under the cover to make room so he could organize (getting ready to move). It's been garaged this whole time. The rust on the rotors is possibly from the last week? I was wondering what the stain on the swingarm was.....makes sense if that's under where the battery is located. I'm on a local forum here in CT, I mentioned the bike in a thread there and that's how I got directed here. Funny thing is that they're telling me to not bother with the bike, explaining that it was by far the worst Ducati as far as reliability goes.....but I'm stubborn and always root for the underdog.....so if the bike ends up in my possession I'm sure I'll be here for tips!

Thanks again for all the helpful replies, I'll update as the story continues. :beer:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

BTW those are not aftermarket exhaust, they are Paso but from a 907, may have been a very late production 906( G, every seen them on a 906 ?)
I`ve seen those on P750s, too and also wondered if they ever came with those from the factory or if the "cigars" were just replaced by them by the owner. Maybe it also depended on the market. Don`t know.
The cans on this 906 have a lot of printing on them which imho would indicate that they are from a US bike.

Aren`t battery acid marks usually on the right swingarm side?
Funny thing is that they're telling me to not bother with the bike, explaining that it was by far the worst Ducati as far as reliability goes
Ask if any of them saying that actually owned one for a longer time or if its just hearsay. I`d be curious to know. The only problem is the 80s italian electrics. Sort that and you`ll be fine.
.....but I'm stubborn and always root for the underdog
you`re in good company here :beer:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

they're telling me to not bother with the bike, explaining that it was by far the worst Ducati as far as reliability goes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not even close, hence my tagline Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946

I once had an 84 interceptor

It's the electrics, mechanically the bikes are very simple and the electrics are not hard to make reliable
Lookup the relay mod and make sure the leads and connectors from the stator to the regulator are in good shape and check those grounds. Did I mention check the grounds :truck:

If you've been racing you have the skills. Tires in the past had been an issue but are now around...Shinko makes a set. Brakes will be much better with the addition of braided steel lines Venhill makes a very good set and there are others

you`re in good company here :beer:
+++ :thumbup:

Aren`t battery acid marks usually on the right swingarm side?
depends on what battery was installed, ground on the right or ground on the left,could be either way
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

FasYankee wrote:explaining that it was by far the worst Ducati as far as reliability goes
That's just a rumour we started to keep dickheads off them :D
Welcome to the circus :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
FasYankee

Post by FasYankee »

Yahtzee, going to get it this week/next week depending on scheduling!

Wife is pissed!

Her: You already have 4 damn bikes in the garage!
Me: Well, I gave you 5 kids didn't I? Now we're even.
Her: How many bikes do you need with only one ass?
Me: 1 more than I'll ever own!

Meh....the couch is comfy..... :truck:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

:thumbup: :beer: MBDS(Multiple Bike Disorder Syndrome)
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
nickta

Post by nickta »

FasYankee wrote:Yahtzee, going to get it this week/next week depending on scheduling!

Wife is pissed!

Her: You already have 4 damn bikes in the garage!
Me: Well, I gave you 5 kids didn't I? Now we're even.
Her: How many bikes do you need with only one ass?
Me: 1 more than I'll ever own!

Meh....the couch is comfy..... :truck:
Ah, you are not the first, and certainly won't be the last to end up in more strife than Flash Gordon over a Paso!

Start looking now for that bunk/bed at Garage sales or waiting for hard rubbish pick up. They usually fit in the corner of a shed/garage nicely, and are so much better than a couch to sleep on.

Welcome to the forum and ownership of a Paso.

Cheers.

Nick.