Indicator lenses again!

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Indicator lenses again!

Post by Kmamac »

Hi looking back this comes up regularly. Just picked up a 906 paso after owning one 26 years ago. Bodywork is really good. However, it needs both indicator lenses. Picked up a right via the eBay quick links on this site. Mdinaitalia stein dense gowanlock are out of stock. eBay has come up with nothing. Any more leads? In the Uk I will need to have a test to get it back on the road so the lense could stop this. I know car testers are fussy about cracked lenses not so sure how fussy the bike testers are. If they are I REALY need one.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Keith mm SE London
Kmamac

Re: Indicator lenses again!

Post by Kmamac »

New old stock left hand mirror and indicator lense on US eBay. Far more than I'm willing to pay ( they want 250 dollars! About £180 !!!!!!!) and I only need the lens - hence I'm bringing to everyone's attention.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-750-Pa ... Sw6n5XvyQQ
Maybe if your whole LHs mirror assembly is smashed then it may make some sense!
Best regards
Keith mm in a very sunny SE london
Bluey
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Bluey »

Pricey!

I'm actually playing with a mold of my current lenses in an attempt to make some spares. Getting the colour to be a good match and the lense free of bubbles is tough so just mucking about with a vacuum chamber at the moment. There's been some discussion about UV stability too.

Once i get another free day I'll try to make some worth taking pictures of.
Frank.61
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Frank.61 »

Hi,

Since I'm restoring my Paso 750 I needed a new righthand mirror.
As known they are, very, difficult to find and expensive, so for the time being I decided to get me a pair of FAR replica's (actually they are the original Cagiva Freccia C10/C12 mirrors used in 1988).
If, sorry, when, ;) mine is restored I will try to find me a nice righthand original (+ a new glass for the lefthand mirror).

I contacted FAR (in English) and asked them to send me a couple of mirrors incl. a set of extra (spare) lenses.
They contacted their supplier in Belgium who contacted me and ordered the above asked parts.
For the spare lenses I have paid less then € 6 per piece ($ 7)!
These are the same (also same partnumbers) as the, damaged, original lenses.

You can get from Stein-Dinse (Germany) also the lenses BUT including the reflector and as such they are much more expensive then just the lenses (also they are sometimes available and they are sometimes not ....).

So I suggest: contact FAR in Italy (export@far.it) and ask them the supplier/importer for your country/area.
Mine were supplied through my local Suzuki dealer without extra cost for delivery.

Hope this helped you (keep me informed about the results or if something was not clear in my explanation).

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
Spaggy
year: 1988

Post by Spaggy »

I was also looking for some new mirrors to complete a re-spray and tidy-up, and found these on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rear-view-moto ... B01E91S6H4
Definitely worth a look but I don't know how many they have left. I grabbed a pair while I could.
Spaggy - Half man, Half machine, Half-arsed Half-wit!
Frank.61

Post by Frank.61 »

Those are the "replica's" from FAR (the ones originally made for the Cagiva Freccia C10/C12 - also a Tamburini design).
They are still made in Italy.
Try to order a pair of spare indicator lenses from them while you buy them (the factory will supply them if asked at a reasonable price - see my previous post). :phone:
Do realize these are mounted with studs, so you will have to drill 3 - small - holes in your fairing.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Frank
Attachments
Mine
Mine
image.jpeg (152.82 KiB) Viewed 12026 times
1989 Cagiva Freccia C10, 125 cc two stroke
1989 Cagiva Freccia C10, 125 cc two stroke
image.jpeg (200.37 KiB) Viewed 12026 times
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Spaggy

Post by Spaggy »

Thanks for the additional info Frank.
I bought a pair anyway, though I was unable to connect the seller (ergon.commerce) with FAR.
Still, at £100 for the pair, delivered, as against anything from £120-£160 EACH for genuine but second hand ones from e-Bay it makes them a good bet. I paid £100 for three spare indicator lenses recently, and came to the conclusion that falling off one of these nowadays is an expensive business. In fact I didn't even fall off, the sidestand bolt sheared and it just fell over! More cracks in the fairing and broken mirror pod and indicator lens (again!).
They are really for spares anyway, as I've binned the standard mirrors in favour of seperate mirror and indicator units on my 906 (following the above incident). But with two 906's it's worth having them on the shelf.
I'll put some pictures of it on the forum when I get the chance.
Frank.61

Post by Frank.61 »

Hi, a real bargain. :thumbup:

Had a similar situation, paid twice €70 for a used left mirror but they turned out to be worse then my damaged one.
So bought myself a pair of FAR mirrors for €130 incl. 2 spare lenses. :cool:

Maybe not the original top notch quality but at least they are new and with a good paintjob the bike will look like new (I hope :lol: ).
Restoring the original mirrors is something for later ......

Again, lots of fun with them, post a picture or two of the mirrors (mounted ones)!

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Spaggy

Post by Spaggy »

As I have now found a source for these, I have enquired about buying a "job lot" with the thought that I might get a better deal for fellow UK Paso owners.
Now bearing in mind that I haven't seen them yet, so can't comment on quality etc, but there are precious few options, I've asked about buying 5 pairs direct from the factory.
This means I could pass them on to anyone else looking for a new pair of mirror/indicator units for (this is tentative but...) about £90 delivered, compared to just over £100 if you bought them direct. Any more and I might get them slightly cheaper.
So the question is, without committing yourself yet, is there anyone else out there who'd want a pair of complete mirror/indicator units at this price? If so, reply to this post and let me know whether you want a pair, or just a left or right, and in what colour (if available).
If there are enough to make it worthwhile I'll order a bunch of them, but I'm not spending a load of dosh to have them sat in my garage and on e-bay for fifteen years.
So, any takers?
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

In the not so distant past this occurred be careful where your offer may take you :lol:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2494
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Spaggy

Post by Spaggy »

Thanks Englishstiv, I note the problems you had.
I see this was about eight years ago though, so there may be a new "market" for a few.
However, I'm only going to order them if I get some firm demand and the cash up front, that's why I just asked about 5 pairs initially.
As an update, they only come in red now, and I've had a couple of inquiries from friends in the DOCGB, so it's looking promising.
I don't want to make anything on them, just help out anyone looking for the proverbial hens teeth. However, if I got some firm demand for, say, 4 pairs, I'd probably buy 5 and do the same as you - Ebay!
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

I needed a left one but bought a new FA one from Motoscience. http://www.moto-science.com/product/duc ... ror-168990
If I'd known this offer was going to come up I'd have awaited :?
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

I will definitely pay up for a LHS one. If the price is A bit less than the Amazon one listed above I may want a RHS as well.
Keith mm
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

I needed a left hand lense to get through the MOT (annual bike test in uk) so I took the plunge with the FAR units advertised on Amazon (about £90 from memory).
The lense definitely fit and looks fine. If one was being hyper critical you could say they were about 1mm smaller around the edge but you really have to look and compare obsessively to notice it. In fact no one would notice if you said nothing- infinitely better than a big hole. As far as the casing goes it's definitely a pattern part. If my original one smashed into a hundred parts I would fettle and tweak this one to the point you could not distinguish between the two. It would take a bit of work but better than having nothing. If the original one cracked in two or three I would probably repair it. Are they worth £90 ? Absolutely. Given the shortage of good original ones this is a good purchase. Buy a pair for two good new lenses and two cases for a nightmare scenario.
Keith MM