Alternative connector for alternator

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Alternative connector for alternator

Post by Kmamac »

As mentioned elsewhere my 906paso appeared to have some rather unsuitable replacement cable into the alternator. Procuring some 4mm csa wire is not a problem but connecting to the pair of yellow wires to the regulator is an issue. I do have a decent 'proper' crimper for regular size connectors on a bike. However, I do not have anything that will crimp something 4mm csa and don't want to pay a lot of money for something butch enough to crimp 4mm CSA properly. I have come across some electronics connectors that will cope with up to 60A they are called XT60. They are designed to be soldered and have gold plated ends. OK they are not waterproof but sealer and a good application of silicone grease inside should sort that out. On most other bikes I would not like the look of this connector but the damn thing is covered by the bodywork!!! You will never ever see it! I'm sure a few purists will recoil in horror but I'm quite pleased.
Hope this helps someone.
Keith MM in SE London
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
angelix
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

Re: Alternative connector for alternator

Post by angelix »

These are great connectors, just make sure you buy them from a reputable vendor, often these are counterfit and melt when you sold them (the original good ones do not melt!)

great tip, I will use it on my Special SS...
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Re: Alternative connector for alternator

Post by Derek »

I've been using Powerpole modular connectors for the alternator connectors with good results on various bikes for the past few years. They worked wonders on my son's 916. Terminals rated at 30A and 45A are available.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... connectors
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland