Another one back on the road

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Another one back on the road

Post by Kmamac »

Well after a few months I have finally got the 906 fixed, MOT'ed and taxed. Another one back on the road. I took her out for a couple of hours into the countryside and a most pleasant ride was experienced.
I had to take it very easy on the corners as it still has the 10+ year old tyres on it. (Just about to order some new rubber).
Having being spoilt by 150 bhp of the multistrada I had forgotten how the 2 valves produce a smooth torque rich experience from low down all the way to the red line. No explosive end of tacho experience but it was very nice to leave it in a gear and let the engine pull it out of corners. Also nice to rediscover the 'joy of thrashing' so to speak. Do that in a couple of gears on a modern 150 bhp bike and you can be in a hedge pretty quickly!!
The cont 2:1 is an absolute joy and really adds to the whole experience. Only little quibble was when I drove out of London through the traffic. When going from zero throttle to say a couple of degrees of throttle turn, it was a little bit snatchy. Nothing massive and to be honest I can live with it, if that's the best it can be. However, if fixable I would like to fix it. I do have a little oil leak from somewhere at the rear of the engine but to be honest I will live with this for a good few months- time to enjoy her for now.
Totally impressed at how modern the suspension is. After jumping off a skyhook multistrada one would expect the paso to feel a bit agricultural. Absolutely not - very impressed. On the comfort front I went from a 999s to a multistrada as the wrist thing was becoming a pain. A bit worried I may be going back into this arena of pain with the paso but none of it. Really pleased, two hours racing about the back lanes and no discomfort.
The 16 inch experience? Well I still have the memory of being in my 20's and getting a corner spectacularly wrong and having to slam the anchors on mid corner and being freaked out by the way the paso sat up. Today I was reassured that with 'non emergency' behaviour the 16" wheels felt absolutely fine. I was very reassured and pleased with how she behaved. We all know with hindsight 17" seems to be the optimum size for road bikes but I suspect some people have made a bit of an over amplified fuss about it.
All in all very impressed and overjoyed I have rediscovered the love of the paso after 26 years- I did not realise what a lucky 20 something boy I was at the time.
So what did I need to do to get her going again- here's a list.

Oil, filter air filter,plugs and coolant
New pads front and rear plus new stainless hose at front.
New battery
Reshimmed valves
New cable into/ out of alternator.
Repaired thermostat body
Carb taken off and on and about 8 times.
Air box and tank taken off about 15 times.
Ultrasonically cleaned and dismantled carb - twice( aaaarrrggghhh)
New fuel pump
All new petrol pipes
2 new fuel filters
Pressure regulator and bracket added.
Number of hours with remote fuel tank, carb balancing attached - far too many.
Amount of knowledge gained about Weber carburettors - far more than I had feared was necessary.
Plus a few jobs I've forgotten.
Many many thanks to all the people on the forum who helped me to get to this stage. I know I could not have done it with out this forum.
Am I happy? You bet I am.
Why oh why did Ducati only sell1800 of these magnificent beasts?
Why do people say they are ugly?
Why are they much maligned?
Why are they so cheap?
Do you know what? I don't care what they say I love this machine
:-)
Keith MM in a sunny (ish) SE London
Attachments
image_zpsuqmu3am6.jpg
image_zpsuqmu3am6.jpg (388.23 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
Thebenelliman
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Another one back on the road

Post by Thebenelliman »

Well done nothing better Han putting a great bike back on the road! All the hard work rewarded, here's to your next ride on the Paso!
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254