marzzocchi duo shock leaking oil

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
typhon

marzzocchi duo shock leaking oil

Post by typhon »

i had a leak in the rear shock hose. i have changed it out with a braided steel one. what i need to know now is: what type of oil do i use to recharge the shock and to what p.s.i. should it be pressurized to?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

typhon :confused:
chrisjpitt

Duo-shock oil & pressure

Post by chrisjpitt »

Typhon,

The oil in the shock is 5w and the pressure is around 60psi (although some documentation says around 100psi). Mine works with 60psi OK, so it's up to you. If you aim for 100 psi with a tyre guage, you might get somewhere between the two, as there is so little volume in the res. You can fill it with air straight from an air line if you wish - dry gas is not needed in this application.

Regards,

Chris.
typhon

Post by typhon »

Well, I got it filled with 5w oil and actually found someone who had the proper equipment to pressurize it with nitrogen. Took your advice and had it filled to 80psi. I figured right in the middle of the two extremes should be safe. I put it back on the bike and NOTHING!! I mean absolutely no damping at all. It was like a trampoline...bucked me right out of the seat. Don't know what to do now. I have never experienced that with a shock before. Should I have the thing rebuilt and by whom? Marzocchi have informed me that they won't touch it. And if I do replace it, what is a good replacement?

Thanks for the help.

typhon
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

here's an out-of-date article that might steer you in the right direction for a replacement:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... cle&sid=30
mika750paso

Post by mika750paso »

Hi Typhon,

As I have earlier post this information to the Paso group site.
There is an Italian manufacturer for rear shocks to use in Paso,
or at least their list got those.
They have different types depending what you want, from racing type to street type.

This is their website http://www.bitubo.com

Mika :thumbup: