Coolant check . Any help appreciated

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
gavadava
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Coolant check . Any help appreciated

Post by gavadava »

Hi all. I'm a London based Ducati enthusiast of many years. I used to have older stuff (even older, I should say) but now have only a recently acquired 906 and I'm not used to water cooling.
Getting to the point- I've got a very stupid question. How do I check the coolant level ?
Should I be able to see it in the expansion tank when the engine is cold ?
There seems to be no obvious indicator on the side of the tank and not a lot to be learnt from the owners handbook.
Any help would be most appreciated . Gavin
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: Coolant check . Any help appreciated

Post by Mc tool »

header tank should be about 1/2 full. There is an over flow tube connected near the filler cap and the whole plot is pressurised just like the car , so fill her up 1/2 way , and then keep a bit of an eye on it till you can be sure your not leaking fluid somewhere :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Just as Mc Tool suggests, I would run it around the block with the fairings off up to temp and fill as required. It is not the easiest of things to check with the fairings on, On my 907ie I have gone the water-less route and will with my 906 too. The bonus is the liquid is very dark so easy to see and the one sold by Demon Tweeks changes colour if your Cylinder Head goes south. :thumbup:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

Hi Gavin
I'm also in London. Where are you specifically? Would be nice to meet sometime on paso's if you're up for that?
I'm in SE London Forest Hill on the south circular.
Best regards
Keith MM
gavadava

Post by gavadava »

Hi all, apologies to all for the incredibly slow response- I was expecting to get a notification through my email account of any replies, as I hadn't I had assumed there'd been none.
Thanks for the assistance to all concerned.
The bike has been running well but I'm now looking for a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit if anyone has any ideas ?
Keith - apologies again, turns out I am around the corner in Catford ! My daughter is at school in Sydenham. It would be good to meet up and chat Pasos sometime. Obviously I'm off the road until I can get some slave seals but you're welcome to drop in for a cuppa if you're out and about anytime on your 906.
Best regards, Gav 07958760759
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Have a look in the FAQ's as there is guff there re fitting a later model slave piston and seal off an SS, bit of home mechanicing involved but a sensible mod to do if your in the area
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
gavadava

Post by gavadava »

Cheers Hamish, I'm looking into it.