starter removal

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

starter removal

Post by a330us »

Hello, been awhile but always lurking. I picked up a nice blue and white with low miles last month but starter didn't work when it got here so been searching for removal and not finding much on the specifics. Do you really have to remove left side of engine, drain oil and water, frame member just to get at that bolt? Is there any other way to repair the starter in place?
I'm getting old and I work slow and probably running out of time :lol: Thanks Arch.
Bluey
year: 1991

Re: starter removal

Post by Bluey »

Pretty sure you have too... that's what i did anyway.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

a330us wrote:Hello, been awhile but always lurking. I picked up a nice blue and white with low miles last month but starter didn't work when it got here so been searching for removal and not finding much on the specifics. Do you really have to remove left side of engine, drain oil and water, frame member just to get at that bolt? Is there any other way to repair the starter in place?
I'm getting old and I work slow and probably running out of time :lol: Thanks Arch.
Yes, that's the procedure for removing the starter. Some folk have apparently succeeded in changing the brushes with the starter in situ but I don't think I'd even try that. Before pulling the starter out check it's non-operation by bridging the solenoid terminals or using a jump lead to apply the battery direct to the starter terminal.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Doable but tricky.
You have to mark top, body and engine before removing starter, they fit together one way only.
Can be very timeconsuming fiddling w brushes and rotating housing to fit the 2 long bolts going through etc.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
a330us

Post by a330us »

Thanks and just saw another couple weeks of my life flash before my eyes! Arch.
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi Arch.

It's been a little while, so the memory is a little rusty, but if it is the same as the 907 you won't need to drain the oil. The only oil that I found behind the alternator cover was forced in by the oil pump when the motor was turned over by hand. The frame rail should should also just unbolt. You can't get away without removing the alternator cover! When I changed the sprag bearing I did drain the coolant, but that was more for access to the assembly. With a little swearing and a small amount of yelling, you might get away without draining the coolant, but if it has been sitting a while, it might be worth changing it anyway?

Cheers.
Nick.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

As nickta sez , and if you can lean the bike over a bit ( securely ) makes the job easier. I undo all the other bolts 1st then lean the thing over ( propped up on garage wall ) off with the cover and when you take out that bolt inside the cover the starter can be got with one hand . Probly would pay to replace the bearing and the seal while you have the starter out ( both can be got at the local bearing shop ) :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
a330us

Post by a330us »

Thanks, all good advice, since I don't know when any service was done I'm going to do everything including valves and belts. Man it would be nice to buy something just once that ran right off the truck! Oh, here's a idea, stop buying stuff :lol: Arch.