Any golden tyres/Shinko tyres left?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Any golden tyres/Shinko tyres left?

Post by Kmamac »

Trying to source some front and rear tyres with little/ no success.
Golden tyres uk website has both front and rear listed. I was a bit shocked at the price of £275 for the pair so was curious if there was delivery on top. At the next stage it tells me they are not available but will be 'back ordered'. Not sure if that means wait until we run another batch or we will try to find one amongst our distributors- I suspect the former.
Opponeo list the front only at £90. I think pneus used to list it a while back when I last looked but don't list them at all now.
Can someone suggest a uk or Europe source for these tyres. I think there are some in US and Australian sites but I suspect these may be a non starter due to the high shipping costs.
Have I turned back the tyre clocks back to paso world 2005?
Am I now heading towards a spaggy solution listed in an earlier post?
Collective thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Keith mm
Kmamac

Re: Any golden tyres/Shinko tyres left?

Post by Kmamac »

Just to add. Having re read spaggys earlier post I can sort the front end out with a contisport attack 130/70ZR 16 from mytyres.co.uk for £87. I'm still screwed with the rear tyre unless I mess about with the swinging arm spaggy style. I want to use her NOW!
Where are the 160/60 16's?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

How did you do that!!,!, top of the class. I spent a good amount of time googling for the tyres last night without joy. You are a super Google star.
I have just ordered them at £209 of our ever depreciating pounds from candw.
Should have them fitted by a local tyre place by next weekend!
Grazie mille
Keith mm
Frank.61
year: 1989

Post by Frank.61 »

You can order them (Shinko tyres) also from Germany:
MC Reifenservice Alfred Shenk (email: schenk@mc-reifen.com)

If you live in Europe and can't get them this is an easy and relative cheap solution.
For my Suzuki I pay almost the same amount just for the rear tyre :lol:

Front tyre SR880 130/60-ZR16 €107
Rear tyre SR881 160/60-ZR16 €120
P&P UK: 1 tyre €22, 2 tyres €25
P&P Italy: 1 tyre €18, 2 tyres €21
They supply almost every country in Europe, I gave these 2 (UK & Italy) as an example.

I have ordered them a few months ago and got them within 3 days on my doorstep.
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

wasn`t aware that mc ships also outside Germany.

Keith, happy to help. It seems you got the last set they had in stock as only the rear tire is now shown on c&w`s website.

I do assume GT/Shinko are producing the tires in batches. It seems to me that general availability was better last year and that there are more Shinko tires available than GT which is why I think that sooner or later the production under the GoldenTire brand will be ended and only Shinko will remain.
Availability might be better if there was a constant (even if low) demand. This would only exist if the bikes were used on regular basis and not only for a short sunday spin a few times a year. Saving the tires for that or buying two sets at once and storing them in case the tire situation might change again in future sends the wrong signals to any tire manufacturer. The issue is not only on the side of the tire suppliers but also on ours.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.

Post by angelix »

http://www.nikpneumatici.com/ in Irtaly has both at 280EU per set

i know they ship FOC to italy, I guess they can ship also to other EU locations at a good price

They provide an excellent service and I only buy from them.

Tthe website is in Italian only, but it is quite easy to understand.
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

Thanks for all the current pointers to stocks of 16" tyres. This should be useful for a few people over the new few months I'm sure. Mine have arrived today so should be fitted this weekend.
Paso750 is correct, unless we use our paso's ( and F1's dB1 's etc !) the demand for 16" will reduce to almost nothing and golden tyre/Shinko will not even consider another run. The result of this is either expensive alterations to 17" or a museum piece we can't use on the road.
Get out there and ride!!!!!
Keith mm
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah I still have this pic ...... and the tires :)
Attachments
DSC01010.jpg
DSC01010.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 15080 times
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

Wow! You really are committed to the paso! Even if the world goes to s**t and we end up living in a post modern steam punk dystopian future I know there will still be a paso blitzing through the twisty roads of New Zealand!,
Nice one
Regards
Keith MM
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

Took the new Shinko tyres out of their packaging and took them to the local tyre place. Fully expecting the manufactured date to be a few years back when they first announced they were going to make them. Pleasantly surprised to see week 5 and week 6 of 2016 as the manufacturing date on the side! Maybe with all the JIT and small batch sizes of modern manufacturing they really can know out a small handful every few months to meet demand. As previously mentioned - ride you paso's, wear out your tyres and keeping those moulds working!!
Keith MM.
Ps when the tyres were off it became obvious the rear wheel bearings were absolutely knackered as well as the sprocket carrier. Tops marks for this site as bearing numbers are detailed in the FAQ section. Not sure how long they would have gone before collapsing- not far I fear. Good job I was replacing the rubber.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Are these still called 880/881. Trying to buy some t the moment but the shop is calling them by a different number.

Cheers
Andrew
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

The SR880/881 are Shinko, GT070/071 are Golden Tyre.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Sorry, I meant to say Shinko. The shop I'm getting them off are calling them by a different number and I'm a bit suspicious that they're not getting me the correct tyre so was wondering if they have changed the i.d. number.
james
year: 0

Post by james »

I am putting Shinko tires on my 906 this spring. I had my local ( Honda ) shop in western Massachusetts order them for me because they are good people and if they mark them up a bit that's OK; they also mounted them. I haven't been out yet - new tires in the rain - but the tread is deep enough to almost encourage some off roading....NOT ! No one will mistake them for Pirelli Phantoms, but they are the right size, so that is good. SR880 and SR881 are the correct identification.

I also checked the wheel bearings and found one that was a bit lumpy feeling, so replaced them both from E.B. Atmus Co. in Springfield, Massachusetts. I ordered on line at 8:40 PM on Friday and they were UPSed to my front door on Monday morning with FREE shipping. # 63004 2R9S both sides.