Potential 906 owner

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Pollorey

Potential 906 owner

Post by Pollorey »

Please explain why you guys own a Paso, joys, tribulations of ownership, life expectancy and availability of OEM parts....How tough is it to own one of these gorgeous creatures? I'm looking at a 906.

What are typical problems, quirks, what to look for in a bike before owning, questions to ask. What wears first? what needs to be replaced often?

How comfortable is it on extended trips? What's the longest trip that can be taken in comfort? What does it excel in?

what are the production figures for the 906, 907?

Basically...is it a bike you enjoy for its looks or can you actually use it too? Is it both gorgeous and practical?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

welcome to the site. I'm sure you will get all your questions dealt with in infinite detail by a couple of post whores here. If you make the plunge and buy one ,you will be kicking your self for holding off and doubting yourself on the decision to own one of THE class bikes of its era.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Why own Paso???

Simply, it have such character, what You cant find from any other bike! Also can say, that not from any other Ducati!!!! That Tamburini's styling is over everthing :thumbup: Only some notes here:

Its not so easy motorbike to own, need plenty of maintain and spare parts are coming hard to find(maybe one spare part bike can be good investment), electrics are not so well designed, especially in 750 Paso and 906, but electrician friend can be good to own, if You are not(btw, very many of my Ducatifriends are connected some way to electric, what i can understand quite well...I am also electrician.) As i told, many spare parts are difficult to find these days, but internet is good source to find many things.

Anyway, if U drive Paso, everybody is looking(especially women, if U have red one!) and U have to explain very often, why You bike is SOOOO GOOD LOOKING.... surely everybody, who owns Paso, keep Her in very good shape, like a new one!

Antti
Paso 750
Paso 907IE
ST4S

Forget to mention, that difficult to find hard luggages to Paso anymore, but Bagster make tank protector and good tankbags to Paso still. I have Krauser sideboxes in my 907(maybe not anymore available), but i dont know, do they fit to 750 Paso, cause i havent tried ever. 750 Paso is for short trips and 907 and ST4S are for longer journeys :cool:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

It is the soul of the Paso that most inspires me. I love the style, unique, unmistakable & timeless. (I am not a fan of the modern styling that is all angles & headlights). This bike stands out from anything that i have ever seen or ridden. I am a huge fan of the Ducati 2 valve Motor (maybe I am just living in the past). I do not own the Paso for its top speed. I would not care if she could not get above 140km/hr, it is great that it does but I have no interest in the obsession with top speed that the modern motorcycle world & press seem to think is the only reason we want a new biike. I can ride up a steep set of twistys in top gear if I want to with no hassles (try doing that on a modern jap screamer) & it is good to know that in my travels should I ever come across a bogged tractor & can probably pull it out with out fuss. I love the way accelleration is not going to break my neck but is more like being pushed along by welsh Rugby Scrum but still before you know it you are doing illegal speeds.

The bike fits my 180cm & 100kg well & I have ridden 1200km in a day with minimal fuss (not quite as easy as riding the K100RS BMW this distance but then that is what the K series is for) She is also good 2 up with minimal complaint from behind.

Mine has 85000km on it & has always been maintained so I expect the same again from her. Electrics can be dodgy but if you buy a sorted one you will be fine. Standard Headlight is crap. I run the original Weber carbs & do not have a problem with them. THey can make things interesting around town but who wants to ride a Paso round town? (apart from the occassional trip past teh shop windows just to see how good the Paso & I look on the road :laugh: )

On the highway or your favourite set of bends they will hold their own. My 906 still runs the 16inch rubber with no real problems & no complaints about the handling (maybe that is just comparing it to the BMW again).

I think it is the best bike i have ever owned, I just love everything about it. She does like a lot of maintainance but her magnetism draws you in & like a beautiful woman you just want to sit & admire the curves & occassionally run your hand across them.

If you have a family I suggest parking the Bike in your lounge room so they can share you & her because if she is in the shed your family may get annoyed that you are there more than you are with them.

That is why this old "Post Whore" owns his Paso :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
pasomio

Post by pasomio »

I'll agree with many by saying it is simply a "timeless" design. I get a lot of looks and questions about it always followed by a surprised "that things a '90!". There is no other sound in the world like the twin on this Ducati! I live in a warm weather spot and the Weber carbs work great.... the one suggestion I can give is have the electrical looked over top to bottom.
Not being an electrical guy I found it to be the hardest part of restoration. I anted up and switched it all over to a 900SS harness with a different flywheel and it has been awesome since!