Can't up-shift from 2nd gear after garage drop

discussions specific to the 907IE
JohnDoe

Can't up-shift from 2nd gear after garage drop

Post by JohnDoe »

Hello there,

My younger brother (who I'm about to strangle) dropped my 1992 907IE while moving it about the garage. The result was a bent shift lever and scratched / slightly bent clutch lever.
I straightened out the shift lever and checked the shift linkage rod for straightness..nothing seems to be binding but I'm unable to shift up from 2nd gear. The shift lever shifts down normally to first, neutral (neutral light still comes on) and second, but it will not shift up into any other gear. Any ideas will much appreciated.

JC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

It was good to read your post in Spanish, to practise and learn. I have found that the range of movement in the linkage has a direct effect on the way the gears shift. A lot of adjustment is possible: the front part can be adjusted radially on the splines, and in each position the length of the connecting rod can be altered to give a different action. You can also refit the front part vertically (which I have done) which gives a completely new set of positions, affecting the way the components move inside the box. I prefer 'one-up-and-four-down' anway.

It would be worth spending considerable time and effort trying to correct the problem by external adjustment before you open the motor to get inside the box. It just might work.
JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

Skins wrote:It was good to read your post in Spanish, to practise and learn. I have found that the range of movement in the linkage has a direct effect on the way the gears shift. A lot of adjustment is possible: the front part can be adjusted radially on the splines, and in each position the length of the connecting rod can be altered to give a different action. You can also refit the front part vertically (which I have done) which gives a completely new set of positions, affecting the way the components move inside the box. I prefer 'one-up-and-four-down' anway.

It would be worth spending considerable time and effort trying to correct the problem by external adjustment before you open the motor to get inside the box. It just might work.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try readjusting the shift rod and pivot again. Someone also suggested the shift pawl inside the case may've gotten stuck...I hope not...We'll see.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I had a very similar problem with an older bike (albeit not a Ducati), one that was also precipitated by a younger brohter! Same thing; I let him take my bike for a ride, and upon coming to a rest in the driveway - forgot to put his feet down, or something, and down on the side they went.

Anyway, the bent shift linkage meant I only had only 1st & neutral. However, after some tweaking and fiddling, all the gears came back. So to second skins' suggestion, it might take a little messing about, but I'd expect you should get your shifting pattern back to normal pretty easily ...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes
Jake
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

fasterdammit wrote:I had a very similar problem with an older bike (albeit not a Ducati), one that was also precipitated by a younger brohter! Same thing; I let him take my bike for a ride, and upon coming to a rest in the driveway - forgot to put his feet down, or something, and down on the side they went.

Anyway, the bent shift linkage meant I only had only 1st & neutral. However, after some tweaking and fiddling, all the gears came back. So to second skins' suggestion, it might take a little messing about, but I'd expect you should get your shifting pattern back to normal pretty easily ...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes
Jake
Well it seems you guys were absolutely right...I removed and carefully straightened the shift lever and reinstalled the linkage rod...seems the foot rest portion screw had worked itself out to the point that it contacted the shift rod, but ONLY when I put weight on it! That's why it didn't seem to be binding when I worked the lever manually...I retightened everything and it now upshifts normally. Another thing I found out while working under the bike is that the chain seems to have been slapping the underside of the swing arm, I'll have to adjust the chain ASAP... could be time for a new one...Anyway, thanks for your help!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

JohnDoe -
If your chain has been slapping, it could very well need replacing due to being unevenly stretched. Check/replace it immediately -especially if you do a lot of riding! If it's slapping - that could be the result of an uneven chain. Also, if you've noticed any kind of cyclic 'whirring' noise as you're riding, one that seems to pace your road speed - then it's probably uneven.

Best way to check it out: put the bike in neutral, and get it up on the center stand - then spin the rear tire slowly while watching the tension on the lower portion chain at the midpoint between the sprockets. If you notice it getting tighter, then looser, tighter, looser, etc - replace it!

There's simply no way to adjust an uneven chain. If you adjust it at its slackest point, then you'll put immense strain on all the components when the chain cycles around to its tightest; conversely - adjust the chain at its tightest and you may create even more slack. As the suspension cycles through its range of motion through normal use, that slack could very well find itself on the return side and bind. A binding chain at the front sprocket means a blown case = kiss it goobye.

How many miles have you had this particular chain? If it's been a while, a new chain may make a lot more difference than just correcting the slap ... dont' forget to adjust it (a new one) after 150mi or so ...

Good luck
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750