tire info

discussions specific to the 907IE
Stingray230SX
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

tire info

Post by Stingray230SX »

OK heres a question i have been meaning to ask......
my tires are currently ok,they are metzlers front and rear,tread good for now...
when i bought my "project 907" i received a brand new rear tire for future use,seems the P.O. bought it but never got a matching front(some story of typhoons/hurricaines wiping out the dunlop tire factories?)anyway i have a dunlop "204" 180/55/17 for the rear and need a front for when i get lucky and score a second set of rims(i want to polish a set) and see how it looks with something other than the white wheels.
what else fits in the wheel dept,anyways?

so,what can i do about getting a dunlop "204" for the front?
anybody know if thats still available,or is something close i can run or do i need a matching set?

thanks

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

oh the dilemma! you get to choose tires!

:laugh:

BTW, I run MEZ4s on my K11 and really like them. Talked at length with the pirelli/metzeler rep at laguna and he says that the new MEZ6 is even better.
Stingray230SX
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

yea i can get a dunlop d205 for about 100.00,seems most fronts are in that range so no biggie......

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
DucSoup

Post by DucSoup »

Choosing tires?

Wow! What a concept. I am lucky to find our 750 choice (singular) in stock! Still, there's just something about it that keeps me from selling the 750.
chrisjpitt

Dunlop tyres

Post by chrisjpitt »

Doug,

I think the Dunlop D204 (Sportmax) is now considered to be an end-of-line sport-touring tyre (the D205 taking over from it), rather than an out-and-out sports tyre. I used them on my '90-'93 ZX11 and they were pretty good, but they might not offer the same level of grip as the D207, or D208 on something lighter like your 907.

I have used D207s on my 907 for a number of years now and IMHO they are pretty good. They grip even in the not so hot & sunny (read wet) UK and wear pretty well, keeping their shape. They don't upset the handling too much when worn, unlike some tyres I have had. See here: http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chr ... m=bfe0.jpg

I suspect you could fit either D205/207/208 on the front and they would be OK, just depends on how much grip you want. As the rear D204 you have got is a radial, you need to make sure the front is radial also, not bias-belted or crossply - that's all.

See what's being discounted and get a good deal - Dunlop dealers here in the UK are heavily discounting D207s, as the D208 are out.

Regards,

Chris.
erik

Post by erik »

As far as tires go I'm using Bridgestones, BT010's at the moment.
Wet or dry they have been perfect . I have had them at a couple of track days and they are awesome. They don't let go . I'm going to have to go with the "new" BT014's since they are replacing the 010's, not sure why ..

Erik
fastkatanaboy

Post by fastkatanaboy »

The Metzler MEZ6's are the best "sport touring" tires I have ever ridden on!

EXCELLENT feedback! SUper Stick!

INCREDIBLE in the rain!!
and last a long time.
I have 2000+ miles on mine and they still look almost new. They are on my GSXR1100 and I weight 260pounds!
Jhiestand

Pirelli

Post by Jhiestand »

Diablos or Diablo Corsa. Best tire out...period. I put the Diablo Corsas on my 907, 998R, and GSXR1000..