if a few chips in the chrome make any difference? I think that
the fork seals won´t last long??? I found a dealer who can
deliver new innertubes, but 250 euros a piece....... and thats
just the tubes, then seals, bushings, etc.... so is rechroming
an option??
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

hi krakan,
from what i understand rechroming is like painting.if there are blemishes in the product b-4 painting then there will be blemishes in the final product. they would have to be filled in one way or another then chromed. once chromed the o.d. would be larger so they would have to be ground down to the proper diameter. all this adds to the cost.
my buddy needs forks for a guzzi and got a quote from franks forks here in the states and it was something like 110-120 dollars ea. which would make it cheaper than the quote you have. i also needed forks for a guzzi acouple of yrs ago and went with franks forks as they were almost 1/2 the price of o.e.m. guzzi forks. yes, then i needed seals but not any bushing.
do a google search for franks forks and if you come up empty let me know and i'll see what i can find here in the states for you.i can't remember where they are here in the states but it shouldn't be a problem having them shipped. i just ordered a avonaire fairing window from the u.k. and i was told it was cheaper than getting it from a supplier here in the states.
then again if the seals aren't leaking do you really have a problem. the old saying" if it ain't broke broke,don't fix it". or as i like to say "if it ain't fixed ,don't break it".
hope this helps. regards,wiggs
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

Wiggs,
Sorry, Forking By Frank won't do him any good on M1R dia. tubes.About this time last year i was going thru the same hassle.Couldn't find anyone who would re Hardchrome.
On this site a while back there was something about large quantity of Duc parts at large discount,somebody here said bought tubes at real good price[$150 per?].
250 Euros is cheap compared to what i ended up paying a Duc dealer.
By the way 750/906 and 907 tubes DO NOT interchange,don't ask how i know.
Carl
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

wow, 1057 miles in 17 hrs. earl (1 of our dogs) and i just got back from philly delivering the cagiva 650 ss to it's new home. the guy had a 750 paso that he basically never rode and sold it to an employee. it looked real nice too. said he got it from california with 20,000 miles. sound familiar anyone?
carl,i don't know what m1r dia. is. i thought maybe franks could be of help but am glad you posted b-4 too much time was wasted going up a dead end. i read your reply last nite when we got home but wasn't in any condition, mentally, to say thanks.
i still gotta wonder tho,are the seals leaking? if they're not, then i would just run it till they do. good luck finding what you need. sorry for the bum info.
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Wiggs,
Had long conversation with female[can't recall name] who is in charge of that part of business.Seems they buy complete mill run of whatever dia and wall thickness they need. At present they are hard pressed to keep up with orders and M1R is 41.7mm which is different from any others.Says will not consider until business falls off in other sizes.Guess we can thank Jesse,OCC,Ness etc.for keeping them too busy.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

thanks carl,
from what i remember frank was her hubby who passed away some yrs ago now ,if this is the same woman you spoke to.
as far as thanking jesse and friends well , i'm not a chopper guy. when the folks who buy this stuff actually try and ride them for any distance other than down to the local pub i,personally, think there will be alot of choppers for sale CHEAP. this topic has been discussed in depth on the boxerworks forum. i do kinda like some of their looks but wouldn't want to ride one very far nor would i trust the build quality.that's my wooden nickel's worth.
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Your way off base in thinking any of these dudes buy them to ride,even to the local pub.Most spend 50-100 thou to trailer to Daytona or Sturgis or such to have a mutual admiration get together.I guess as they say"different strokes for different folks".
Back to fork tubes,these that i had to replace also only had 4000 miles and had been in need since about 2500 miles.Looked like production foulup as rust was in horizontal lines [short] rather than random spots.possibly didn't grind enough undersize before plating.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

sturgis,yup,been there. fortunately it wasn't during the get together. most of the harley type who go there don't even know it started as an indian gathering,road ride! it's like a bunch of ford fans going to a bow-tie meet. as a former indian owner(we had 9 of them from a 1919 to a 1952) it is rather upsetting. oh,by the way,i do have a h.d..
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

I live on a sailboat about 65 miles from Daytona,attended and participated on rare occasions in the racing since the last 2 races on the beach until about 6 years ago.Talk about not knowing there's races in town? Probably eight out of ten HD owners don't realise there's a track in town! Between "the Lifestyle" and local ripoff artists,called motel owners,they've seen the last of my money.
By the way,your forgiven the HD as you have a couple others that redeem you.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

much thanks for the redemption. usually, my buddy and i ,when told by someone that they have a harley,we tell them" that's o.k.,we're sure they have their good qualities too!" all kidding aside, my friend told me 80 some% of all harleys ever built are still on the road!! apparently the other 20% made it back home!!!!!
i do like the bike i have for what it is. it's as close to an indian that i feel confident to ride anywhere and reminds me, somewhat, of what is was like back in the 30's and 40's.