discussions specific to the 907IE
samandkimberly
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

ready made headlight relay kit

Post by samandkimberly »

Kurt just pointed me to a a post about this company on the 750 Sport BB:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... _kits.html

Out of pure coincidence, I had just ordered one a couple of days ago, and was going to post my feedback when I got it. It's a ready made kit to direct wire your headlight to your battery - just plug your old headlight plug in the harness, run the two fused wires to your battery, and plug their plug into your headlight. Voila - your headlight is now properly fused and run right off the battery! To have this in a ready made kit is F--king brilliant!

As a further bonus - you can buy the double headlight version. Find an FZ700/750 double headlight, buy their harness and you have a properly wired bolt in/plug in dual headlight! This is what I'm doing, and I'll post results when I get it all together.

These are shipping from Japan, and I'm sure they will ship anywhere in the world.

Sam
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Re: ready made headlight relay kit

Post by Tamburinifan »

This is what I'm doing, and I'll post results when I get it all together.
Do post results and, if possible,
before-after pics!
Any way to get a better frontlight is welcome! :)
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Shelboss
year: 1991

Post by Shelboss »

Hi Sam, I have documented the dual headlight conversion I did to mine last year but I don't have enough space to host it. If you are interested, send me a PM with your e-mail and I can forward it. No hurry on the barbed fittings, I just rebuilt the heads, tuned the throttle bodies, and put the panels back on.
samandkimberly
year: 1993

Post by samandkimberly »

I got the relay kit today, 6 days after ordering. Not bad, considering it came from Japan and I live in the eastern US.

The quality is excellent - I'd take some photos, but the ones on their website - http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... _kits.html - are very faithful to what I received. All the connectors are very well assembled, the wire gauge is quite heavy; all in all, it's equal to or better than what I'd make myself.

Installation should be a snap - there are two cables you run to the battery, and they have good terminations on them and they're long enough. The relays have holes on the top of them for screw mounting, but it looks like they would work out very well securely ziptied to the headlight frame. Other than that, it plugs right in. I have the dual headlight harness, which works with the standard Ducati headlight, but has a second connector as well - this makes converting to a dual bulb FZ headlight a 100% bolt-in project. (speaking of which, I have a spare, used FZ headlight I'll sell cheap -PM me if interested.)

I did do a little basic testing. First I shined the standard headlight against my garage wall running through the standard wiring. I compared this with the same headlight using the relay kit; it is easy to swap back and forth by changing the connectors. The difference was noticeable on low beam; dramatic on high beam! With the standard wiring the light is yellow, with the relay kit installed it is bright white. At some point I'll try to do some resistance and voltage comparisons, but that will have to wait.

Next I tried the harness with the double headlight assembly I plan on installing. Even brighter, but not nearly as dramatic a change as the relay kit made. But the combo will meet my lighting requirements for sure.

Bottom line: as far as I'm concerned, this kit is a no-brainer - something I always knew I should do but never seemed to get around to. One will be going on my Moto Morini next.