907 starter motor

discussions specific to the 907IE
trevor

907 starter motor

Post by trevor »

Hi
My starter motor has died and needs to be removed, having not done this job before I'm not up to speed with pulling the unit out, has anybody got any tips about removing the starter. does the side covers need to come off the motor, the manual I have does not help very much........just states you should not have trouble with it.... any ideas would be great.

Regards

Trevor
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

Yes, your side cover needs to be taken off, the starter motor bolts are fastened from the inside. Apart from the cover it is a straightforward job, the starter pinion does not have to be removed, the hole in the engine casing is big enough for it.

Michiel
trevor

907 starter motor

Post by trevor »

cagiva905 wrote:Yes, your side cover needs to be taken off, the starter motor bolts are fastened from the inside. Apart from the cover it is a straightforward job, the starter pinion does not have to be removed, the hole in the engine casing is big enough for it.

Michiel
Thanks Michiel for the info, I will try it over the next few days.

Regards

Trevor
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Trevor - have you done the job yet, because (if the 907 is same as 906) there is a way to 'cheat'..........

Remove oil pressure switch - disconnect battery & starter leads.

Remove end bolts from starter motor - turn end cap slightly should enable bolts & then end cap of starter to be removed.

Check/replace brushes - 'dress' the armature end where the brushes contact. Check bearings/oil seal etc.

Re-assembly is a reverse of the above, coupling with holding your tongue right, mixed with the appropiate amount of swearing........ :thumbup:

When you are looking for brushes - rock along to your Suzuki dealer, & match them up with LTF 500 ATV brushes. These are the same I think - this is what I did on my 906 anyway. Means disassembly of LHS motor casing is'nt needed.
Best of luck, (& don't forget to remain a active site member!!!)
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Good stuff, Duck. I've seen your technique for the starter motor referred to previously - it seems like a good one!
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Skins - my starter died just after I got the bike - rang a mate who had a 900SS & a manual, to see what the story was - it reffered to the 'proper' way, but after having a good look - came up with the above, which worked for what it needed - brushes & a clean.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Duck01 wrote:Trevor - have you done the job yet, because (if the 907 is same as 906) there is a way to 'cheat'..........

Remove oil pressure switch - disconnect battery & starter leads.

Remove end bolts from starter motor - turn end cap slightly should enable bolts & then end cap of starter to be removed.

Check/replace brushes - 'dress' the armature end where the brushes contact. Check bearings/oil seal etc.

Re-assembly is a reverse of the above, coupling with holding your tongue right, mixed with the appropiate amount of swearing........ :thumbup:

When you are looking for brushes - rock along to your Suzuki dealer, & match them up with LTF 500 ATV brushes. These are the same I think - this is what I did on my 906 anyway. Means disassembly of LHS motor casing is'nt needed.
Best of luck, (& don't forget to remain a active site member!!!)
Thanks Duck01 and others, I had the same thoughts and had removed the cap & bushers from the starter without removing the hole unit before asking for help(with plenty of swearing as I did not take the oil pressure switch off) . I then got a bit concerned about the hole job ? (did I f... up or not). I was going to take the bushers in for replacment first then refit & check, if this fails I was then going to take the hole unit apart and have checked out. ? what do you think about this idea...........one side of the striker/bush is worn and apears to require replacement. I've been sick for the last few days and done no more on the unit. Regards

Trevor
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Trevor - sounds like you are on the right track - do the brushes/clean etc - chuck it back together & then tell us what the story is....... :thumbup: :thumbup:
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Trevor,

Don't do what I did. When I reassembled mine, I put something in the wrong way. The bloody thing went backwards!!!! Auto electricians told me this was impossible. After much head scratching, I pulled it apart and saw my mistake. So be careful. I hate doing jobs twice.

Too many years ago to remember how I did mine, sorry.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Well, there's the 'right' way - the 'wrong' way, & the 'Aussie' way of doing things I suppose........... :roll: :roll: :D :D :thumbup:
trevor

907 starter motor

Post by trevor »

Thanks duck, I will get back when I finish the job. It looks like the good old ANZAC rivalry is alive and well to…How be Palmerston North now days, I lived in Auckland for two years back in the early 90’s, base in Auckland and travelled around the northern island for work. I use to do some work at the army base at P. N. Nice place

Regards

Trevor (from the western island as some would say)
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hi Trevor - you lived in Auckland for a while.......you've got my sympathys!!! (I would'nt admit to that in public tooooo often if I was you!!!)
Drove through there the other day - timed it perfectly to hit Auckland traffic at 5pm - yummie, yummie!!! (How CAN they call it a motorway, when the traffic is stopped........... :roll: :roll: :confused: :umm: )

Only been 'here' 3yrs - before that was a 'Mainlander' (still are at heart) - the South Island - where 'men are men............. :thumbup: :thumbup: ' & where ya can buy a decent beer :lick: :lick: :thumbup: :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

I think you might be right about Auckland traffic and the beer, black Mac was one very tasty beer........
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

So hows that starter going now then..............
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi duck, the starter motor………well the side covers had to come off so the unit could be worked on, fixed the unit and re assemble. While there I had a small oil leak from the heads… heads off new seals and check pistons. Working great now no leaks, running like a charm. Changed the front sprocket for a 14 tooth unit as well. much better around the great ocean road...

Regards
trevor