Bad News - Black Duck Down

discussions specific to the 907IE
Buck

Bad News - Black Duck Down

Post by Buck »

Hi Guys, after about 6 months away from the list I'm sad to report that I'm back, but with one less bike on the road.
Bad News - I've crashed 907ie # 001708
Good News - I've got the ultimate excuse for a rebuild, and the bike was getting a bit shabby anyway!
Bad News - The wife was on the back
Good News - In a dazzling display of chivalry I threw myself under her as we went down and broke her fall.
Bad News - She broke one of my ribs when she landed on me.

Anyway, we're both on the mend and the bike seems to have only cosmetic damage, amazing for a 100kph+ off!
The black duck will fly again!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Wow, damn ... hope you're alright. Props for taking the chivalrous route, indeed. Hope Mrs. Buck is alright too. No other bodily harm to either of you than a couple busted ribs? Good deal, if so. Sorry to hear about the bike though ... get on it, and keep us posted!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hi Buck - Sorry to hear bout your crash............ :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
However, welcome to the site, & its real good to see another Kiwi owner on the site (probably nearly more NZers than Aussies on here now... :thumbup: :D :neener: :neener: :roll:
All the best with the rebuild.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

ya did good buck. sorry to hear of this. it's always nice to have the misses on top occasionally! get well soon,the bike too! you are THE MAN in my book.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Well done for saving the Little lady, galant act, sorry about the ribs though, make sure you milk it a bit as we blokes don't get away with much so if you can use it for a bit of pampering go for it, hopefully she is in a better state & still keen to get back on the Black Duck when she makes her return to the road. Any excuse for a rebuild :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Buck I just checked out your 907 & Little Lady in the gallery (001708). I reckon you were right to throw your self under her, I hope you were both wearing all that gear at the time. Good photos by the way, love that licence plate :cool: may i suggest in the rebuild that you budget for a set of Staintune pipes, I am sure your current (look like factory originals) pipes are now too badly damaged & will need to be replaced :thumbup:
Redpaso
Buck

Post by Buck »

Thanks guys,
Yep, the missus is worth saving, although I really didn't have much input into what happened, it was one of those accidents where you try to find somewhere relatively soft to land because not crashing is just not an option any more.
Duck01, thx for the welcome dude, i've been on the mailing list since late '99, and there's another listmember/907 owner in Nelson that i know of. Where's the photo of yours in the gallery? *subtle hint*
Anyway, the mufflers are repairable, which I'm really happy about as they're Bosdempers, which are comparable, if not superior to Staintunes. Before anyone flames me about that last comment I'd just like to point out that my bike with K&N and Baines racing chip fitted came out 1hp higher than my friends 907 fitted with K&N, FBF chip & Staintunes! It's the build quality that I believe gives Bos the edge, but only just.
The fairing repairs will be substantial, but I have another 907 with good fairings to take a mould off, something for the other NZ members to remember, although hopefully you'll never need them.
Do any of you guys know of an NZ or Australian source of FAR indicators?
Cheers, & TTFN
Buck
P.S. The Missus says next time she'll ride her own bike (M900)
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

If you want to source indicator or anything try Gowanloch Ducati in Sydney.

http://www.ducati-gowanloch.com

Not sure how you will go with indicators though. there was someone selling about a dozen sets in the classifieds forum a few weeks back they were in europe somewhere, have a look & see if he still has some, if you have to make a mould from your other 907 let us all know for future reference, they are pretty scarce nowdays so you could have a nice little earner there. Hope she is backon the road soon. Till then can you borrow the M900 or will you have to get on the back :laugh: :thumbup:
Redpaso
Buck

Post by Buck »

The fairings need such an extensive repair that it'd be a shame to waste original mirrors on it, i'll use the new type and modify the fairings to fit, as i've got to repaint them anyway.
I'll check Gowanloch's thx for that.
As for riding on the back of the monster, stuff that, the pillion seat would cut me in half. Even the missus won't ride on the back of it, she did once and says that was enough. But the 907ie, that's a different matter entirely, you can still get in the saddle after 8 hours in the saddle ;)
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hi Buck - have noticed you have left a msg on Trademe, re the 907 there from your area - is that bike the original red - looks darker but might be the photo. Red rims too............ :umm: :umm:
Buck

Post by Buck »

Not quite my area, about 1 1/2 hours ride away. The owner approached me when he saw me at the gas station, but he wasn't on the bike. It is the original paint, but he liked the thought of red rims so got them painted. I prefer the white.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Might end up priced right though...............
Buck

Post by Buck »

I don't think the price will be that sharp as he's only selling it because he's building a house, but doesn't NEED to sell. Besides which, I'd be quite happy to see him keep it as he seemed like a reasonable bloke and he said he likes it, and didn't seem to want to trade it for anything else.
I will definitely be getting mine back on the road, it's not that bad, and even if it was I've got an insurance wreck from England in the shed already, so I'm not stuck for many parts.
The ribs are mending ok so I should be stripping mine down soon to see just what's broken.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

It is always handy to have a spare in the shed for parts, no boubt the body is not suitable if it is a wreck, please keep us posted onthe progress, some pics would be great.

My brother has a M1000 & his wife only rode on the back once as well, she said that after the Paso rear seat nothing came close apart from my K100RS, that is why they should ride themselves. :thumbup:
Redpaso