HELP-Engine RPM does not slow when throttle is released...

discussions specific to the 907IE
campbell

HELP-Engine RPM does not slow when throttle is released...

Post by campbell »

I have a problem that started Monday while riding. When I release the throttle the engine RPM does not drop for a few seconds. It does eventually come down to a reasonable level but not to a normal idle speed. This seems to only occur when the bike is at normal operating temp.. Even if I force the hand grip to a closed throttle position it will not slow down. It will start and idle fine when statred from cold but begins as the operating temp. rises to normal. I am guessing that it is not a throttle cable issue as it performs normally when cold.
I suspect a sensor that is telling the computer to keep RPM up, where do I start to look for the problem? Is this a common issue with these bikes?
The bike is a 92 w/13,000 miles. I am running the Euro chip w/Staintunes and a K&N w/lid. I bought the bike new and there are no Ducati dealers within 150 miles of me so I appreciate any tips that you can provide.
Thanks
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi there!

I had same problem some years ago and reason was that one water cooling hose, what was too close to body throttle axle at left side and that makes, that axle cant move freely. Cable tie can tight hose to frame and it helps in my case :thumbup: Easy to fix, when find reason......

Finnpaso
Inoxidable

Re: HELP-Engine RPM does not slow when throttle is released.

Post by Inoxidable »

Hello,
I am an off-road biker and I think maybe the engine is taking air somewhere.

I'm sorry my englisch is not so very good.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Dude, I had the same thing happen in the middle of a tour (I was in the French Alps at the time), took 20 mins to fix, the throttle linkages pivot points had dried out and the throttle stuck open.........only happened after the bike got hot. Anyway, worth looking for the easy fix first.
Buck
campbell

Post by campbell »

:thumbup:
Thanks to all who responded to my delima, each one was a good suggestion and I pursued all.
Finnpaso had the solution to the issue as the coolant hose was interfering with the throttle linkage. This only occured when the bike was running at over normal operating temp (in town on hot days) I would have never suspected any issue with the coolant hose as there was clearance under normal operating conditions.
We synced the throttle bodies after repositioning the hose and it is running GREAT!
Thanks again...